what the heck is Greg doing?

Home Forums All Things LEGO! what the heck is Greg doing?

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 372 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Well now Greg can get it as a t-shirt. (I notice that they’re calling a shrug, rather than the freshman salute.)

https://cottonbureau.com/products/shrug#/4303993/tee-men-standard-tee-vintage-black-tri-blend-s

(Incidentally, I am on this site because I am ordering the ‘Intersections of Pittsburgh’ shirt.)

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Does anyone have an inspiration for a red or yellow colored 48×48 LEGO baseplate? I have one of each that I acquired with a transparent 48×48 baseplate.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Today I started my next unfinished project, the Christmas Story house. I am obviously out of practice because about an hour into it I realized that I did not start with a MILS baseplate. What a rookie mistake! Actually I didn’t get too far, so making the transfer will be a piece of turkey. 🙂 The plan is to rely heavily on the dimensions Jason created for his house but to use yellow-orange tiles to look like siding on the house; I’ll probably go with an all-white roof.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tim

Looking forward to seeing your take on the House.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I am only planning to make the outside of the Christmas Story house, not the interior. I made good progress yesterday, but pieces are running out quickly.

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Has anyone ever heard the expression of “hitting the bullseye of the wrong target”? I think I accomplished that with my rendition of @twrt0es A Christmas Story house.

I love the shape of this building but the color looks like mac’n cheese and really does not compliment the dark green. So all the light bright orange tiles that I ordered for this project need to be replaced by a more gingerbread-like … tan, dark orange or reddish brown.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Attachments:
    Jason Middaugh
    Participant

Looking awesome! I originally used yellow because I really didn’t even know how to procure the other colors at that point. The real color is almost a dark mustard color… not sure if LEGO makes that.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Some of the components, like parts for making the cylindrical posts are not even made in light bright orange. Actually, I’m not sure many people in the general public would recognize this building at a LEGO show, regardless of what color it is, unless I built a two story leg lamp in the yard next to it.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Attachments:
    Jason Middaugh
    Participant

Lol! You would be surprised. All you need is a bunny suit minifig and it will click instantly 🙂

Josh
    Keymaster

you’re right. You need to build the lamp.

Tim

I love the shape of this building but the color looks like mac’n cheese and really does not compliment the dark green.

I like the color and it seems to go with the dark green (at least in the pictures – maybe different IRL?). Definitely having a “bunny suit” minifig would give it instant recognition with most people.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

The trim in the real life photo looks brighter than dark green to me, although combining standard green with bright light orange sounds pretty garish to me. Jason is right that Lego doesn’t really make a match for the yellow of the actual house. Maybe leave your yellow out in the sun for several months and see if that turns it the right color.

Besides Ralph in a bunny suit, you also might find a way to have a Lego dog eating a Lego turkey.

If you need some leg lamp inspiration, you can check out Al’s:

Dan
    Participant

Does anyone have an inspiration for a red or yellow colored 48×48 LEGO baseplate? I have one of each that I acquired with a transparent 48×48 baseplate.

The red plate with trans-red tiles may make an interesting red river for @bengood921’s secret project!

Could be cool to do monochrome builds on each.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> The red plate with trans-red tiles may make an interesting red river for @bengood921’s secret project!
    >
    >> Could be cool to do monochrome builds on each.

Monochrome build sounds like a cool idea, I’ve seen a lot of good ones over the years.

My red river is not a ‘secret project’ 😛 The red baseplate wouldn’t be helpful though, my test builds indicated that the best color for the bottom of the river is tan.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I built another version of the Parker family’s house from A Christmas Story. It is edible, so please keep your multiples of 25 gnawing rodents away from it.

Attachments:
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

That came out great, and it does look yummy.

You should try building something like this:

You better not cry, Winter Village Mech is coming to town

Jason Middaugh
    Participant

I built another version of the Parker family’s house from A Christmas Story. It is edible, so please keep your multiples of 25 gnawing rodents away from it.

That is really cool!!! Now that color is perfect for that!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Some of this was serendipity, like looking for tiles and finding that I had these 1×1 round cookies and donuts. They blended so well that I incorporated pink shades, not what I had originally planned.

Attachments:
    Renée
    Participant

As long as you didn’t use almond or other nut flavoring, I think I can keep the squirrels at bay.

I really like the vertical piping on the house, and all the ways 1×1 round flower plates are used.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Yes indeed, what am I doing? Below is a photo I took at a LEGO store yesterday. It is in the US … be the first one to post where and explain how you got the answer. (Sorry Bob, you are not allowed to participate.)

I predict BCG will win this competition because of his undaunted determination to find photos of LEGO sharks. 🙂 Btw, they also had 1×1 red plates in the PaB wall at this store.

Attachments:
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> I predict BCG will win this competition because of his undaunted determination to find photos of LEGO sharks. 🙂 Btw, they also had 1×1 red plates in the PaB wall at this store.

Ha, it took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about there, since I definitely don’t recognize this one. It was more my undaunted determination to find one particular Lego shark, and it was worth it.

Do we have a thread somewhere on how many Lego stores we’ve been to? I did a mental count recently and I’m at 11. I’m not sure if anybody in the group can beat me on that, and I would think the most likely contender would be Greg.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

The winner was selected at random from all the correct entries of … San Diego!

Curiously, I also saw a LEGO vending machine at the Pittsburgh airport.

… and fake DUPLO at the San Diego Zoo.

Attachments:
    Josh
    Keymaster

I would have guessed San Jose.

Tim

The winner was selected at random from all the correct entries of … San Diego!

So what in the picture gives away “San Diego”? I figure it would have to be the two display cases as the rest is just normal stocked sets. The case on the left is visible but nothing there says “San Diego” to me. There is too much glare to see what is in the case on the right. So what was the tip off?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

There was nothing in the photo that indicated the location, it required searching LEGO shark images on the internet. A search for “LEGO store shark boy” reveals the answer.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 372 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar