CSC Locomotion Weekend – 1/13/24 – 1/14/24

Home Forums LUG discussions CSC Locomotion Weekend – 1/13/24 – 1/14/24

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Krista K

If you need them I have a lot of modulars ready to go. They’re not mils yet, but there’s some time still. I’ll make sure they’re all in the inventory.

Pete
    Participant

I also have modulars if needed.

Tim

Nicole at the Science Museum sent a group email asking for confirmation of tables needed and size of display. The default is last year’s numbers (11 tables to us and the same layout dimensions). Please let me know ASAP if (1) we’re going to use LUG tables instead of the Science Center tables, and (2) will the layout size be the same (or nearly the same). Thank you!

Bob Grier
    Participant

@timf, I don’t think anyone has done any layout work yet to figure out how much space we’ll need. I can help get that organized, but I really haven’t used Bluebrick much at all and could use help with that. Josh Updike (Mac) did that last year, but don’t know that he’s still active in the LUG these days. @jupdyke, if you get this and still have the Bluebrick file from last year, please post it here or send it to me? That would be a great place to start!

As I recall, last year they provided us with (13) 30″x72″ tables, (11) arranged 3 wide x 4 deep (18 ft. wide by 10 ft. deep overall) with one table left out in the middle, plus (2) 30″x72″ tables up against the wall where we put the overflow rail yard for extra trains that weren’t running or didn’t fit in the yard on the main layout.

If they’re going to give us the same space in the hall, then I would ask for the same footprint and number of tables for now. Something we should definitely talk about at Q4 this Saturday, so if you can hold off responding until after Saturday that would be best. Personally, I don’t think it will make sense to use LUG tables for this 2-day event. That’s a lot of extra effort to go through (especially in transport) in addition to all the MILS’d bases, track, trains and modulars that everyone will be bringing.

Tim

@rcgrier3406 I can definitely hold off on responding until after Saturday’s meeting. @joshhall please put Locomotion Weekend discussion on the agenda. Thank you.

Josh
    Keymaster

putting this here – all the tables and sneezeguard and such are at trolley museum. @laura can confirm, but I believe we were cleared to leave it all there until we needed it next. I had in mind that we could test the waters in renting a uhaul van to make sure it will all fit (it took 2 loads of my minivan between fall and winter displays). It adds some time and logistics to getting everything to the CSC, but might be better than trying to get it all back to my house and then all back to the CSC later.

PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

@joshhall, sorry to hear you had to have your appendix removed. I hope for a speedy recovery.
    If on the chance you’re still under the weather in the coming weeks and it’s too much trouble to move the sneeze guards and tables to CSC, I will happily play defender to protect our trains and layout at the CSC. I’m running my Schnabel and the “Consist of Danger” on the R104 loop anyway so I can patrol the perimeter and protect both the 120 and 104 loops from stray hands since they’re the first line of defense. The crowds at the CSC last year were generally polite about it after a gentle reminder to not touch the trains.

Laura
    Participant

Yes the tables and any other LUG supplies can stay at the Trolley Museum until someone comes to pick them up to take to CSC. We have a lot more storage at the new facility so we can store stuff for most events now. I strongly encourage anyone who has not subscribed to the Winter Trolley thread to check it out and sign up for a shift to not only check out the awesome display but also see the new building and get an idea of what we could do with an event there.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Laura.
    Mac
    Participant

Hello all,
    I am still active, though I dont post as much as I should. But I will look tonight and post the bluebrick file from last year. I will say that we ended up deviating from the digital design. I think that is to be expected though because you need to have the parts in one place to really know how they will fit together.

I also have a couple trains, and most of my LugBULK was to convert my track to MILS plates. I will also volunteer and come set up as well.

josh

Phil Breneman
    Participant

My MILS track is available for use. It is all 9V track with standard radii. My inventory is as follows:
    68 single track 16×32
    24 single track 16×16
    8 switches/points – 4 left and 4 right – that have a total footprint of 48×32
    12 90-degree curves made from a 32×32 in the corner and 16×32 on either side – total footprint of 48×48, but missing a 16×16 corner. If you want all the ties to line up perfectly, 8 should curve one way and 4 the other – not a big deal though.

I should be able to make it for setup on the 12th and teardown (I assume on the 14th). Please share times for setup and teardown as soon as we know so that I can block that time off. I can also help transport some LUG stuff from Josh’s house if needed.

Bob Grier
    Participant

I was able to work on the layout over the past couple of days (in block form using Google Sheets). This is essentially the as-built layout that we ended up with last year and is based on us getting the same space and number of tables (@timf is in the process of confirming that with the Science Center this week). We’re also asking for the 2 extra side tables that we used for staging and repair of the rolling stock that didn’t fit on the main layout.

Couple of things that we’ll have with this layout:
    * The same R-120 and R-104 loops on the outside perimeter for the larger more intricate trains that @playingwithechoes (Michael) and @emperorofthenorthpole (Glenn) have.
    * Three (3) sidings in the rail yard this year instead of (2).
    * The double track R-40 loop in the center, same as last year.
    * (2) single track R-40 loops on either side, same as last year.
    * I’ve already blocked out the space for my motorized Incline, and @amplef0rth’s (John S.) Winter Village and motorized Trolley, so with those plus the (6) different train loops we’ll have (8) motorized elements running concurrently again this year.

If you’re interested in seeing what last year’s display looked like, here’s a link to some pics and videos.

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAogqh

As far as MOC’s go, we’ll have space for (25) more full baseplates (32×32 studs) beyond what I’ve already blocked out for John and I, plus (13) more half baseplates (16×32 studs). @knb112 (Krista) will be working up a sign-up and staffing spreadsheet, so watch for that if you want to sign up to display or staff. As we said at Q4, your MOC’s should be MILS’d if possible, but if not you can bring some brick + tile shims to get them up to the same level as the LUG’s MILS’d track and road bases.

Last year the event ran from 10 am to 5 pm on Saturday, and 10 am to 4 pm on Sunday, with teardown right after that. Set-up for us was Friday afternoon from around noon to 5 pm, but we also had a number of folks bring their stuff Saturday morning before the opening. Once we know specific times for set-up, early access, etc. we’ll post them here.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Bob Grier
    Participant

My MILS track is available for use. It is all 9V track with standard radii. My inventory is as follows:
    68 single track 16×32
    24 single track 16×16
    8 switches/points – 4 left and 4 right – that have a total footprint of 48×32
    12 90-degree curves made from a 32×32 in the corner and 16×32 on either side – total footprint of 48×48, but missing a 16×16 corner. If you want all the ties to line up perfectly, 8 should curve one way and 4 the other – not a big deal though.

I should be able to make it for setup on the 12th and teardown (I assume on the 14th). Please share times for setup and teardown as soon as we know so that I can block that time off. I can also help transport some LUG stuff from Josh’s house if needed.

@pnbrenem
    , thanks as always for offering your MILS’d track bases and ballasted track to supplement the LUG’s stock.

Tim is confirming with the Science Center this week that we want the same space and number of tables that we had last year. Assuming that gets confirmed and we go with this layout:

* I did a quick count, and with the stuff we added for Home & Garden this year it looks like the LUG now has enough MILS’d straight and curved track bases to cover this layout.
    * We do not however have enough ballasted 10″ straight track sections. We need (117) for this layout, and last time I checked the LUG has (102) completely ballasted, and another (31) partially ballasted, which leaves us (15) short unless we use the partials. For starters, let’s plan on using (16) of your 16×32 ballasted single straight track and MILS’d bases so we can keep your stuff together and easily identifiable during teardown.
    * We do have all of the MILS’d Curve bases and ballasted curve track needed for this layout.
    * I know for sure that we’ll need (3) of your Right Switches. I don’t think Josh has any of the LUG’s switches completely ballasted yet.
    * The LUG also has the (6) 16×16 Single Straight bases and track that would go at the end of your switches.
    * The plan is to use non-ballasted RC track for the supplemental rail yard on the side tables behind the display, and I’m pretty sure the LUG has plenty of that.

I’m planning to go down to Josh’s sometime after the holidays to pick up the LUG’s MILS’d bases and track so that I can go through it all and see if anything’s missing or needs repairs. Once I’ve done that, I’ll let you know if there’s anything more we need. Thanks!

Tim

timf is in the process of confirming that with the Science Center this week

I have informed Nicole at the CSC that we need the same tables and layout space as last year. She was asking us to confirm that would be acceptable, so it has been confirmed.

Josh
    Keymaster

@laura powered the draw bridge for winter trolley. Would you recommend/endorse it’s use for future displays, Laura?

I really like the square grid you posted, Bob. You don’t have to modify it for the bridge, I was just thinking of how to use that middle space.

Krista K

@rcgrier3406 Thanks for the awesome layout to build on!

Here’s the signup sheet for displaying and staffing: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vWmKpb3CU2WryFoCcPzS8nyaYhNHf9k6OCCM2OvZGLQ/edit?usp=sharing

Let me know if you see anything that needs updated.

Bob Grier
    Participant

Thanks @knb112, that looks great! I’m glad you were able to integrate the grid layout into the sign-up process.

If you’re only bringing trains, just add your name to the right side of the “Displaying” spreadsheet and summarize what you’re bringing (i.e. 9v engine + 3 cars) in the “Is it MILS’d or shimmed” column. You can add what the engine is (i.e. Steam locomotive) in the “Comments” column. If you’re bringing multiple trains, you can just use additional lines on the spreadsheet to add them in (rule of thumb should be one line per engine).

There’s no need to describe or list every car on the sign-up sheet. We know that cars will be swapped in and out with different engines throughout the weekend. If you can include the total number cars you’re bringing somewhere against your name that will give us some idea of how much rail yard space we need to be planning for. If you do want to provide supplemental information on the cars (because they’re unique, oversized, or you’re just proud of your work!) you can do that in a separate post in this forum.

Glenn Holland
    Participant

Added my availability. Looking forward to the weekend.

PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

Added my availability. @joshhall, if you’re adding the draw bridge, do you want me to send you a Studio file mockup of my Schnabel car extreme width/height points to check clearance with your bridge design? We got it to work at Home and Garden but I think I had to remove the shoulder pistons, which I can gladly do again to make it work.

Will McDine
    Participant

Never uploaded this, I can get exact totals of what all I have if needed, but this is basically what I have and can contribute to this event. All my straight track is double, and my double R40 curves do cross onto the curve road plates. So if we want to use the curves in this fashion they will need to be in corners with the roadway next to it..

I have went ahead and added my availability for staffing. I can’t do Saturday due to work, and my availability for Set up is dependent on what time we can set up.. it is possible that I may need someone to haul my stuff down there.

Attachments:
    Bob Grier
    Participant

Thanks @willmcdine. We have what we need for all of the track (and roads) between the LUG’s inventory and Phil’s stuff. The overall layout is pretty much set based on the space and tables that the Science Center is providing, but there’s still a lot of openings for MOC’s.

Take a look at the “Displaying” tab at the bottom of the sign-up spreadsheet. All of the empty white spaces are available. There are 2 groups of 4 adjacent baseplates still open on the left side (near where I have the Incline), with 4 of those adjacent to a roadway where you can put your fire trucks. Put your initials on the ones you want and indicate what’s going in each space.

We’re still waiting on confirmation of the set-up times, but last year it was from noon until 5 pm on Friday. Once we know for sure we’ll post it here.

Tim

@willmcdine what is the building on the far left (with Tinkerbell at the top)?

Will McDine
    Participant

Thanks Bob! Somehow completely missed that. Ill check that out here shortly.

and @timf This is the building https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-14603/BoltBuilds/the-costume-shop-alternative-to-71040/#details . I Built it using my Aunts copy of the Disney Castle. I changed mine up though, Its a Disney Store and not a costume shop.

Will McDine
    Participant

I went and added my building MOCs to the list, I took the 4 open baseplates behind the incline for my little street which will include my Disney Store, the Luxury High-Rise (2 baseplates) and either the UP house or my small fire station. If needed (or desired rather) I can bring both buildings and we can put the UP House somewhere else if it makes more sense or need to fill holes. Ideally I would like to have the roadway in front of my spaces be filled with fire trucks for a fire scene but just looking at the depth planned, It will be hard to get everything set up unless I get the trucks and minifigs placed before I place the buildings. We shall see.

Tim

That is a nice alternate build. Thank you.

Josh
    Keymaster

@playingwithechoes what is the clearance away from track that you need? I finished the self contained remote controlled crossing arms section and there’s a “box” 2 bricks high from track height and 2 studs away from the track. Is that good enough?

Attachments:
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar