Threadjacking

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Threadjacking

Viewing 25 posts - 1,126 through 1,150 (of 1,453 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

someone in germany just asked me if I’d ship a part to them…I looked it up…apparently, I’m the only store in the world with a 2×2 slope in maersk blue…
    https://store.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=3039#T=S&C=72&O={%22color%22:72,%22iconly%22:0}

I should really go verify that my listing is correct before I respond…

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> I should really go verify that my listing is correct before I respond…

Sweet, I assume by ‘verify that my listing is correct’ you really mean ‘raise the price by thirty dollars’. Although I do see that you’re not exactly giving it away.

How’d you acquire that part? Back in the 80s, I didn’t even know Maersk sets existed.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> I guess not every city can be as in-sync with their sporting clubs’ colour schemes as we are here in the Burgh…

As far as I know, we’re the only city that does it, which is fine with me, it’s just another reason that Pittsburgh is the best city ever. Rachel, who has never really paid any attention to sports at all, likes to tell people the story about how she came through Pittsburgh International Airport and walked past a gift show that was literally wall-to-wall black and yellow and thought ‘Wow, that gift shop sure is color-coordinated!’ without having any idea why it would be that way.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Btw, Rachel sent me this pic about a month ago. I asked her if it was some kind of commentary on my Lego Titanic, which I bought December 2 at Ross Park Mall and took to her house to build at New Year’s. She said no, it just sounded like something I might say. I wasn’t sure how to take that.

For those who weren’t looking, the Titanic did take a bit of effort to nail down. It’s been out of stock on the website pretty much every time I checked (I even kept checking after I bought mine out of curiosity, it’s out of stock right now). But on Dec 2 the website told me that Ross Park had it in stock. And so I called to see if I could put down a credit card to hold it til I showed up – which I’m sure I’ve done before – and they told me no, they couldn’t hold anything, but there were about four sets, and I’d probably be okay if I came in soon.

And the problem was, I realized it was about 60 minutes before I was scheduled – after a wait of a couple weeks – to get my booster shot, and I really did *not* want to be the guy who had to go around telling people ‘Yeah I’m not boostered yet because I went to the Lego Store instead’. So I got my shot, and then they wanted me to wait for 15 minutes, and when I felt fine after 3, I left, and then it was still thirty minutes to the mall. I got my set and when I got it home, I checked lego.com again and it said Ross Park was sold out again. So I may have gotten the last one at the store and ruined some kid’s Christmas. Sorry kid.

Incidentally, the ‘check store stock’ feature was disabled on lego.com for most of January, I wasn’t sure what to think about that.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

… but what kid NEEDS to build a LEGO titanic.

Krista K

someone in germany just asked me if I’d ship a part to them…I looked it up…apparently, I’m the only store in the world with a 2×2 slope in maersk blue…
    https://store.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=3039#T=S&C=72&O={%22color%22:72,%22iconly%22:0}

Was that Martin? He’s my brickmate and mentioned he’d might reach out.

Josh
    Keymaster

Sweet, I assume by ‘verify that my listing is correct’ you really mean ‘raise the price by thirty dollars’. Although I do see that you’re not exactly giving it away.

How’d you acquire that part? Back in the 80s, I didn’t even know Maersk sets existed.

No, I meant go make sure I actually have it. And I do. I don’t know when in the past 12 years I would have listed it. A lot of my inventory came from buying bulk bins and then sorting them out. I have definitely had multiple maersk pieces, but never an entire set.

And Martin reach out an hour ago. This guy was named Christian, but also from Germany.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

No, I meant go make sure I actually have it. And I do. I don’t know when in the past 12 years I would have listed it. A lot of my inventory came from buying bulk bins and then sorting them out. I have definitely had multiple maersk pieces, but never an entire set.

And you’re sure it’s actually Maersk blue? I’d be super concerned that I had listed a different color as Maersk, given the scarcity and age of that piece.

Attachments:
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Rachel, who has never really paid any attention to sports at all, likes to tell people the story about how she came through Pittsburgh International Airport and walked past a gift show that was literally wall-to-wall black and yellow and thought ‘Wow, that gift shop sure is color-coordinated!’ without having any idea why it would be that way.

lulz

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> I’d be super concerned that I had listed a different color as Maersk, given the scarcity and age of that piece.

That was my first reaction too, when you said it came from a used bin. I see stuff listed incorrectly on BL all the time. Of course, you could have still done it correctly, and not just cause you got lucky, but I don’t know if you had assistance in sorting from people less qualified than you.

I can’t remember the last time I saw a Maersk blue part in the wild, and I don’t think I could confidently identify one without holding it up against other parts (whereas I can spot old light gray from across the room now). I do know that if you put Maersk blue next to medium blue, that they’re really easy to tell apart, but you have to know which is which, I remember getting it wrong back in the day. I have never put Maersk blue next to medium azure, but I’m guessing they’re also easy to tell apart in that context. I haven’t looked at my own Maersk blue in more than ten years, other than to transfer the bag from one storage container to another.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

whereas I can spot old light gray from across the room now

Benjamin, please be respectful of your elders! What would you grandmother have said if she heard you say that?

Dan
    Participant

So did you actually have it @joshhall? The suspense is killing me!

Josh
    Keymaster

So did you actually have it @joshhall? The suspense is killing me!

I did! going out in the mail today.

Krista K

Anybody we know?

Attachments:
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Did we ever come up with a way to deal with the site auto-previewing links put into posts? The problem is that the site rejects the posts if the link goes to a photo that’s too large for the site, even if the poster isn’t actually attempting to bring the photo to the site. There has to be a way to turn that off.

Josh
    Keymaster
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

@philmatt24 – curved tunnel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sfWB5ndp5E

The mountain range was definitely the best things about that build, the MOC monorails were also cool.

But having all those modulars? Meh – I would have enjoyed it more if he had made a wide open cattle ranch or a custom scene from LoTR at the base of those hills.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Zelensky minifigs made by Citizen Brick sold out in hours, although each minifig was $200. They are selling on eBay now for substantially more.

NPR

Greg Schubert
    Participant

More LEGO bait for @zbauer, @zbauer2013 near NYC.

Attachments:
    Zach Bauer
    Participant

😮 thanks for the tip @greg! Looks like I better make a call.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

In this photo from the Post Gazette, does it look like the one guy has a familiar logo on his vestments? … or do I just have bricks on the brain?

Attachments:
    Josh
    Keymaster

The guy in the white? I don’t see anything.

Bob Grier
    Participant

What do you get when you put 3 generations of LEGO builders in the house together on a rainy day??? THIS!!! My 7-year-old grandson Ted is the Master Architect of this one. He started it on Friday, and it just kept growing. On Saturday he was giving my son Steve and I assignments (build this, add that, put weapons and armor on these guys, etc., etc.!! You can’t see all of them in the picture, but there are over 230 mini-figs in this build!! This is one of the reasons why I love this hobby!!!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. One of my assignments was to add the crossarms and rig the sails on the pirate ship. When I went online, I found the set (Caribbean Clipper #6274 from 1989), but alas no digital instructions were available. To my surprise, I actually found the original instructions from 1989 in one of my old folders!!

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by Bob Grier.
    Attachments:
    Tom Frost
    Participant

Hope everyone had a nice weekend!

Attachments:
    Renée
    Participant

Anyway, since this is threadjacking, has anyone ever heard of https://bricksandminifigs.com/ Apparently they have several brick and mortar franchise stores but the closest ones to us are in MI, KY and CT.

https://bricksandminifigs.com/our-stores/

I see there’s one in Omaha, where I’ll be visiting my aunt next month. Awesome!

Viewing 25 posts - 1,126 through 1,150 (of 1,453 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar