2018 Event Support Program

Home Forums LUG discussions 2018 Event Support Program

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

Here are the details. Similar to last year, but with the addition of the tiers. Now we also know the sets we’d get…which include some really nice ones! Start earning that credit!

Recognized LEGO Fan Community Program | Event Support 2018

RLFCP | Event Support Program

The Event Support Program purpose is to appreciate Recognized Community Members for their effort in relation to running a community event. This program is not designed to drive or create fan events.

Events with less than 10 participating Recognized Community Members and an estimated public attendance less than 500 do not qualify for Event Support.

Examples of Supported Events

A building event and/or exhibition at a local library or museum
    A collection of LEGO MOCs built by the Recognized Community Members and placed on public display
    A building event and/or exhibition as part of a larger expo/event organized by a third party

The Level of Support

An approved event will be provided Free Support and may be eligible to take advantage of Purchased Support. Details and inventory on Free Support and Purchased Support Options can be found in the LAN Programs Forum on the LEGO Ambassador Network.

Free Support (applicable to all):

Tier

Free Support Package

Tier 1

1 LEGO Set Box (T1)
    1 Play Brick Boxes*

Tier 2

2 LEGO Set Boxes (T2)
    2 Play Brick Boxes*

(*in countries where we cannot ship the Play Brick Box, an Activity Box will be shipped instead)

The Application Process

Applications are to be handed in no less than 90 days in advance of the event, otherwise we are not able to guarantee support

Events with less than 10 participating Recognized Community Members and an estimated public attendance less than 500 do not qualify for Event Support.
    Once the supported event/activity/project has ended, the LAN Ambassador is to submit a summary report no later than 30 days after the event/activity/project using the appropriate link found in the Support Program Forums on LAN.
    Failure to timely submit the report will result in further applications for any type of support being rejected and could potentially lead to loss of recognition.
    LEGO Set Box Tier 1 Inventory:

10712, 10715, 31072, 31074, 31075, 31080, 42074, 42077, 41599, 41600, 41602, 41598, 41603, 21312, 21032, 21310, 21039,

LEGO Set Box Tier 2 Inventory:

10260, 21310, 42078, 31081, 31079, 31076, 31073, 10715, 10712, 21039, 70921

Josh
    Keymaster
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Thanks for being on top of this, Josh. Looks basically the same as far as requirements, as you said. Which means the discussion about which events to submit now, and which to submit along the way next year, is pretty much on track. The biggest thing will be confirming our plans and committing our members (at least 10!) to doing certain events at least 3 months before they happen.

I’m going to cross-thread with the general 2018 LUG Support thread, specifically this post, so we can keep further Event Support discussion here instead of over there.

PLANNED EVENT SUPPORT EVENTS FOR 2018:
    Format: – EVENT NAME / MONTH / Likelihood of event happening (10 = definitely, 1 = unlikely)

Need to have at least 500 public attendees, and at least 10 members participating (building and/or staffing)

To submit by 2017.12.21:

– International Childrens Festival / May / 9
    – Cranberry Library Summer Reading / June / 9
    – PA Trolley Summer / June / 9

To submit in 2018, no later than 90 days prior to event:

Ligonier Valley RR Association Model Home Tour / May / 0
    – Greenberg’s Train & Toy Show / July / 4
    – Punkin Trolley / October / 9
    – Maker Faire / October / 6*
    – Greenberg’s Train & Toy Show / November / 9
    – Santa Trolley / November / 10
    – Cranberry First Night / November / 8

– Bethel Park Library Display / Whenever? / 6
    – SW Randall Evolving Display / Nov-Jan / **

So the ones in bold are my current recommendations to submit for Event Support… this can be modified as needed, but we’ll want to ensure 5 from the second list if we want to max out.

* – fantastic event, and we had a blast in 2015 and 2016, but we didn’t have people to lead and staff and make sure it happened for us this year… If we can muster leadership by July to drive it, it’s in, but I don’t want to submit it to TLG and then have it fall apart on us… I’d think our next bet would be something like the BP library display, or SW Randall (**if we do that again next fall/winter…@zaximillian, what are your thoughts for doing that late 2018?)

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by Matt Redfield.
    Rich Millich
    Participant

As for SWR 3, I will not be running this event, as I’ve committed to attacking the builds I want to do. However, this is sweet spot of low logistics, high creativity and a low bar for builders to enter it. I predict that it could easily happen next year.

Tim

I agree with the first three to submit by 12/21 (this Thursday). Cranberry Summer Reading would need to beef up participation from the last two years (where we’ve had 4-5 people each year) and back to prior years where we had 10+ people involved (a la the Dig Into Reading display). Let’s get these submitted ASAP.

On the second list, I think all he Bold other than Maker Faire are very solid. As Matt notes, Maker Faire is another great choice but based on past experience, we would need to get more participation. We would also need to get more participation for Cranberry First Night. Cranberry Days is another event (several thousand people attend over the 3 days) but we skipped that this year. Further discussion at the Q4 is warranted but this is a great list to work from.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Thanks for reminding me that you’d said already you won’t lead SWR for 2018, Rich. But yeah, it’s a relatively easy gig, aside from all the scheming of how to do the evolving display. (In fairness, evolving every 2 weeks probably isn’t a requirement to continue doing displays there… not saying we shouldn’t keep challenging ourselves, just that if worse came to worst, we could install a static display and still get credit for Event Support purposes…)

Cranberry Summer Reading would need to beef up participation from the last two years (where we’ve had 4-5 people each year) and back to prior years where we had 10+ people involved (a la the Dig Into Reading display).

As Matt notes, Maker Faire is another great choice but based on past experience, we would need to get more participation.

Ay, there’s the rub! Aside from the Big Three*, we have a lot of events that are cool and fun, but don’t necessarily draw enough members consistently. I’d consider this a challenge to us to double down on the medium-awesome events and ensure we hit them hard with builders and staffers so there’s no question about submitting them for Event Support (or turning ourselves in if we don’t meet the requirements…)

*ICF is low effort besides showing up, and we usually have a bunch of people do at least one shift, and it obviously crushes the 500 attendees. Greenberg’s November is likewise usually heavily staffed and built for, and much of that display ends up at Santa Trolley, too. I’m not concerned about reaching the 10/500 numbers for those.

Tim

Since “participation” appears to include both “building” and “staffing”, we should be able to fairly easily meet the requirements, even on the medium events. It’s generally easier to get commitments (and follow through) to build then to staff. But the medium events don’t need as much staffing and we have enough talent in our group that we should be able to produce great displays consistently.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Since “participation” appears to include both “building” and “staffing”, we should be able to fairly easily meet the requirements, even on the medium events. It’s generally easier to get commitments (and follow through) to build then to staff. But the medium events don’t need as much staffing and we have enough talent in our group that we should be able to produce great displays consistently.

Indeed.

For the record, the first three were indeed submitted this past week. So now we have to step up and hit these events hard:

– International Childrens Festival / May / 9
    – Cranberry Library Summer Reading / June / 9
    – PA Trolley Summer / June / 9

It’s never too early to plan to participate in the other ones we’re likely to submit for Event Support in 2018, either:

To submit in 2018, no later than 90 days prior to event:

– Greenberg’s Train & Toy Show / July / 4
    – Punkin Trolley / October / 9
    – Maker Faire / October / 6*
    – Greenberg’s Train & Toy Show / November / 9
    – Santa Trolley / November / 10
    – Cranberry First Night / November / 8
    – Bethel Park Library Display / Whenever? / 6
    – SW Randall Evolving Display / Nov-Jan / **

Based on this year’s participation numbers, I’m thinking SWR is better to submit than First Night (sorry, Tim! Just the facts.) BUT, that means someone other than Rich needs to lead SWR… @randomdan, @willmcdine, @arcadiumsol…? We don’t need to commit just yet, just saying… when August rolls around, we’ll need to plan this! Unless we’ve already covered our 5 Event Support events (like, say, if we do Greenberg’s in July + Punkin Trolley + MF + Greenberg’s Nov + Santa Trolley…) We have time, but the 90-day deadlines do sneak up on you if you don’t keep on top of things, so… let’s keep on top of this!

Dan
    Participant

I can commit to organizing SWR next year.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Has the Cranberry Library told us the them for 2018 yet? @timf

I’m guessing we can find a way to get SWR done next year. When we finish off in Feb, I plan to take more exact measurements of the empty case for future reference.

Tim

Has the Cranberry Library told us the them for 2018 yet?

When we were taking down this summer’s display. I asked the librarian Annemarie what next year’s theme would be. I believe she said it was “Music” but I can not remember for certain. I have sent her an email to confirm the theme and will let you know.

Josh
    Keymaster

Reminder, We want to make sure we have 10 contributing members for supported events.

These are the 8 events we chose this year to submit our support applications for 2018.
    – International Childrens Festival / May – http://www.steelcitylug.com/forum/topic/childrens-festival-may-17-20/
    – Cranberry Library Summer Reading / June – http://www.steelcitylug.com/forum/topic/2018-cranberry-library-summer-display/
    – PA Trolley Summer / June – @laura we need a thread. [EDIT: thread here: http://www.steelcitylug.com/forum/topic/summer-2018-display-pa-trolley-museum/ – Matt]

the applications for those 3 events were submitted in 2017, being grandfathered/bonus under the old support rules.

These are the 5 events that will be submitted soon:

– Greenberg’s Train & Toy Show / July – @digivolution is there a thread? [EDIT: thread here http://www.steelcitylug.com/forum/topic/summer-2018-greenberg-train-show-july-21-22/ – Matt]
    – Punkin Trolley / October – @laura – need a thread / dates at least for Tim.
    – Greenberg’s Train & Toy Show / November
    – Santa Trolley / November @laura – need a thread / dates at least for Tim.
    – SW Randall window display – @willmcdine / @arcadiumsol need dates, remembering it can’t be more than 30 days, and if you can get an estimated number of visitors, remembering that it needs to be more than 500.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by Matt Redfield. Reason: added thread for PA Trolley Summer
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by Matt Redfield.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by Matt Redfield.
    Josh
    Keymaster

We received these sets and 2 play brick boxes today for ICF. There are a total of 4 boxes to be sorted, if anyone is interested. Today’s parts had some angry birds in it and some elves minidolls. nothing else jumped out at me.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Will McDine
    Participant

– SW Randall window display – @willmcdine / @arcadiumsol need dates, remembering it can’t be more than 30 days, and if you can get an estimated number of visitors, remembering that it needs to be more than 500

Didnt Know I was thrown in the ring for leading this this year, but I am interested in participating again, and offering my leadership skills when needed.

Josh
    Keymaster

Didnt Know I was thrown in the ring for leading this this year, but I am interested in participating again, and offering my leadership skills when needed.

I wasn’t sure which one was, but I thought Rich had once posted that you were, but I could be mistaken. I did not mean to imply anything, just tagging people who I thought would know the answers.

Will McDine
    Participant

I wasn’t sure which one was, but I thought Rich had once posted that you were, but I could be mistaken. I did not mean to imply anything, just tagging people who I thought would know the answers.

No problems at all Josh. In all honesty I have no idea what was going on with it either.

Laura
    Participant

Sorry to be so late to the game, I decided to help out with the musical at school this year and it has made me hella busy.

– Punkin Trolley / October – laura – need a thread / dates at least for Tim.
    – Santa Trolley / November laura – need a thread / dates at least for Tim.

Punkin’ Trolley
    October 13-14, 20-21, 27-28

Santa Trolley
    November 23-25
    December 1-2, 8-9, 15-16

I will make threads closer to the event.

In the meantime I am going to make a thread for “Trolley Fair” which will take place on June 23 & 24. This event will have a lot of room available to have LEGO displays and will be used to (hopefully) promote a LEGO-centric event that we hope will take place at the Trolley museum in 2019 – BRIXTRAVAGANZA 😉

Tim

Thanks, Laura. Although it is too late to submit “Trolley Fair” for event support, I’ll still want to submit an after action report to Lego to help keep us in good standing (they strongly encourage us to keep them informed of what activities we are doing – the more community events we do, the better we look to them).

Bob Grier
    Participant

Aren’t “Trolley Fair” and “PA Summer Trolley” the same event? Both are in June and both are at the Trolley Museum. If so, I think we already submitted PA Summer Trolley as a support event last December, didn’t we?

@laura
    , I’d be interested in “going big” with a large Harry Potter display for this event. Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, Diagon Alley, the works!! I just have to figure out how to get it all there, and then get it home afterwards! @timf, @hannah133, @greg and others, any interest??

Laura
    Participant

Yes, “Trolley Fair” and summer trolley are the same thing. Sorry for the confusion.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Rich (@zaximillian) definitely made it clear (albeit, buried at the end of a long post in a thread that perhaps not everybody read) that he can NOT be the ringleader for SWRandall this fall:

NNoVVember 2018
    * Enter the NNoVVember event on flickr. I believe this is the 10th Anniversary of NNoVVember, so I’ll have at least six Vics to feature.
    * Organize a “Design, Build, Fly” type contest for the end of NNoVVember where I will build a short, proof of concept space shooter video game surrounding one LEGO MOC entered into the contest.
    * This means I will not be organizing S.W. Randall’s next year.

So… I thought there was another post/thread somewhere where he asked if other folks who were key to the success of SWR 2016-2017 would step up and take ownership to make SWR2018 happen. But I can’t find it (doesn’t seem to be on the last page of the SWR TOO thread…) Anyway… doesn’t necessarily mean you need to run it, @willmcdine, but *somebody* needs to… 😀

Aren’t “Trolley Fair” and “PA Summer Trolley” the same event? Both are in June and both are at the Trolley Museum. If so, I think we already submitted PA Summer Trolley as a support event last December, didn’t we?

Yes, “Trolley Fair” and summer trolley are the same thing.

YES, we submitted in December for this event:

Reminder, We want to make sure we have 10 contributing members for supported events.

These are the 8 events we chose this year to submit our support applications for 2018.
    – International Childrens Festival / May – http://www.steelcitylug.com/forum/topic/childrens-festival-may-17-20/
    – Cranberry Library Summer Reading / June – http://www.steelcitylug.com/forum/topic/2018-cranberry-library-summer-display/
    – PA Trolley Summer / June – @laura we need a thread.

the applications for those 3 events were submitted in 2017, being grandfathered/bonus under the old support rules.

Sorry for the confusion.

You should be. 😛

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I’m having a thought here.

What if we came up with a shorthand for indicating which events were Event Support related (and thus need us to reach 10 LUG members participating)…? I’m thinking, put [ES] in the thread headers, or even ***. Just some way to quickly find those threads.

Like such as… if I see ***Children’s Festival – May 17-20, 2018, ***Summer 2018 Display – PA Trolley Museum, and ***2018 Cranberry Library Summer Display in the “recently active threads” list, I’d know instantly that those three are high priority threads / events, without having to find this thread and re-read the list. Could then also search for “***” and find all key Event Support threads in a heartbeat…

Helpful?

Attachments:
    Tim

I think something like that would be very helpful. I like using “[ES]”. Is there a way to modify the Thread name once it is created and posted? Some events may initially not be ES events but then evolve into an ES event as things progress.

Duncan
    Participant
    Josh
    Keymaster

While we’re still transitioning from Matt to Tim for the ambassador, LEGO announced that US now has the ability to buy some sets at 50% off when we have a supported event. I am going to make a rule that you can only benefit from this for events you participate in.

We are happy to announce that we are now able to offer a purchased support option for all the Recognized Communities in Australia, New Zealand, USA and Canada.

From July 16th (all applications coming in after April 1st) all events in these regions will have the possibility to purchase sets at a 50% discount with their local Shop@Home up to a certain price level and within the rules listed in the Event support program.

Unfortunately in USA and Canada all sets at a cost of 99,99 USD or higher cannot be included in the purchased option, we understand this is not great, but hopefully you will still find some value in the new support option still.

If you have already submitted an application for an event happening 90 days after April 16th, you are able to add purchase support if you wish to.

To do so please send an email to communitysupport@lego.com with [Event Name] + [Community Name] and the filled out order list attached.

We will required such purchased orders no later than May 16th.

Please note that if one or more of those sets are part of your order, they will be deleted and no other sets can be ordered instead.

Please make sure to read the requirements and guidelines thoroughly on LAN in the Event Support forum and also on the documents here attached.

This offer for Purchase Support is only applicable for LEGO Sets. AB and PBB are not part of this offer.

I hope you are as excited as we are to try this new process and benefit from the purchased support options ?

If there are any questions on this process, please post them in this topic.

Attachments:
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar