The craigslist thread

Home Forums LUG discussions BUY / SELL / TRADE! The craigslist thread

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 231 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

Anyone reach out yet? I will, as a lug representative, if not.

Matt, if you could pull a brick stock file, that’d be swell.

I’d be all for reselling

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Its probably going to the highest bidder. Good luck gentlemen!

Josh
    Keymaster

Hi,

First off, I’m sorry for your loss. I’m not sure if I knew your late husband or not. I founded Steel City LEGO Users Group in 2012, and we have about 500 adult fans of LEGO all around Pittsburgh now. It’s possible he signed up on the website at some point if he boasts such a great collection!

A few members noticed your post and are working through to organize the set numbers and possibly all come together to make you an offer. While they do that, is the list you have on the post complete? Any other items to consider, like sets not in box, or damaged, or things like that? Have any pictures of the Mr. golds and c3po or anything you’d be willing to send along?

Thanks,
    Josh

no reply yet. if they’re all mint in box, that’s over 40k based on last 6 months avg sell price on bricklink….

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

For what it’s worth, I’m seriously interested. It’s probably a bigger investment than I could swing solo, but if a couple people are willing to go in together and we could get the lot at a price that’s both fair to the widow and worthwhile for us, it could be a nice chance to make a bit of profit and/or acquire a set or two we’ve each always wanted!!! If you feel similarly, let us know and we’ll work on a plan!

David H Donley
    Participant

I’m in.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Matt, I fully support your enthusiasm but I want to start using less room to store LEGO, not more.

Something to consider: shipping costs for large sets got crazy expensive starting in June of 2019.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I’m in.

O_O

HE’S ALIVE.

Matt, I fully support your enthusiasm but I want to start using less room to store LEGO, not more.

Lulz. Running out of UTZ pretzel bins??

I’ve been selling sets since last fall at a pretty good clip, and my shelves are getting bare. Plus I’ve been selling parts again for the past 2+ months. It’s obviously a potentially large investment, but if it’s all NISB, it could be a win-win for her and the buyer(s): she gets a quick and easy transaction to make a lump sum and clear out her basement, and the buyer has a chance to double their investment (or more?) …if one has the startup capital, it’s not a terrible shot to take…

Something to consider: shipping costs for large sets got crazy expensive starting in June of 2019.

Buyer pays shipping, tho!

Josh
    Keymaster

craigslist 7124102746
    to 65450476cbd63516a2a651017a1ec1bd

It’s sold. I had a gentlemen come by and give me a reasonable amount after what he told me thye were worth. Thank you.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Whoa? That’s unbelievable.

Well, those sets might start reappearing on craigslist soon. However, I think you can get even more by selling them on Amazon.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Well, those sets might start reappearing on craigslist soon. However, I think you can get even more by selling them on Amazon.

I see you modifying your posts, Greg… adding the Amazon line after you thought things through a bit more! 😉

Was going to say, someone who’s that knowledgeable about LEGO to show up with that kind of cash the day he saw the post and already know the whole lot’s value is not likely to resell sealed and old sets on Craigslist, for a plethora of reasons!

1. limited market geographically
    2. high time cost (i.e. lots of e-mails and sending pics and possibly meeting people who may buy or may walk away, multiplied by doing how many individual listings)
    3. high risk of last-minute bartering nuisance (I stopped reselling Pens tix on Craigslist after one too many meetups where they waited until I’d driven to meet them before going “I know you wanted $100 but I brought $80” and forcing me to either take a loss or turn them down and hope I could find another buyer before puck drop… you won’t lose 100% of the value of a LEGO set overnight like with tix, but still, the Craigslist mentality is “try to haggle and get a ‘win’…”)
    etc.

Amazon or eBay or BrickLink would be much easier. List for what you want, then forget it until you get the orders. Buy a 25-pack of 24x18x5 boxes for $40 total so you can easily ship the large sets when the orders come. Avoid the haggling, or at least keep it constrained to e-mails sent before purchase / without you having to physically interact with people with no guarantee of sale.

Or – do timed auctions on eBay if your goal is quick turnaround and recouping your investment with some gains rather than maximizing ROI.

But craigslist is the worst for sellers, imho, especially for niche items like this (even if it’s a very wide niche.)

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Matt Redfield.
    David Bacon
    Participant

So, I tried to e-mail this lady early on as well, before I saw Kristen’s post. I never got a reply. I don’t know why Josh’s e-mail was more worthy of a reply. Especially since it looks like she lives close to me.

I agree with Matt’s breakdown of why we probably won’t see these on Craigslist. I hardly ever sell on Craigslist cause I know my own mentality is to do my best to get a deal on CL.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I see you’ve put some thought into this Matt and I agree, craigslist is not the way to sell high-demand, unopened LEGO sets.

I could see someone telling this widow that the sets were worth about five thousand dollars but, “I will give you four thousand dollars cash so I can resell them.” Deal.

People often don’t understand the collectible market. My aunt had a box of 1960’s GI Joes that she probably would have sold at a yard sale for about $100, but she asked me to put them on eBay. I divided the GI Joes into lots and I think we got her more than $2000 … and some were resold at a profit within months.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

This costs less than it would cost to build a substandard claw machine out of LEGO parts. 🙁

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/290953015423676/

Which is sad because I recently acquired an inspirational Pizza Planet t-shirt.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

This one is actually FREE for the case.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/297112334650726/

of course its even less moveable than a 6 foot LEGO Christmas tree.

Attachments:
    Krista K

If anyone is looking for bulk parts, there’s a listing for about 40 lbs. The price already dropped to $200 since it was posted.

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tag/d/pittsburgh-lego-lot-40lbs/7162925677.html

I’d pick up myself, but I already have way too much that needs sorted. ?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I’ve squandered too much time looking for local LEGO deals and when I do find something, someone else is already there. For example I found the item below to be within reasonable driving distance only 4 hours after it was posted and it is already pending pickup. Oh well, the grapes were probably sour anyway.

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Anybody have a few thousand dollars to spare? This woman is looking to sell this collection as a single lot. (modular, castle, Pirates, etc.)

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tag/d/pittsburgh-massive-new-lego-collection/7124102746.html

Remember that $40k haul? Total speculation, but maybe this is where some of it went: https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tag/d/sewickley-hard-to-find-retired-lego-sets/7179950437.html

Krista K

Anyone looking for old sets? Looks like there’s a monorail. ?

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tag/d/pittsburgh-rare-massive-vintage-lego/7199366248.html

Greg Schubert
    Participant

That would be a fun project for someone with a lot of room, money, time and interest. 😀

Attachments:
    Josh
    Keymaster

Facebook marketplace is basically Craigslist now, right?

This lady has no idea what she has, and it shows. “Aircraft carriers and military machines”. …it looks all Star Wars to me. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1131585440621901/

And over priced.

David Bacon
    Participant

Facebook marketplace is basically Craigslist now, right?

This lady has no idea what she has, and it shows. “Aircraft carriers and military machines”. …it looks all Star Wars to me. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1131585440621901/

And over priced.

I agree that FB Marketplace is basically the new Craigslist. Oddly enough, I have two mutual friends with this woman. I don’t know if it’s overpriced, but yes, the description is inaccurate to say the least. It is all Star Wars from what is shown in the picture.

Josh
    Keymaster

not craigslist, but this estate sale company has a sale this saturday in lawrenceville and has a few things like the basketball set and life on mars. could be worth +100 easy if everything is there.

David Bacon
    Participant

This Craigslist Post caught my eye. An AFOL being forced to part with their collection?

But wait, “If they don’t sell for a fair value, I get to keep them.” I am confused, is this person selling or not?

“[Y]ou are welcome to come and buy what you want individually. Price for individual sets will be 15% off market value.” Sounds fair, but not really a Craigslist deal. But wait, “Minimum spending amount is $500. Don’t want to spend an hour with you window shopping in my home just to buy a $50 set.” Minimum is $500? How much is this person selling, or not selling?

Craigslist Photo

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by David Bacon.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Was this post deleted?

“This Craigslist Post caught my eye. An AFOL being forced to part with their collection? …”

David Bacon
    Participant

I don’t know what happened to it. I posted, then went to edit so I could add a picture, and now my post is gone. Haven’t felt like typing it out again. You can see the Craiglist post here: https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tag/d/pittsburgh-massive-lego-star-wars/7331996364.html So many questions though.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 231 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar