Threadjacking

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Threadjacking

Viewing 25 posts - 526 through 550 (of 1,453 total)
  • Author
    Sean Collins
    Participant

I didnt start a thread cause my contact told me they came and destroyed all the displays and shipped all the lego to other stores. After talking to the manager she said that corp decided to ship almost all the lego from closing store to other places like the overseas stores and etc.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Not finding a ToysRUs closing thread, I’ll post here.

I didnt start a thread

I didn’t see a thread yet on the TRU Closings…unless I missed it. Maybe it needs it’s own thread…

We’ve discussed this, ‘member?

@bacon1986 posted about it in Threadjacking. (Incidentally, it’s hard to find because of the many ways to spell Toys R Us / ToysRUs / Toys’R’Us / TRU…)

Do you guys know how to start new threads? Because I don’t care about TRU closings enough to do it, but yeah, you could start a thread if you want to be able to find it more easily than buried in the ludicrously long Deals and Threadjacking threads…

So what I’m gathering is that we need one of two things:

1) A thread teaching people how to start threads

2) More members with initiative, chutzpah, ambition, go-get-’em attitude to start their own threads

cause my contact told me they came and destroyed all the displays and shipped all the lego to other stores. After talking to the manager she said that corp decided to ship almost all the lego from closing store to other places like the overseas stores and etc.

I didn’t hear it to this specific level of detail, but I did hear the general consensus was that TRU would NOT be offering LEGO as part of clearance / going out of business sales, and that the product would be repurposed in one fashion or another. So… YMMV. I’m not running around stopping at every TRU I see trying to score deals… especially since all their “discounts” are from their marked up prices, anyway. 😛

Greg Schubert
    Participant

More members … to start their own threads

well there ain’t no guarantee people are going to read a new thread, but they ARE subbed into this one

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

well there ain’t no guarantee people are going to read a new thread, but they ARE subbed into this one

Are they?

But that’s fair enough…

…but hasn’t everybody put their settings to get an e-mail every time a new thread is created? #IknowIhave

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Rachel sent me this one yesterday, it’s a simulator that will come up with comments for you to post on people’s Flickr photos to let them know what’s good or bad about their MOCs. I don’t know if anybody has seen it before or not, but I was amused, since I look at Lego pics on Flickr a lot. Warning – contains bad words.

https://swooshable.com/instacrit

Josh
    Keymaster

And then, NASA became a fan of Greg!

https://www.nasa.gov/topics/aeronautics/features/int_brickfair_gallery.html#lowerAccordion-set3-slide26

…seems like the link doesn’t work…look at the last picture in the slideshow.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by Josh.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> …seems like the link doesn’t work…look at the last picture in the slideshow.

Yeah, despite the fact that is says ‘slide 26’ in the url, it still sent me to the beginning when I clicked on it, and I had to go the whole way through.

These pics are from BFVA11 (at which point it was just ‘BrickFair’ cause Todd hadn’t expanded yet). I met Greg at that event when he was staffing the bridge during public hours, that was my first interaction with a Steel City LUG person, although at that point the LUG didn’t exist yet.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I was also thinking that it was pretty cool that NASA selected that one as one of the few non-NASA builds to show, when there were plenty of other good choices at that event that they could have used. But then I thought about it more – as I recall, the Pittsburgh bridge was one of the best things there. Back then it was only my second convention, and I was still trying to explain to non-Lego people what these conventions were like, and so in situations where I’d only show them one or two photos, that was one of the ones I’d use.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Josh, I have no idea how you found this … you must have been searching images for LEGO Steelers n’at. Someone at NASA must have been a fan of the black ‘n gold. At that convention, lots of people came up to tell me that they had a connection to the city.

Although not everyone was impressed: https://youtu.be/j9ufFQvsTkg?t=17m52s 🙂

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> Although not everyone was impressed:

Ha, that is hilarious. Maybe Nannan mentored the guy who blew right by us in his review of Blocks magazine ‘highlights’ that Josh posted about recently.

(Btw, at the end of the video, that’s me n Susie in the background, we’re checking out all the MOCs and taking pics, it was definitely not during public hours. Apparently that was before I’d learned that there’s no reason to wear nice shirts at these things.)

Greg Schubert
    Participant

that’s me n Susie in the background

Whoa, I did not see that before! 😀 Its like time-traveling through the internet.

Btw, in 2013: http://toysnbricks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=10267 … although Nannan’s build was much better, mine got more votes, partly thanks to LUG member support. <3

Josh
    Keymaster

Although not everyone was impressed

hahahahahaha

Josh, I have no idea how you found this … you must have been searching images for LEGO Steelers n’at. Someone at NASA must have been a fan of the black ‘n gold. At that convention, lots of people came up to tell me that they had a connection to the city.

I was searching specifically for large, full color, images on google, labeled for reuse, matching “yellow bridge pittsburgh side”
    https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS772US772&biw=1832&bih=918&tbs=sur%3Afc%2Cisz%3Al%2Cic%3Acolor&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=1OPCWt-oMcPv5gKKxIiABQ&q=yellow+bridge+pittsburgh+side&oq=yellow+bridge+pittsburgh+side&gs_l=psy-ab.3…24842.33199.0.33567.5.5.0.0.0.0.138.425.4j1.5.0&#8230;.0…1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.1.87…0i30k1.0.zVaIQhmyL3k

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I can’t find a thread for ICF 2018 (I can find the threads for the previous five years), was one created? I thought Josh said at Q1 that we’re definitely in for that one. I just need the dates right now, to see if it’s gonna work with my schedule or not. @joshhall

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Never mind, I found it. (For some reason it’s no longer ‘International’, which is why it wasn’t coming up in my search. I also don’t know why I’m not subscribed, I still have a problem where I sometimes don’t get email notices for new threads.)

Tim

I noticed that the two pictures that NASA put up as “Just for Fun”, the other one was basically just modular buildings with a few extra floors added. Not necessarily the most creative selection.

I don’t see any thread yet for BFVA 2018, so since the topic has come up, I will not be able to attend this year. Family plans have intervened and must take precedence. So I will re-channel my BFVA energies into as many of our other LUG displays as possible. 😀

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> I don’t see any thread yet for BFVA 2018,

I’ll make one at some point.

>> so since the topic has come up, I will not be able to attend this year.

Aw man, that’s too bad. I seem to remember you told me something like ‘once baseball ends, I’ll never miss a BrickFair again.’ We’re still going to Otani without you though 😛

EDIT – it was Cub Scouts, not baseball. The youngest one had finally gotten too old for Cub Scouts and that was what had kept you from BFVA in 2016.

Josh
    Keymaster

I thought it was hockey…

either way, I don’t have the girls that weekend…I might be interested, if I can find a cheap place to stay…gotta see what friends I have in the area…

Tim

I’ll make one at some point.

Greg beat you to it. :-p

Ben, you are correct; it was Cub Scouts. They always had their summer camp the same week as BFVA. I guess I need to revise it to: “As soon as the kids are grown up and off to college, I’ll never miss another BFVA.”

Fortunately, hockey only runs from September to May (although there are summer pick up games, camps, etc. – it never ends). But those would not keep me from BFVA. 🙂

We’re still going to Otani without you though ?

🙁 One of my favorite meals of the year. Keep the tradition going!

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by Tim.
    Josh
    Keymaster

this looks like a fun Q3 birthday party idea…who wants to engineer it all?

Josh
    Keymaster

I wonder if the exit of toys r us in our area will increase any potential for an official lego store…

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I wonder if the exit of toys r us in our area will increase any potential for an official lego store…

That is a reasonable hypothesis. One can only hope. Of course this might effect our support status, so there could be a tradeoff.

LEGO should avoid the city itself to prevent competing with SW Randall, or other niche toy stores like the one in Bakery Square. As we’ve discussed before, Century III and Ross Park Mall are potential candidates for a LEGO store. If I were LEGO, I would target the area with the greatest growth in housing.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Century III and Ross Park Mall are potential candidates for a LEGO store

You didn’t see the pic of the CIII Easter Bunny, didja, Greg?

I loved that mall as a kid. But… they had a churro stand then, and Auntie Anne’s, and toy stores, and video games, and… customers…

I don’t know Ross Park well, but I’d think Robinson maybe works… def not PGH Mills – it’s about as sad as CIII these days (and possibly scarier – I think somebody died in a car there last fall or something. But I don’t remember for sure what happened. Just that there was weirdness / badness.)

Zach Bauer
    Participant

I have so many stores near me that I could probably just give you one 🙂

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I have so many stores near me that I could probably just give you one ?

Wow, pretentious and entitled, spoken like a true New Yorker. Rub it in, why don’cha?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

(obviously, @zbauer, I’m just messing with ya. You’re all right.)

Back to Century III Mall – time to invest in a new Steel City LUG Headquarters / permanent display space?

Viewing 25 posts - 526 through 550 (of 1,453 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar