Philly Brick Fest 2015 – Apr 23-26

Home Forums LUG discussions Philly Brick Fest 2015 – Apr 23-26

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 185 total)
  • Author
    Zemata
    Participant

Kristen and I got a hotel right on the KOP mall. We will be there all 4 days. We don’t have room for anyone in our room but we have 2 seats in my car if anyone needs to carpool.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Yes. Micah and I are planning to live in luxury and have a room to ourselves. We do have room to transport people if there is a need for that.
    Rick

Kristen and I got a hotel right on the KOP mall. We will be there all 4 days. We don’t have room for anyone in our room but we have 2 seats in my car if anyone needs to carpool.

See?! This is all we need – information! We never want to strongarm people into sharing rooms or rides, but we also don’t want to pay for rooms we don’t need. Thanks for the responses, @rbeideman / @zemata!

Ha this made me bust out laughing. Susie won’t be at PBF, but we’ve already decided that that’s gonna be our attitude at BrickFair for anybody else going – ‘screw you guys, get your own room.’

In college, I had friends Jon and Devon in the room across the hall from me. Devon had to take a semester off, so Jon had the room to himself for the spring. One night, he said, “Don’t get me wrong – I like Devon… but I like no Devon better!” I feel the same about yinz’all – sharing rooms can be fun, but having a whole hotel room to yourself (or yourself and your significant other, if you’re into that sort of thing) is a special kind of treat. The only reason I even ask who wants to double/triple/quadruple up in the rooms is because I know money is tight for some people and we want to provide options to make the trip cheaper where possible.

For some reason, when I booked the room, the two double bed rooms were more points than the King room. So I took the one with the least amount of points.

Fair enough.

Anyway, with all this info, I’ve just revised the spreadsheet again. We seem to have no shortage of drivers, such that a few who have volunteered to drive might even consider just hopping in elsewhere to save on gas money. I’ll go ahead and get us one more room at whichever hotel currently seems best (if cost is similar, I’m going with closest to the convention; otherwise, it’ll be the one with the PBF rate.) And that’ll mean we’ll have 6 rooms total, with either 2 or 3 people per room. Paula + Laura, Rick + Micah, Evan + Kristen, Tim +1, and two more rooms for the rest of the guys – doesn’t really matter who goes where between Tim’s room and the other two, we can sort that out – I just wanna make sure we’re all covered and nobody’s sleeping under the MOC tables.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

The good news is that trailers are el cheapo. I looked at one that’s called the 4’x8′ trailer, it’s $14.95 a day, plus tax, period.

Yeah, if mileage charges are involved, no way can we spend that kind of money. At least, not unless a wealthy benefactor decides to sponsor it… but we can handle ~$20/day, I think. I might have a lead on a similarly sized trailer from one of my parents’ friends; we could probably offer him some cash (maybe $10/day so it’s cheaper for us than U-Haul but still gives him some compensation… I have a feeling he’d decline it, but it’d be the right thing to do anyway) and he’d probably let us use it for the weekend. I’ll look into that; do we have any other active rental / borrowing leads that might be cheaper than Ben’s U-Haul trailer research? Or, that might be possible to purchase within the next few weeks at a reasonable price?

So then it would be who’s driving it… Anybody else who wants to do it needs to bear in mind that you’ll need to get the tables from Josh’s house and drop them off as part of your route. And also that Thursday is prime setup time, so if you’re not leaving Pgh til noon Thu and arriving in Philly at 6pm, you’re not the ideal candidate for hauling, since setup can’t really get going until the tables arrive. (Also worth noting, Uhaul recommends you don’t go over 55mph with a trailer, so this’ll slow you down on the Turnpike if you like to drive right up to the speed limit.) I’m still planning on arriving at the convention hall around 1pm that Thursday afterooon.

All good points. There’s a place called Young’s Auto Service 2 miles from Josh’s house that apparently has trailers you can reserve through U-Haul (see attached); that might be easiest to just pick it up there and head over to Josh’s to load up. They open at 7, so if it were picked up first thing Thursday, and you had enough folks there to load it quickly and be on the road by 8 or 8:30, it might be possible to get to the convention center by 1 PM (Google says 4.5 hrs from Josh’s house.) They do allow 24 hour dropoff, so we have that going for us… which is nice…

We’ve had several volunteers (@bengood921 / @solscud007 / @laura, if I’m not mistaken… were there others?) So yinz can duke it out and give us a final answer.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Also, I added a tab in the spreadsheet with a list of stuff we need to take. Please add to it or comment here with other stuff we may need… I’m sure I’m forgetting something.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Also, I did book another room – couldn’t get any of the hotels yinz already have, so I got the Embassy Suites a few miles South of the convention center. Not bad price-wise, and should be a nice room.

We now have 6 rooms total: 4 x 2 occupants, 2 x 3 occupants. Tim’s, Josh’s, and my rooms can take whichever folks makes sense… probably based on who’s riding with whom, eh?

@matthew-jeffory
    , any idea when you’ll know if Sam is coming? Shouldn’t be a huge issue to add him to a room, but it’d be good to know. And if he doesn’t register soon, he won’t get a brick badge with his name on it… (nobody answered whether they wanted to use Paula’s friend’s registration, so that’s still an option, but he’d be Janice or something.)

Matthew
    Participant

Well im not sure if sam is or not, ill ask this weekend when i see him. Also im not sure if i need a room now, my buddy offered his place to me and sam, its just a 20 mi drive each day, its more affordable that way… so we can talk more about it soon

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Well im not sure if sam is or not, ill ask this weekend when i see him. Also im not sure if i need a room now, my buddy offered his place to me and sam, its just a 20 mi drive each day, its more affordable that way… so we can talk more about it soon

Yea, if you have a free place to stay nearby and want to avoid the cost of hotels, definitely do it. Just let me know when you confirm those details (lodging & Sam’s attendance) so we can adjust our plans… I can always drop the last room reservation if we decide we don’t need it.

Nick Chen
    Participant

Im up for getting the tables and towing. I wont know my schedule until the week before but i requested thu-sun off. So I should be able to pick up Dan and head to Josh’s first thing in the morning, depending on Dan’s and Josh’s schedule.

Nick Chen
    Participant

Nick I have a ball you could use and can tell you everything you need to know about towing if you end up being the tow person.

Awesome. I should probably get one of my own cause my business partner has a pop up camper that I might use in June. But thanks again.

Matthew
    Participant

Sam will not be going to PBF…

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

OK, friends, we’re NINE DAYS OUT from PBF. Let’s review where things stand.

Attendees: @hacim, @rbeideman, @paulamalu, @laura, @randomdan, @team-holp, @timf, @matthew-jeffory, @zemata, @kristen-s, @bengood921, @solscud007. me, @JoshHall, @zbauer. 15 total, although some folks won’t be there for the whole event.

Things I’d like to confirm regarding rides / hotel (see spreadsheet here):

1) Paula and Laura are sharing a room, but Paula originally said she had to leave Saturday. Is Paula staying until Sunday now? If not, where does Laura sleep Saturday night?

2) Is Joe still only staying Friday night? This may affect the breakdown in the “bachelor” rooms.

3) Is everyone happy with the hotel breakdown on the spreadsheet? Currently, we have 6 rooms, 2/room in most cases, with Joe crashing in one of the bachelor rooms for the night(s) he’s around. I believe rooms A, B, D, and E are confirmed as full, so our only other option would be to drop a room and cram Dan, Nick, Ben, me, and Joe (for one or two nights) all in one room… that might be a bit much, but if it’s a suite (it is), we could do it if we wanted the cost savings. THIS IS IMPORTANT because I need to cancel one of the room reservations if we do decide to pack into one. Also, I can’t remember if I arbitrarily assigned Matthew L to Tim’s room, or if he specifically volunteered… doesn’t matter to me who stays with Tim vs. in one of the other rooms, just so we have the head counts decided and know who’s chipping in what percentage of which room’s costs when all is said and done.

4) CARS. I believe Zach and Joe are on their own due to partial weekend attendance. Ben is solo because he’s stopping in Lancaster. That leaves 12 people and 5 drivers listed. Evan, Kristen, and Josh are riding together (car 1). Nick and Dan are driving together, with trailer (2). Rick and Micah are riding together (3), but may be able to take passengers (last I heard.) Paula is driving (4), maybe with passenger(s)? I planned on driving (5), and I’m not sure whether Tim, Laura, and Matthew have spoken up regarding driving / riding with anyone, but Matthew lives mid-state and would probably need to meet up with someone on/near the Turnpike in order to hitch a ride the rest of the way… or drive himself? Laura may be coming from Podunk, too 😉 , I’m not sure.

It seems like 5 cars for 12 people should be manageable, and I’m all for saving the planet and not spending gas money unnecessarily… but if people want/need to drive separately, that’s fine. Tim / / Laura / Matthew, do you want to coordinate with me for rides? I’m fine either way, but want to figure it out so we can reduce the number of things left to decide. I forget where Rick and Micah live, but it’s possible they’re still willing to add a passenger, as well.

I think that’s all of the major logistics stuff; remind me if I missed anything, and please weigh in with any opinions on rides and hotels… if I don’t hear from you, I’ll make executive decisions and won’t stand for whining later if you don’t get your way.

Laura
    Participant

Paula and Laura are sharing a room, but Paula originally said she had to leave Saturday. Is Paula staying until Sunday now? If not, where does Laura sleep Saturday night?

Don’t want to speak for Paula but I think she said she was still heading out Saturday. I was planning on leaving Saturday as well, but I think I will be sticking around until Sunday, in which case I will need to find somewhere to crash.

Laura may be coming from Podunk, too 😉 , I’m not sure.

I will be coming from Altoona (basically) on Wednesday night. If anyone’s coming out and wants to meet in Breezewood around 5PM I could do that. Otherwise I will be on my own.

Joe
    Participant

I’ll be the there for both Thursday and Friday. I just need a place to crash and shower, a spot on floor is more than good enough for me.

Matthew
    Participant

Still to this day i have a place to stay at a college friends house, if it falls through i can easy sleep on a floor… Also ill be driving myself to and from the show and only have a two seater truck, so dont ask for rides please… im beyond excited about the show and cannot wait to spend all the money…

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Matt – thanks for reminding me you have lodging. Usually I remember / fully back read, but things have been crazy busy. That means one less guy in the other room(s)!

Joe – thanks for confirming your plans. We’ll have a floor space at minimum, possibly better, for you those nights.

Laura – Wednesday night? i believe Ben is driving as far as Lancaster that night, but pretty sure nobody else is going til Thurs, so you’re prob on your own that night (guys, correct me if I’m wrong on people’s planned drive times…)

We’re gettig close with the logistics planning. I sure hope someone’s working on our layout…

Laura
    Participant

Laura – Wednesday night? i believe Ben is driving as far as Lancaster that night, but pretty sure nobody else is going til Thurs, so you’re prob on your own that night (guys, correct me if I’m wrong on people’s planned drive times…)

I believe Paula’s heading out that night. she booked the room for Wednesday Night – Saturday so I figured I’d head out then. I could go Thursday morning if anyone wanted to meet up in Breezewood.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I believe Paula’s heading out that night. she booked the room for Wednesday Night – Saturday so I figured I’d head out then. I could go Thursday morning if anyone wanted to meet up in Breezewood.

OK, you’ve probably talked to Paula more recently than I have – and she’s maintained radio silence on the forums for the past few weeks 😛 so we’ll take your word for it unless @paulamalu says otherwise. Totally up to you when you drive; if she’d previously mentioned she was going to be in Philly by Weds eve. I must have forgotten. If yinz are there that early, you can be our first representatives to hit the con floor on Thurs and start recon and staking our claim!

For Saturday night (assuming Paula’s still leaving that day), if you’re not super picky about where you sleep / with which roommates, I’m sure we can squeeze you in to one of the other rooms (you might have to buy people some LEGO as compensation… 😉 )

Matthew
    Participant

Can we post out phone numbers please? Mine is 814-254-5302… this is so the people who are not there from minute one to close have a contact with people about anything going on that may be cool for others to know… ALSO if one of the vendors has a Maersk Cargo train/ Emrald night for sale, could get a hold of me and i can wheel and deal with them on the set…

plus it would be nice to be able to call someone if they get lost or lose the group at KOP/philly

Josh
    Keymaster

I’ll be the there for both Thursday and Friday. I just need a place to crash and shower, a spot on floor is more than good enough for me.

Why not kill 2 birds with 1 stone and sleep in the tub?

Maybe it’s a good idea to add a column for phone numbers in the excel sheet.
    remember the suggestion about allocating shift coverage as well.
    I’m still in limbo, sadly…

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Why not kill 2 birds with 1 stone and sleep in the tub?

Lulz.

Maybe it’s a good idea to add a column for phone numbers in the excel sheet.
    remember the suggestion about allocating shift coverage as well.

Done. Good ideas.

I’m still in limbo, sadly…

🙁 We all hope things work out for you to attend, buddy.

Josh
    Keymaster

Since Evan failed on creating a SPOT moc for international children’s festival, I might give some homework to do a spot mosaic during PBF…not studs up like last year, but should be really simple…

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

He did? Doesn’t he still have lots of time left on that?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

OK. The spreadsheet has some revisions to the car/hotel details based on offline discussions and posts here.

I also created a tab to track our staffing shifts, and filled in some preliminary / example shifts. Please take a look at that, weigh in if you have issues with the general idea, and make notes regarding your preferred staffing hours (I suggested 2 hour shifts with lots of staggered turnover to keep things fresh and give people breaks, but we can modify.)

Matthew
    Participant

How much are tickets for the public? my father is interested in coming.. if its just cheaper to join the LUG ill have him do it that way… he would be a valuble asset to the LUG because he is in the workings to become a LEGO dealer, also he is a main source for the best LED’s out there for MOC’s

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

How much are tickets for the public?

http://www.showclix.com/event/BrickFestLiveOaksPA

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gl-brick-fest-live-lego-fan-festival-24 (I believe this comes with swag, so is a better deal than above, possibly… not sure if the Showclix link includes the swag.)

Looks like $22 per session. If he’s going to stay for the whole weekend, definitely should use AFOL registration:

http://2015.phillybrickfest.com/folreg/

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 185 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar