Cub Scout Pack #4 Banquet

Home Forums LUG discussions Cub Scout Pack #4 Banquet

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Will McDine
    Participant

Evening all. One of Alexis’s co-workers reached out to me wondering if we would have any interest in doing some sort of display for his Cub Scout pack. They are doing a Lego theme banquet for this year and thought it would be cool to include our group if we are able to. Here is the basic info I have.

The Banquet is right now slated to be Saturday May 20th 2023 at a church in Munhall (I have to clarify the church, will do that ASAP). They aren’t looking for much. Maybe like 2 8ft tables full of random MOCs that the kids can take pictures of and look at. They are expecting Atleast 60-100 people mixed between kids, parents and grand parents, and he also said they are willing to feed everyone from the group who attends.

He also inquired about if anyone had any sort of builds related to a camp ground or a Scout logo. I told him I didn’t know off hand but I would check. In addition he mentioned they were looking at different activities for the kids to do and I mentioned the Derby track and Mosaic activity. I specified that it might be possible but did not at all guarantee any of that would be there. I wanted to see if there was any interest or availability before we went down that road.

2 additional important things to note, 1. They are planning for evening time for this event, specific times have not been tacked down yet. 2. I will not be available for this, I will be out of town for a family wedding. It doesn’t seem terribly hard. A simple one day in and out event. If there’s no Derby Track or Mosaic activity seems like only 2 or 3 people staffing wise would be okay. Anyone feel any kind of way about this?

Dan
    Participant

For scout-related sets I immediately thought any set using the beehive piece could work, but it turns out none of them look like a good fit. The Rocky River Retreat may give some inspiration if we put together a small build challenge of our own.

Maybe @bengood921 can show them how to use any space plants they find in the wild! 😜

On a more serious note they may enjoy learning the techniques we use to build trees like we did at CSC.

Will McDine
    Participant

I was thinking the Ideas A-Frame Cabin and Tree House would be good sets to put on display for this. If I was able to attend I would likely take them both. If someone is interested in attending I can surely bring these sets to them to aid in the display.

Logan C
    Participant

Subbed. Not sure I’ll be able to make it in person, but as an Eagle Scout I’m interested in helping any way I can.

I collected a bunch of the scout torsos from BAM last year and was thinking about eventually using them for a scout camp MOC of some kind. Maybe this would give me a reason to get started on that.

Will McDine
    Participant

Oh that would be really cool! I forgot they put the scout torso on the BAM tower. Would definitely come in handy for this

Pamela S
    Participant

I’m not too familiar, so don’t slay me here… but is the cub scouts = boys scouts? I know they have girl scouts also, but not sure if this is just boy scouts only. The reason I ask, is I live pretty close to and I’m very familiar with Munhall and could help out here for sure. But if it’s a boys/guys thing, I might feel a little strange helping with the event, lol.

Let me know.
    Thanks!

Logan C
    Participant

Cub Scouts is under the Scouts BSA umbrella. It is the program that comes before Boy Scouts, for elementary school aged kids while Boy Scouts is for middle/high school aged kids. Girl Scouts is a separate organization that is unaffiliated with Scouts BSA. But yes, a few years ago, Scouts BSA did start letting girls into their main programs (which is why Boy Scouts is called “Scouts BSA” now), so it would probably be mixed.

TL;DR – Yes.

Will McDine
    Participant

Bumping this thread. They are looking for some sort of commitment just to have enough time if they need to book something else or explore other avenues. Can anyone commit?

Pamela S
    Participant

I’d be more than willing to help staff at the event, as it would be so close to me. However, I do not have any MOC’s to display yet (Working on learning still). If someone wants to display their MOCs but can’t attend to watch over the MOCs ~ That I can do! Let me know.

Tim

I am not able to commit to this as I have a conflict that day.

Will McDine
    Participant

I’d be more than willing to help staff at the event, as it would be so close to me. However, I do not have any MOC’s to display yet (Working on learning still). If someone wants to display their MOCs but can’t attend to watch over the MOCs ~ That I can do! Let me know.

Thank you, Pamela! I greatly appreciate your willingness to help. I will reach out and confirm we can indeed do this event. Do we have anyone else willing to attend? Pamela as far as MOCs I can pack up my Ideas Tree House and A-Frame Cabin if you do not have them, as well as some of my Fire trucks to put out. I can arrange drop off of said items with you as the date gets closer.

Will McDine
    Participant

I have spoken with our point of contact and they are still interested, so I went ahead and committed to the event. I told him we would have atleast one person (Pamela) and possibly a few others. The event, as stated above is Saturday May 20th, and will take place at St. Maximilian Kolbe Parish (363 W 11th Ave) in Homestead Borough. If you are unfamiliar with the area, the church is close to Sandcastle and the Waterfront just to give another point of reference.

Like I said above I am planning on sending my Ideas Tree House, Ideas A-Frame cabin, and some Fire trucks along. If anyone else has anything they want to contribute but can not make it to the event let me know ahead of time and I can arrange a pick up, and subsequently drop it off with Pamela when I drop off my stuff. As far as specific Load in times and what not I am uncertain right now. The Pack Leaders are still working to see how early they can get into the hall to set up. He also said they have enough space for basically any amount of table space we want. I told him I would get back to him the week before with our specific table needs. Also keep in mind a catered meal is provided for this.

Will McDine
    Participant

Hey all! Bumping this thread again. We are appx 2 weeks out from this incredibly easy event. Just trying to recruit a few more people and potentially some other sets for the evening. @schaup I thank you again for being the first volunteer! I think (unless I hear from more people in the next few days) I am going to request just 1 8-ft table for this. If we get some others who can commit and plan to bring other things I can request more than that. I will also verify times (I believe he said banquet is from 5-7 or 6-8) and my guess is for set up we would be able to get in as early as 2 or 3 hours early if needed but I will clarify this coming week.

Tim Brown
    Participant

Just dropped off 4 models with Krista. Crawler Crane, Fire Plane, Artic Truck and Bulldozer. More than happy to see those head over to the scout event if someone working it can arrange with Krista to pick up after the Bellvue event on the 18th. Just please update me if that happens so I know where they are.

Will McDine
    Participant

Just dropped off 4 models with Krista. Crawler Crane, Fire Plane, Artic Truck and Bulldozer. More than happy to see those head over to the scout event if someone working it can arrange with Krista to pick up after the Bellvue event on the 18th. Just please update me if that happens so I know where they are.

I appreciate the offer! I personally am leaving town on the 18th so I will not be able to coordinate that. If someone does make that happen I will be sure to notify you.

Pamela S
    Participant

@willmcdine I can pick up the sets at Krista’s if need be. Question for you @willmcdine do the sets need to be MOCs? I have some good regular video game sets, like the Atari, NES, and Question ? Cube, I can add. The kids might like those, if we can display prebuilt sets. Will someone else be at the show to help guide me through everything that will need done?

Let me know.
    Thanks!

Will McDine
    Participant

So as this event gets closer, Just posting an update for the masses. I have sent a list of questions to our point of contact, But just to summarize, I asked for load in/out times, I asked if the space is ADA Compliant (because I roped @nkurta0505 into participating as well), I also asked to clarify table size. I requested 2 tables just to be able to space things out a bit and not have things on top of each other, and I will be sending a text to Josh to attempt to get signage and table covers. I have Pamela coming by my house Wednesday Evening to pick up my MOCs for the show, She is going to bring some of her Video game related sets, and I think Nick is going to bring some other things as well. Anything else? Anyone else attending? @loganc @randomdan ?

Will McDine
    Participant

Picked up Linens, signage, and Business cards from Josh today.

Will McDine
    Participant

One final push for the details of this event. Confirmed everything today. 1. We have two tables. I figured that was more than enough given what has been talked about here. 2. Times for the event are as follows. Set up: any time after 10:00 AM. Doors open at 12:30. Scout Badges/Awards and mingling from 1:00-3:00. Food starts at 3 and from the sounds of it everyone can leave after they finish eating. They asked and I ultimately declined Electric. It didn’t sound to me that there were any MOCs going that required that.

Pamela S
    Participant

@knb112 @rcgrier3406 @willmcdine @nkurta0505

Pictures from the cub scout event. Please let me know of any feedback, comments, or suggestions on the pictures. This was pretty much the first event I covered where I needed to take pictures. I hope to do many more in the future so the comments and suggestions will definitely come in handy for the next time!

By the way, it’s only letting me upload 4 pictures. So I will post a few more times for the rest. I only took 12 photos so, it shouldn’t be too bad.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Pamela S
    Participant

More Photos

Attachments:
    Pamela S
    Participant

More Photos 3

Attachments:
    Logan C
    Participant

Good stuff! The display turned out looking quite nice! Wish I could have been there.

Bob Grier
    Participant

@schaup, Thanks! The pictures look great and have been posted to a new album in the Gallery!

Any ballpark idea on attendance at the event? @knb112 will be looking for that when she reports the event to TLG.

Josh
    Keymaster

wonderful job! thanks for volunteering for it and providing pictures! hopefully you enjoyed it as much as they appreciated you!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar