Northland Library Display

Home Forums LUG discussions Northland Library Display

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    John S
    Participant

Had some time on the weekend to change one of my pigeons into “The Pigeon Will Ride the Rollercoaster”!

Thanks for the suggestion @knb112

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by John S.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Krista K

@rcgrier3406 and @amplef0rth Those are awesome! 🙂 I’m going to try to get something done this weekend.

Mike Bez
    Participant

Here’s what I have in mind for this display. I think it fits the Literature Display theme pretty well. If we’re tight on space, I could easily loose the Marauder’s Map, or maybe open it up and set it behind as a backdrop.

@rcgrier3406
    this looks awesome! My daughter asked for the Hogwarts Icons set for Christmas however, we are getting her some other sets instead. Do you have instructions for any of these items? I would like to make something similar for her.

Bob Grier
    Participant

@rcgrier3406
    this looks awesome! My daughter asked for the Hogwarts Icons set for Christmas however, we are getting her some other sets instead. Do you have instructions for any of these items? I would like to make something similar for her.

Thanks @cybladez101. Unfortunately, I don’t have instructions. Except for the Potions Book, these were MOC’s I made several years ago before the Hogwarts Icons set came out. I based them on photos I found online, and then a lot of trial and error!

If you’re at set-up for Northland, I can pull a couple of them apart for you to take more detailed pics that would help you figure out how to build them if you’d like.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Put me down for The Polar Express. So the idea is that you should have the book on display too, correct? An installation during the LUG meeting would have been fun.

Will McDine
    Participant

I wish I had the time coming up to build something for this. Unfortunately It is looking like I will not have anything to display this time around. However, If we want to make this a rotating Library display set I might be able to get something done for my favorite childhood books, The Very Hungry Caterpillar and Goodnight Moon

Krista K

So the idea is that you should have the book on display too, correct?

Yes, that’s correct.

The Very Hungry Caterpillar and Goodnight Moon

Those are two of my favorites!

I finished mine. It’s a little more obscure, but a regular read in our house.

Attachments:
    Marcella Spear
    Participant

I could bring the black lake book that was at Cranberry Library this summer.

Attachments:
    Mike Bez
    Participant

If you’re at set-up for Northland, I can pull a couple of them apart for you to take more detailed pics that would help you figure out how to build them if you’d like.

Thanks, Bob! That sounds good! I should be there for set up so that works!

Bob Grier
    Participant

After the Q4 meeting yesterday, I was able to get some dimensions on the display case that we’ll be using for this display. It’s not an actual “case”, but a plexiglass cover that will sit on top of (3) two-high file cabinets. The plexiglass cover itself has inside dimensions of 43 1/4″ wide x 21 1/2″ deep x 19 1/2″ high and looks like it’s made of 1/8″ plexiglass. The file cabinets (pictured below) have what looks like thin parquet laminate tile set loosely across the top, which span the gaps between cabinets and will give us a decent surface to set our builds on. The woman who helped me said that the plexiglass cover hangs slightly over the side edges of the file cabinets, so we shouldn’t plan on using the full 43 1/4″ width.

One thing I can also bring to set-up are (2) 20″ wide x 10″ deep x 3″ high wooden platforms that are painted dark brown. This would give us a “tiered” effect” and raise up anything displayed in the back half of the case so that it’s not blocked (or as blocked) by stuff in the front half of the case.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Bob Grier.
    Attachments:
    Renée
    Participant

I finally found my perfect match! Just need to build a log and a wave…

Attachments:
    Tim Brown
    Participant

Looks like Northland is making a day of it. They have several Lego Build Activities planned for the 27th.

Tim Brown
    Participant

Also, I’m planning a Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Build.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicka_Chicka_Boom_Boom

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Is the goal to fill a display in the case or to create a display that one that is monitored in person? It sounds like there is more interest than the display volume can accommodate.

Tim Brown
    Participant

Well. Regardless of whether mine gets any display time at this library, it’s a fun exercise. Here’s the WIP vs cover.

Attachments:
    Krista K

Is the goal to fill a display in the case

Yes, that would be the goal.

Susan assured me that the plexi that they put over it is not easy to move and pretty secure.

She’s in all of next week, but afternoon/evening on Tuesday. Do we just want to shoot for then since they’re open to 8 and that’ll give those working time to get there. I don’t think, given the size of the case, it’ll take us too long to fill.

Thoughts?

Bob Grier
    Participant

@knb112, Tuesday 12/20 in the evening works for me. We usually drop our granddaughter off in Wexford around 6 pm and could head to the library right after.

Once everyone is there, it should only take around 30 minutes to set things up. I think our bigger challenge will be to fit everyone’s stuff in, but I’m sure we’ll manage!!

Renée
    Participant

Tuesday late afternoon or evening works for me

John S
    Participant

I can bring up the pigeons for Tuesday evening.

Krista K

Awesome! It sounds like Tuesday evening, say 6:30, seems to be good. I’ll let Susan know we’re coming.

@rcgrier3406
    I think having the platforms is a great idea.

Tim Brown
    Participant

Final-ish iteration. It’s 11″ high on a 4″x 3″ base. Leaves spread to about 5″. The book is a small board book, so doesn’t take up too much of a footprint. Can I drop it off with you at Xcel teus afternoon @knb112 my daughter is at xcel when install is.

Attachments:
    Mike Bez
    Participant

Yup, Tuesday evening works for me, too.

Krista K

So I had a thought, and it might give us more room for builds. I was thinking about making a sign that we could put near the display with all of the covers. I can even throw on the LUG logo and a QR code. What do you think?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Seems good to allow more display case room for LEGO by keeping the sign outside of the display case.

John S
    Participant

Will it hold the actual books or just printouts? I have the books if needed.

Pigeon finds a hotdog v2
    The pigeon will ride the rollercoaster v2

If we’re short on room I can just use one.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by John S.
    Attachments:
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar