Philly Brick Fest 2015 – Apr 23-26

Home Forums LUG discussions Philly Brick Fest 2015 – Apr 23-26

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 185 total)
  • Author
    Matthew
    Participant

I think he may be coming for just one day, ill have more info tonight…

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I think we’re mostly sorted for cars and hotels at this point. Whomever is arriving Wednesday / Thursday can be prepared to help start setting up tables and the display as things arrive (I don’t think we’ll see the tables before 1PM, because Nick and Dan have to pick up the trailer at 7AM, load up at Josh’s house, and drive 55 MPH.)

I want to circle back to Art of the Brick – how many people are still interested in that? We may still be able to get some freebie tickets from the PBF guys, but Chris just told me they are “in the mail” and he hasn’t seen them yet, so that is in limbo. I’m still advocating that we go on Thursday afternoon if we do go, because that’s the lightest day for activities (see PBF schedule) – the only really big part is the Opening Ceremony at 8PM. But of course, we want to get as much set up on Thursday as we can, as well.

Nick Chen
    Participant

Got an email. Trailer is guaranteed. But not available until 8am.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I still haven’t looked over the PBF schedule. I can guarantee though that if you guys go Thursday afternoon, that I won’t be going along cause I will be completely focused on getting set up. I am interested in going but I will probably have other opportunities to go to the show if I don’t make it this weekend, and I consider it lower priority than PBF activities regardless.

Tim

I am not interested in going to Art of the Brick. SO I can remain at PBF setting up. So for people going on Thursday, when is everyone planning on leaving Pittsburgh and arriving in Philly?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

So for people going on Thursday, when is everyone planning on leaving Pittsburgh and arriving in Philly?

I’m riding with @zemata; he said “wee hours” (I think pickup at 6AM, no?)

Got an email. Trailer is guaranteed. But not available until 8am.

So that means Nick and Dan probably won’t actually be on the road until around 9, by the time they get the trailer hooked up and load up at Josh’s… which means no tables until probably 3 PM (maybe a bit earlier if the Turnpike gods are with them and they don’t stop much…)

Tim

I’ll probably leave Cranberry between 10 and 11 and so would arrive in Philly around 3-4 pm.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I’ll probably leave Cranberry between 10 and 11 and so would arrive in Philly around 3-4 pm.

Whaaaat? I thought you were an early riser. I thought you’d be out the door by 7am so you can make it Philly by noon.

I’m still planning on getting there by 1 or 1:30. Otherwise I’ll just be hanging out at my sister’s place anxious to leave, so instead I’ll hang out at BrickFest anxious for Nick and Dan to arrive, at least the I’ll be surrounded by cool Lego stuff. I’m assuming I can’t check into the hotel until Matt arrives.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Whaaaat? I thought you were an early riser. I thought you’d be out the door by 7am so you can make it Philly by noon.

I’m still planning on getting there by 1 or 1:30.

Wait, so the guy who’ll be 3/4 of the way there on Wednesday isn’t even gonna make it to the con before noon? Hah. I laugh at the irony of your “early riser” jokes.

so instead I’ll hang out at BrickFest anxious for Nick and Dan to arrive, at least the I’ll be surrounded by cool Lego stuff. I’m assuming I can’t check into the hotel until Matt arrives.

Check in is at 3, and yeah, I’ll have to be there. (incidentally, everybody ought to remember to bring cash/check to square up with each other for the rooms and whatnot…) It sounds like Evan’s car will be meeting at Josh’s as well, and the earliest we’ll actually be on the road is probably 9, so don’t expect to see that carload before 2-3, either. Them’s the breaks. But yeah, since my carload isn’t staying at the same hotel, we’ll have to meet up at PBF and have someone who is staying at my hotel drive me over… or something.

Micah Beideman
    Participant

I don’t plan on going to Art of the Brick, as we won’t be getting there till around 3, and I’ll probably need to do some last minute building when we get there :3

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I finally took a look at the official schedule. I’m going to assume that ‘Time Boozers’ is equivalent to ‘Impaired Speed Build’. Is there a sign-up for these? At BrickFair, you sign up online way in advance and get chosen by lottery. And what’s Bowling For Bricks? Is this at an actual bowling alley?

Micah Beideman
    Participant

1. I think time boozers is more like playing Time Cruisers, not an Impaired Speed Build.
    2. There is no sign-up, you just show up
    3. Yes, bowling for bricks takes place at a real bowling alley. It’s basically building as fast as you can while playing a game.

Paula
    Participant

@laura We have a suite, it has a couch, I don’ know how comfortable it is, but if laura’s okay -anyone need a couch?

I updated my phone # on the spreadsheet, I’m leaving at 10ish on Wednesday, check in is 3pm. I’m meeting my Philadelphia brother (we’re Disney related) and going to King of Prussia for dinner and lego store!

Please let me know what I can do to help!
    Radio silence over! @philmatt24

Laura
    Participant

We have a suite, it has a couch, I don’ know how comfortable it is, but if laura’s okay -anyone need a couch?

Ya that’s fine with me. I’ll be heading out Wednesday evening about 4PM and expect to arrive ~7:30. Dunno what hotel check in will be like, if you’re out when I arrive.

Paula
    Participant

@bengood921 Where can I find the schedule? Thanks!

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Radio silence over! @philmatt24

Yea, but you didn’t confirm whether you’re leaving Saturday / what time. 😉

Dunno what hotel check in will be like, if you’re out when I arrive.

If Paula checks in before you arrive, she can probably just give the front desk your name and ask them to give you a room key… not 100% sure but that should work.

1. I think time boozers is more like playing Time Cruisers, not an Impaired Speed Build.
    2. There is no sign-up, you just show up
    3. Yes, bowling for bricks takes place at a real bowling alley. It’s basically building as fast as you can while playing a game.

1) Is Time Cruisers an actual game? Micah may be right, but I’d wager they will definitely do an Impaired Speed Build (you can’t play, @hacim… you’re too young. 🙂 ) They have a “Speed Build” listed right after “Time Boozers”, though (it doesn’t specifically say *impaired* but it is in the Red Brick District), so perhaps the youthful truly are the wisest among us.

2) Is that how they did it last fall at PBFII? Because at PBFI in April, they definitely had advance signups… then again, they also allowed some last minute replacement entries (I didn’t end up doing the Impaired Speed Build, which was good, because it was more entertaining watching @randomdan and @zemata go head to head than drinking terrible beer and not winning because I’m a n00b…) That said, last spring they did have an online signup… I don’t recall seeing that this year. I’ll shoot Chris an e-mail and see what he says.

3) Yeah, Micah and Rick won that last fall, right? Substantial sized prize too, no?

Where can I find the schedule? Thanks!

I linked it in an earlier post, but here it is again: PBF Schedule

Matthew
    Participant

Matt remind me to hurt you when i see you, TIME CRUISERS IS LIKE THE BEST GAME FROM LEGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (unless it was sarcasm u meant, sarcasta text is not out yet)

Micah Beideman
    Participant

1. Ya, Time Cruisers is an official Lego game that came out in the 90s.
    2. hmmm. Yup there was no signups for the September one, but that one was also smaller. Sorry for possibly giving false information, I just assuming it would be the same.
    3. Indeed we did win (about 75$ worth of Lego each).

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Chris replied:

1. Time Boozers is Time Cruisers with drinking! (He didn’t specify about the Speed Build, but I have to imagine it’s impaired… why bother, otherwise?)

2. No advance signups. Be there when the game starts.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Sweet! So your final score is a combination of your bowling score and your time to build the set? What was the set and did you get to keep that too?

If team Beideman won last fall, that makes it sound like it’s a partners event. I am there! I need a partner.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Chris says he finally received the freebie Art of the Brick tickets. He asked how many we need. I don’t know how to answer that because not everyone has spoken up, and I’m not sure whether they’re good any time or what (I asked; he hasn’t replied yet but I’ll update if he does get back to me.)

To the best of my knowledge, here are the responses regarding AotB:

Interested: Paula (has tic already), Nick, Josh, Matt R, Ben (not if we go on Thursday)

Not interested: Tim, Micah, Joe

No reply: @laura, @zemata, @kristen-s, @rbeideman, @randomdan, @matthew-jeffory

If yinz would be so kind as to indicate your interest or lack thereof, that’d be grand. Definitely interested, interested depending on when we would go, or not interested. Thanks.

Matthew
    Participant

It would depend on the time we go and how interesting it really sounds. When are we hitting the lego store?

Micah Beideman
    Participant

Ben: Last year your score was only based on how fast you built, but they were talking about changing that for this year (weather they will or not I don’t know). Assuming the rules stay the same, the team that wins gets all the sets from all the teams. Last year each team had to build a small Ninjago set and a small Ultra Agents set.
    Matt: I talked to my dad about it last night, and he said he’s not interested ether.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Thanks for relaying your dad’s lack of interest, Micah – figured that was the case but didn’t want to make assumptions.

And yeah, the bowling seems like a good time for sure… if they make it so the bowling actually matters, we may be in trouble, but we do have some speedy builders…

It would depend on the time we go and how interesting it really sounds. When are we hitting the lego store?

The LEGO Store at King of Prussia Mall is open 10-9 every day (except Sunday 11-6), and it’s only 10-15 minutes from PBF / the hotels. So people can go whenever they want. Paula already said she’s going Wednesday night. If you have specific stuff you want, it might not hurt to go early in the weekend, since there will be other AFOLs doing the same thing…

But yeah, you each have to decide for yourselves whether AotB is interesting enough to break away from PBF for several hours. It’s a solid 40+ minute drive to the Franklin Institute, depending on traffic, and my rule of thumb is don’t go if you don’t stay as long as it takes to get there and back, so I’m picturing it as at least 3 hour trip, maybe 4-5 hours. It is very close to the Rocky steps, and a cheesesteak run could also happen… but I’m not 100% sold on AotB myself since it’s a substantial commitment of time away from PBF.

Paula
    Participant

@philmatt24 Thank you for the schedule again! I’m most likely not attending Saturday, DisneyDan and I are going to be sightseeing in Philly. Not that’s it’s any comparison to Pittsburgh, but I do love a liberty bell!

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 185 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar