2019 Summer Trolley – June 22 & 23

Home Forums LUG discussions 2019 Summer Trolley – June 22 & 23

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Laura
    Participant

Apologies once again for my winter hibernation.

With summer rapidly approaching I figured I need to end my absence from the forums to start planning for the summer display at the Trolley Museum. This year setup will be on Friday, June 21st with the display running Sat-Sun the 22 & 23rd from 10am-5pm. Cleanup will be afterward on Sunday.

As in the past I have a main theme that I would like to focus on, but I think we also had success last year with multiple displays of different themes. The theme I would really like to have this year is a wild west display. I myself have some wild west theme items but I would need help from others who have more in that theme. I think it would be cool to include a small town/fort, old west train (maybe with a lego golden spike ceremony to honor the 150th anniversary of the transcontinental railroad).

We also had an area for kids to build and display their own creations which I think would be nice to have again this year, and possibly bring the derby track to go along with the “Anything On Wheels” name of the event.

Let me know what you can build and/or contribute. Thank you!

Tim

Which building do we have for the display? I like the idea of a Wild West theme – something that we have not really ever built into. I have a small collection of Wild West minifigs and sets and we should be able to put together a boom town. Maybe do the shootout scene at the OK Corral.

Josh
    Keymaster

I could…I could build a…I could build a……whipped cafe!

Neil Tannyan
    Participant

I have a log cabin that could be used… also the palace cinema and café corner modular might work for a downtown area..

Phil Breneman
    Participant

I am working on a western fort out of the old brown log panels and bricks. Should be done on time. I think it will end up 64×64 or 96×96 and will be MILSed on tan plates. I have about a dozen of the blue soldiers but I am sure it could be populated with more.

Tim

I think I will do a Spanish style Mission. That should fit the Western theme nicely. Will probably be 2×2 baseplates (4 total BP).

Bob Grier
    Participant

I was also thinking about doing a fort, but wanted to do something closer to home, so I’m in the process of building a circa 1760 replica of Fort Pitt. After all, Pittsburgh was the Gateway to the West long before St. Louis was, right? To accommodate the five pointed star design, the fort will take up one full 40″ x 40″ LUG table (16 total base plates in a 4 x 4 grid), but will still be smaller than minifig scale so I don’t think I’ll be including any soldiers or Indians.

Josh
    Keymaster

anyone have the lone ranger train or even the harry potter train to run? I don’t think any of us have gone into custom old time trains yet…@emperorofthenorthpole

Tom Frost
    Participant

anyone have the lone ranger train

I do have the locomotive from the lone ranger train built. I would need to power it and maybe build some coaches or something. I also have the toy story train so I may be able to do something with that.

Glenn Holland
    Participant

I don’t have anything old-timey, unfortunately. No Lone Ranger either.

I *might* could literally throw something together. No promises, but:

-when would it need to be finished?
    -battery or 9V?

Laura
    Participant

Okay guys sounds great so far.

Which building do we have for the display? I like the idea of a Wild West theme – something that we have not really ever built into. I have a small collection of Wild West minifigs and sets and we should be able to put together a boom town. Maybe do the shootout scene at the OK Corral.

A shootout sounds cool Tim, I hadn’t thought of that. I have some Wild West figs to help populate the display as well. As for what building we’ll be in, I believe we’ll have the education room (lower building), but I can ask for room in the events room if we need or in addition to.

I was also thinking about doing a fort, but wanted to do something closer to home, so I’m in the process of building a circa 1760 replica of Fort Pitt.

Cool Bob, I look forward to seeing it!

I do have the locomotive from the Lone Ranger train built. I would need to power it maybe build some coaches or something

Tom, I have a powered Lone Ranger locomotive. If you want to make some coaches that’d be awesome!

Tom Frost
    Participant

If you want to make some coaches that’d be awesome!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tom Frost
    Participant

@laura I will not be there for setup, but I am planning to be there all day on Saturday. I will bring the coaches above and another 9v train (finishing now) so you can plan on two loops. Let me know if you need me to bring any 9v track

Tom Frost
    Participant

okay, here is the other old west train. A modified 9v Christmas locomotive & tender, two logging cars I just built, and two cars from the toy story train.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tim

The trains look great, Tom!

Laura
    Participant

I have a log cabin that could be used… also the palace cinema and café corner modular might work for a downtown area.

Neil, that sound great! Anything you want to bring can help.

I don’t have anything old-timey, unfortunately. No Lone Ranger either.

I *might* could literally throw something together. No promises, but:

-when would it need to be finished?
    -battery or 9V?

Glenn, it’s 9v. Anything you would like to bring will be displayed! 🙂

In light of this, I think we should amend the theme slightly and make the “Wild West” area part of a theme park. That way we can have all of the Wild West stuff, and include other builds that might not go along with the Wild West theme.

I know some of you have rides, you’re welcome to bring them!

Tom, in reading this now I realize I did not yet make a doodle. I have linked it below. The train looks great! I think we’ll use your loco, my tender is powered so we can just stick it on there. I will be sure to leave space for you to place anything you bring on Saturday morning. Thank you!

Laura
    Participant
    Rocko
    Participant

Hello everyone. Those trains look great! I like the idea of the Wild West Theme Park too.
    I haven’t been too active here lately as we’ve been working on replacing our home that burned down.
    We’ve been taking one of our classic cars to the annual Antique Car Show at the Trolley Museum for years (since it was the Arden Trolley Museum), in fact that’s how we found out about Steel City LUG.
    In any case, we’ll be attending Sunday for the Classic Car show and I’ll bring my collection of 6w moc classic cars, the small 1950s gas station and a horse-drawn carriage for the Wild West. If there’s room for ’em on the display that’s cool. If not, that’s ok too. It will still be fun to enjoy the display and everyone’s builds, as we do every year.
    And to ride every one of the antique trolleys they have running and explore the whole place.
    We look forward to it every year

Josh
    Keymaster

How early can I drop tables off Friday, Laura? 10a?

How many do you need?

Tim

I’ve had a conflict come up for Friday evening. I will need to bring my MOC on Saturday morning. It is four 32×32 baseplates square. I have updated the Doodle. Thank you.

Laura
    Participant

I am working on a western fort out of the old brown log panels and bricks. Should be done on time. I think it will end up 64×64 or 96×96 and will be MILSed on tan plates. I have about a dozen of the blue soldiers but I am sure it could be populated with more.

Sounds great Phil, sorry for not responding earlier, I will have a spot set aside for you!

We’ll be attending Sunday for the Classic Car show and I’ll bring my collection of 6w moc classic cars, the small 1950s gas station and a horse-drawn carriage for the Wild West. If there’s room for ’em on the display that’s cool. If not, that’s ok too. It will still be fun to enjoy the display and everyone’s builds, as we do every year.

Sounds good.

I’ve had a conflict come up for Friday evening. I will need to bring my MOC on Saturday morning. It is four 32×32 baseplates square.

Alrighty, that works Tim.

Phil Breneman
    Participant

Fort is done and is 3×3 baseplates (96×96 studs). I also have the shooting gallery from last year that is 1 baseplate. Finally, I will bring a dinosaur museum that is 2×2 baseplates.

I will probably be able to be there Friday at about 4 to help set up.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Phil Breneman.
    Neil Tannyan
    Participant

Sorry I’ve been out of town all week on a project outage in Indiana. I’m arriving back in town Friday evening so the earliest I can bring something is Saturday morning. Will that work?

Glenn Holland
    Participant

I will plan to be there Saturday morning & early afternoon. I’ll need to leave by 4:30 for a previously made plan.

Will regular Lego tracks be used? I have a loop of 88 stud radius curved and 120 stud radius. I can bring them Saturday morning. Most of my locomotives won’t handle much less than that (a couple will, but the newer ones will not). I can bring the rolling stock I have as well.

Josh
    Keymaster

if you’re looking to fill space, the ravine is on the shelves. it’s cliff faces could be used as back drops perhaps, or someone can spend time rebuilding the section that collapsed.

Laura, i assume you have enough track on your own, but the lug track is on the shelves too. all the ballasted track we have is either green or white.

I put a stack of my baseplates (blue, green, and brown) on my chair that you’re welcome to take in addition to the lug box of base plates. I’m not sure what is marked as mine though, so just be aware to mark them somehow if you take them. I’ll put aside the brown cloth from fall trolley, but if we can find enough tan plates and things to dot the landscape……Hopefully you’ll piece it together well. This is where I’d have less anxiety with a bluebrick file weeks in advance to get a visual of what we’d need 😀

I threw in a toy story horse and a few dark tan desert plants in with my whipped cafe.

There’s a bin of assembled town figs as well as a bin of assembled cars above them if you want to grab them for filler for a theme park area.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar