Brickfair VA 2021

Home Forums LUG discussions Brickfair VA 2021

Viewing 11 posts - 51 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I got my Flickr album made:

BFVA21 - Space Plants 1

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

The Hanlon & Hanlon GBC video for this event was posted today. I haven’t watched it yet, it’s almost exactly an hour long. I know Stuart Rolle is making his debut as the tour guide for this one, since Tom Atkinson did not come to this event.

I’m still waiting for them to post the full convention tour. They’ve been posting videos from this event at about one a day.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

the best ball machine module:

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Haha, thanks, I just got to that part of the video. I did notice that Hanlon lingered on mine for quite a bit there. I was also amused how he zoomed in on the one with the dinosaur, and then moved over and zoomed in on mine, and then moved over and zoomed in on the next module, and when he realized that it was undecorated and the last of the event kit modules, he just turned a bit and zoomed in on mine again from a slightly different angle. My only regret now is that I didn’t have an extra Steel City LUG brick to put on it, it would have been more glory to the LUG.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I’m posting this one cause at the end they do that thing where they push it off the table onto a tarp to destroy it so they don’t have to pack it up to take it home, and you can see me and my space plants build in the background, including when they rewind it and do it again in slow motion. More importantly, I’m wearing my light gray Steel City LUG shirt, so more glory to the LUG.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

That looks like an efficient way to pack up. I guess he removed a bunch of minifigs and all his lighting before dumping the display.

If you encounter the video of the three ring bigtop circus, can you please post that? I saw it once, but I wanted to go back and look at it again and I could not find it. 😛

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

More photos! AB Quest has been posting lots of BrickFair photos for years, and I somehow never noticed it til now. I don’t know if anybody needs more BFVA21 pics, but since I love conventions, I always like seeing convention photos, whether I was there or not, and I definitely never get tired of seeing my own builds in photos taken by other people. He’s been uploading them in batches and just finished today, so I have not gone through the pics one at a time, but I have scrolled through the album a couple times. He is pretty systematic in his coverage and rarely does a second shot or closeup of any particular build.

AB Quest does have an impressive dedication to numbering his convention photos. The album has 1044 items, with the first three being unnumbered. I did notice a lot of Season 1 contestants at the event (and meant to post here about it and kept forgetting), in addition to the people pictured, Mel was definitely there. (Classic Plastic Bricks has a Mel minifig for sale, and it looked good, but it was also $25 for one, so I didn’t buy one.) I somehow failed to spot a single Season 2 contestant while I was there, although I knew Kaleta was attending cause his spaceships were on display.

Anyway, the numbering system is handy for referring to photos so I don’t have to post a bunch of links, it’s just a link to the album at the end of this post.

– There’s a good shot of The Matrix lit up in pic 46.

– Like Esteemed Helga, AB Quest does not do GBC photos (so my builds from 2014, 2016, and 2017 don’t show up in their respective albums), but he did take some pics of it during World of Lights, you can see the glow-in-the-dark soccer balls in pic 144.

– Logan’s stuff starts showing up in pic 413 (Yeah! Oh! Yeah!) and continues in every photo but one through pic 419.

– Shirtless Woody is in pic 554 and Micah’s other stuff is in 555. (I initially had trouble finding that one, and after not finding Woody in Helga’s pics either, I started to wonder if Micah had spent the bulk of the convention carrying Woody around like a ventriloquist dummy, which by the way, I definitely wanna see happen now.)

– In what I believe is part of PennLUG’s display, pic 804 shows a train bridge over a ravine that is well done. I am mentioning this with no subtext or commentary 😛

– 833 is a single video of the GBC setup. Like previous years, he walks around the entire display in under three minutes (although he’s moving pretty quickly this time), and like previous years, he shot it after public hours and therefore when none of the modules are running and no balls are moving through, so it’s a video of the modules just sitting there, which to me defies all explanation.

– My space plants build is pic 904. The photo looks remarkably similar to every other photo of it.

– Rachel is visible working at the end of the mosaic table in pic 1037.

– Rachel’s Pokemon mosaic is the very last photo, number 1041.

– As a bonus, if you wanna watch some videos, I recommend 7 and 81. Me n Rachel thought they were among the coolest builds there, and AB Quest’s videos are superior to Helga’s.

I’m still waiting for Beyond the Brick’s full tour, as of today, they are still posting other videos from the event, so they haven’t yet exhausted their supply.

BrickFair 2021 Logo

Josh
    Keymaster
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> I missed this

I also missed that. And now that’s three-and-a-half minutes of my life that I can never get back. He did accurately describe it as ‘the Mountain Dew you didn’t know you didn’t have’, and I did like how they smelled it first like it’s some kind of hifalootin’ wine tasting. But after they drank it, I figured, well I must be close to the end of the video, and there’s still another thirteen-and-a-half minutes to go. I’m wondering what they can possibly be doing all that time, they already milked the drinking of it for all it’s worth. But I’m not sure I want to spend 13 minutes finding out, so maybe somebody can just tell me.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

For a good Micah video, I recommend this one, even though it’s not BFVA21. I knew about this build, because I was set up just a couple tables down, but I somehow either never got around to watching it, or forgot that I had, but it came up as a suggestion just recently and so I watched it a couple days ago. It’s definitely worth watching the first five seconds, before the opening theme music even comes up, just to see the slinky rocks. I wish they’d shown them from the back or something cause it’s not entirely clear to me what’s happening in there.

Anyway, the video has been around for awhile, and I was familiar with the build, so before I watched it, I decided to scroll through the comments and see if there was anything interesting. And I noticed that periodically somebody would say ‘Who’s the cool guy in the sunglasses just chillin’ at the 54-second mark?’ And then finally I got to one where they said ‘hacim, is that you?’ And sure enough (spoiler warning), it is him.

Logan C
    Participant

Beyond the Brick finally posted their Brickfair tour video. Here’s the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi6p-on9hws

I think someone mentioned getting timestamps for LUG members, so I figured I’d start those. I’m sure I missed some people/things so feel free to add on.

The stuff from me and my collab begins at 00:33:45
    Ben’s space plants: 01:51:10 (We got a mention by name thanks to your plaque!)

Viewing 11 posts - 51 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar