Philly Brick Fest 2015 – Apr 23-26

Home Forums LUG discussions Philly Brick Fest 2015 – Apr 23-26

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 185 total)
  • Author
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Yes! I was going to bring this up! Which session did you get tickets for? I’d say let’s have a LUG dinner on Friday together and anyone going to this show can go either before or after.

I definitely want to check out the exhibit, but would like to point out that there will likely be a ton of AFOL activities and contests happening at the PBF event hall all night Friday. So just keep in mind that if we spend our evening downtown, we’ll be missing some other fun stuff. Everything is a tradeoff…

Josh
    Keymaster

I emailed Chris on the Dollar:

Thursday is activities, Friday is the Bowling event. I don’t recommend you miss either, but I guess if you have to miss one, miss the Thursday events. We are getting a pack of tickets from the Franklin Institute because we just did an event there so we can probably get you free tickets to Art of the Brick. I would see it for free, but there is no way some computer-generated large brick sculptures are worth the high ticket price.

Chris

I think Rick and Micah had fun doing the bowling night, but I dunno, I’m still not convinced. I know Paula’s already set for Friday unless she wants to change it, but I’m still leaning toward at least the LUG meal Friday night. Maybe art of the brick first thing Thursday?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Good to know; thanks for the details. I have to agree with Josh that the other games and activities were pretty darn fun (and, as someone who missed the bowling and only has my perception of what it might be like to go on, I think they’re probably cooler than the bowling. Not that I wouldn’t do the bowling, but I could live without it…)

I’m not saying we shouldn’t do a LUG dinner, we definitely should. Just saying that dinner + Art of the Brick would comprise most of the evening. If we get out there early enough Thursday, it shouldn’t be hard to spend a few hours at the exhibit and still get to the convention hall to set up (and we have until Saturday morning – the first public session – to finish the setup, so no worries there.)

While our opinions on the awesomeness of bowling may differ, I definitely agree with Chris that $30 (daytime rate 9:30-5) to see the sculptures is a bit steep. It’s too late for Paula, but if we got 15 or more we could get a group rate. The 5-7:30PM rate is $20 instead of $30, which is one argument for going in the evening. If BFL hooks us up with freebies, I’m definitely there, and I’m probably in if we go as a group whenever that may be, but I’m only about 70% excited for the exhibit the more I think about it.

Keep in mind, it’s at least a half hour drive to the Franklin Institute from the convention hall, plus parking expenses are likely to be incurred. Public transit is possible, but probably a hassle and time commitment from so far out. Not trying to be Debbie Downer, just pointing out some things to ponder as we make decisions.

Bottom line: push Chris and Chad for the freebies and go from there. 😀

Micah Beideman
    Participant

I think Rick and Micah had fun doing the bowling night, but I dunno, I’m still not convinced

Well, I might be biased cause I’m just a big fan of bowling, and we won last time, AKA we each got $75 worth of Lego 😛

Joe
    Participant

Due to me only attending Thursday and Friday, I plan on spending most/all of my time at the convention. But would defiantly be on board to attend a LUG dinner, if it’s near the convention hall.

Tim

Courtyard Philadelphia Great Valley/Malvern
    280 Old Morehall Road Malvern, PA 19355
    This is for Marriott rewards reasons. It was much less points. It is only around 6 miles away.

Rick, I have book my room at the same hotel for the same reason – least amount of rewards points. I have a king room with an additional sofa bed.

Laura
    Participant

So between all the stuff that’s been going on at school, and snow days and such it turns out that I have 2 personal days that I can spend on PBF, sooooo, I’m going! I know I’ve been super quiet since Christmas, museum stuff was taking up all my weekends and such, but I do exist! I need to spend some time reading this thread to figure out accommodations and registration, but I just wanted to let you guys know.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I do exist!

Cool. We were starting to think you were a mythological creature, like @iamrjthompson.

Laura
    Participant

I am a mythological creature, but that doesn’t mean I don’t exist! #dragonsarereal

Laura
    Participant

Registration appears to be up to $75 now =( am I on the right page or is there a special one?

http://2015.phillybrickfest.com/folreg/

Also, looking for room atm, I wouldn’t mind finding a roomie if possible. I know quite a few people that live in the philly area, so I might try to see if I can crash with one of them.

Josh
    Keymaster

Use the code “SteelCity” to drop it by $25 to $50 for registration.

Chris

anyone that paid more than $50 and wants to have the LUG refund them, send me an email. We’ll discuss it at our quarterly meeting.

Laura
    Participant

Sweet! Thanks for the quick response Josh!

Paula
    Participant

Laura, my friend isn’t going to be able to make the trip with me and I booked a suite if you’re interested! Hilton Garden Inn.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Paula.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I am a mythological creature, but that doesn’t mean I don’t exist! #dragonsarereal

Well, of course they do. Everybody knows that. #FireandBlood

anyone that paid more than $50 and wants to have the LUG refund them, send me an email. We’ll discuss it at our quarterly meeting.

What, are we a communist LUG now?

Laura
    Participant

Laura, my friend isn’t going to be able to make the trip with me and I booked a suite if you’re interested! Hilton Garden Inn.

Paula, that sounds great! 🙂

If you’re going to be at the quarterly meeting I think we can figure out logistics then.

Paula
    Participant

Do you still need a ticket? I have an extra! It has her name on it, I don’t know if that matters or if it can be transferred, but it’s yours if you want it!

Tim

Just curious when everyone is planning on going to PBF? I will be leaving sometime Thursday morning. Hope to get there around 1-2 pm and start setting up. Are lots of people going there Wednesday?

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I am going to drive to Lancaster that Wednesday night, stay overnight at my sister’s house, and then drive the rest of the way Thursday. So I’m thinking I will be there by 1-2pm also.

A key factor will be what time the person(s) with the tables shows up.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Are lots of people going there Wednesday?

Going Wednesday means more $ for hotel that night. While I appreciate being there early and ready to go, I wasn’t really planning on doing that… figured on leaving PGH early Thursday, and trying to get there early afternoon.

Speaking of when we leave – I’m all about carpooling if it makes sense. I have a Camry which can fit 3 people (4 if you really like each other) and some luggage / MOCs. Or I can jump in with someone else if that makes more sense, but I’m happy to drive, and do have a touch of control issues, and my car has bluetooth and we can stream music from our phones (and I get veto power on the tunes)… so yeah, I’m happy to drive.

Micah Beideman
    Participant

we’ll probably be leaving Thursday morning as well.

Matthew
    Participant

Uhhhh i think im still going… not sure where im going to stay… and ive switched between the two PBF pages now, PLEASE link me the current BB file so i can see if ill need to ask for a space or maybe make a table… Looks like ill be able to bring, any trains i have, a train station that im starting tonight, and god willing, a container crane for cargo trains.

PS airport is not going to happen, i dont have the time or money

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Matt – if you’re interested in sharing a room and thus the cost, we might have space in one of the rooms people have already reserved. I’m not sure if anyone else has kept track; maybe I can find time between now and Saturday’s LUG meeting to back-read and make a list of who has rooms and who’s staying in said rooms. (Also, carloads… we’ll need to figure that out as well… I think I had a spreadsheet for the logistics last year…)

As for the BB file, I’m not sure who’s got that or if there’s a revision to the files already posted in the display planning thread, but maybe whoever does know can post over there to answer that one.

Matthew
    Participant

Thank you for clarifying, I will be on my own for driving because my vaction time does not kick in till june, so ill be getting to the hall late friday night if not maybe a thursday night(if i can use a vacation day)… and sharing a room would be great “WARNING” I SNORE!

Matthew
    Participant

Hello children! i am now registered for the PBF and will be there thursday night! i need a place to sleep and shower if a place is open to share/bum off of!

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

OK, boys and girls, T-minus 24 days, so let’s get our logistics on! I updated my little Google Spreadsheet with the latest info I could gather from the thread / Saturday’s meeting discussion, but please review and confirm / correct as needed: Matt’s Awesome PBF Logistics Spreadsheet (make sure you’re looking at the tab with 3/30 date)

Current attendee list: @bengood921, @randomdan, @paulamalu, @philmatt24, @timf, @team-holp, @hacim, @rbeideman, @JoshHall, @zemata, @kristen-s, @laura, @matthew-jeffory. All y’all, please take note of the comments below and respond accordingly. Thanks.

LODGING: At the moment, it looks like we have 13 people planning to attend (has everyone already registered, or was anyone holding out to maybe use Paula’s friend’s ticket?), and 4 hotel rooms booked (Josh, Paula, Rick, Tim) at three different hotels. I already know Josh was planning on sharing his room to cut costs. @matthew-jeffory – I’m pretty sure someone will be willing to let you share a room if you chip in to help with the costs. Within reason (i.e. – we won’t put all 13 in one room… I don’t like you guys that much), we’re all fans of spending as little money as possible on the trip (so we have more to spend on LEGO from the vendors!).

But I don’t want to speak for anyone else, so @rbeideman / @timf, can you confirm your intentions as far as sharing your rooms or not? I think you’re both using points, but we could probably work up estimates on fair shares for people crashing with you guys. If you prefer to be on your own, no worries; just want to confirm so we know whether we need to add a 5th room. @paulamalu – do you want to keep it to just you and Laura, or are you willing to take on other roommates? If you are willing, do you prefer ladies only? We made coed rooms work ok last year, but I don’t want to make assumptions or make anyone feel obligated to do that or to crowd the rooms if they’d rather not…

@paulamalu
    – just to confirm, your friend is definitely not going, right? I sent an email to Chris at PBF asking whether her ticket could be used by someone else; he says it’s ok, but they already printed brick badges so if someone does use it, they won’t get their own name on a PBF badge (but your friend could still have one, if she so desired.) Will you stay thru Sunday, now that your friend doesn’t have to drive back to Detroit? If so, have you modified your hotel reservation? If not, whomever else stays in your room could probably shift over to another room for Saturday night… we’ll figure it out; just trying to cover all our bases here… I believe the other three rooms are all booked for Thurs/Fri/Sat nights, and everyone is planning to drive home Sunday night after we tear down.

CARLOADS: We have three important things to transport – people, MOCs, and tables. It sounded on Saturday like there were a couple leads on trailers, but I forget if we had a final decision or just “I’ll look into it” from a few people. Obviously, that’s critical, because if we don’t get our custom tables out there, we have to redesign our layout to use the standard tables.

It sounds like Ben is driving on his own, but has plenty of room for MOCs (mostly his own, of course). I am figuring on driving and can handle a few passengers / some cargo (but not tables). I believe Evan, Tim, Paula, and Rick all indicated they’d be driving (or at least willing to); is that still true?

EXTRACURRICULARS (i.e. – activities outside of PBF and PBF-organized bowling excursions): As for Art of the Brick exhibit at the Franklin Institute, it sounds like PBF can get us some free tickets, but they’re not sure how many just yet. And I know Paula already bought 2 tix for Friday evening, but I don’t think anyone else got that far. So, I added a column in the spreadsheet to indicate interest in going to the exhibit so we can work that out. Hopefully, we can all (except Paula – sorry, Paula! Your enthusiasm and advance planning have conspired against you in this case) get freebies, but if not, maybe we can split the cost for any additional tickets we have to purchase, so it ends up being a discount for all. Chris’s suggestion was to NOT miss the evenings, and that Thursday afternoon would be the lightest as far as activities / seminars / whatever (which makes sense, since fewer people will have arrived), so I’m recommending we plan to go to the museum on Thursday afternoon. I wonder if you could call and request to switch your tickets, Paula? (hold off until we confirm our plans, though…)

Obviously, anyone who wants to get to a LEGO store can swing over to King of Prussia Mall at some point, but I don’t think we need to have a big plan for that… might also be good to do either on Thursday or on Friday morn before things get going full swing at the convention…

And I believe Josh suggested we do a LUG dinner. Friday was suggested, but that’s the bowling event and Micah said they won a good bit of LEGO for winning that… I could see doing Saturday night after the sessions close, but it’s possible there will be after hours AFOL shenanigans that night, too. No matter what, if you leave the convention floor you’ll probably miss something, so we’ll have to just pick a night and go for it.

BADGERING OUR FRIENDS INTO ATTENDING: Was anyone else planning to attend PBF? @solscud007? @juliamorley? @dacvak?

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 185 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar