Threadjacking

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Threadjacking

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 1,453 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> It looks like the LUG is going through its own dark period.

Sean supposedly has been messing with the website, I don’t know if he knows anything about it or not, or how to fix it. @arcadiumsol

Sean Collins
    Participant

@bengood921 I’ve been working locally inside my own network and Josh didnt give me access to the main site only a dev site. so anything i do isnt going to affect the main site till approved.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Well, that sounds like you’re still more knowledgeable than most of us on how it works, do you know why the photostream on the home page is black? Cause I definitely don’t know how that stuff works. It’s not the first time this has happened, I never know how it gets fixed or who does it.

Sean Collins
    Participant

after investigating it. it seems the file at http://www.flickr.com/apps/slideshow/show.swf?v=140556 isn’t working. I tested it (http://www.flickrslideshow.com/) for individual users and there are slow loading times but no problems. The problem seem to be when you try to slideshow a group. Using both https://www.flickr.com/groups/steelcitylug/ and https://www.flickr.com/groups/2098937@N20 I got the same result of a blank app. My conclusion is Flickr may have changed their API and didn’t update this Flash app to reflect that change yet or they are phasing it out. Solutions would be wait and see if they update or find a new plugin.

Update: I even tested if someone could favorite the photos and share that and still no dice. If anything I can look into Flickr API and see if i can dev something more permanent. Up to you all.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Sean Collins.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> Solutions would be wait and see if they update or find a new plugin.

That’s way more technical than anything I could have figured out. I did notice before you made this post that Adobe was telling me they had a new update I needed to download; normally I’m not in any hurry on these, but I thought maybe the reason we were all getting the black rectangle is simply cause none of us had updated our Flash plugin yet, so I went and did it right away. But it didn’t help, I still had the black rectangle. So I’m going with what you said.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I have to drive to and from Erie on Sunday. Are there any good places along 79 to stop for LEGO between Cranberry and Erie?

David Bacon
    Participant

I have to drive to and from Erie on Sunday. Are there any good places along 79 to stop for LEGO between Cranberry and Erie?

I don’t think there is any good place to stop period between Cranberry and Erie. Best to make the dash as quickly as possible.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> I don’t think there is any good place to stop period between Cranberry and Erie. Best to make the dash as quickly as possible.

Yeah, I was gonna say, I don’t know what you were hoping for here. Maybe that really awesome discount Lego store on Wishful Thinking Avenue. Good luck finding that one.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I placing an order to Bricks On The Euro in Germany. I can add about 350 grams to the order without increasing the shipping cost. Does this store have any small hard-to-find items that anyone needs?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Did… did Greg just threadjack the Threadjacking thread with a post that should’ve gone under Bricklink Bandwagon?

Definitely some stuff on my wanted list, but nothing I desperately *need*, per se… could get some sand red corner bricks, some cheese, etc. if you don’t find other takers.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Bricklink Bandwagon?

I never know who is subscribed to these threads but I rarely hear from anyone when I create a post in the “I am placing a bricklink order” thread, so I thought I’d try something else. Ben reported finding a few gems, so I’ll count this as a success.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Fair enough. I would not equate lack of responses with lack of visibility, necessarily… but I hear ya. Only so much we can do to get the word out via the forums – people have to choose to read ’em & subscribe!

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

<< Ben reported finding a few gems, so I’ll count this as a success.

And then Greg canceled the order 😛

I did, however, pick up parts from Greg on Sunday for a different order; it was my first time at his house. His Lego room is very fun, it’s like the Willy Wonka of Lego rooms, with all kinds of neat stuff tucked away here and there and on display, so I recommend it for anybody who can finangle an invitation over there.

I still haven’t made it to see Bob’s Hogwarts or Frost’s Hot Wheels, so I’ll have to keep working on those.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

His Lego room is very fun, it’s like the Willy Wonka of Lego rooms, with all kinds of neat stuff tucked away here and there and on display, so I recommend it for anybody who can finangle an invitation over there.

Some of us have been angling for that invitation for five years… @JoshHall @timf @erunaamo

Zach Bauer
    Participant

Some of us have been angling for that invitation for five years…

It’s worth the wait.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

What are all the alexbrick2000 virtual batman builds on the SteelCityLUG Flickr feed?

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> What are all the alexbrick2000 virtual batman builds on the SteelCityLUG Flickr feed?

Those somehow’d managed to escape my attention til now. But I checked, and alexbrick2000 is a resident of Germany and is not a member of the LUG. So somebody – we have 5 administrators and 6 moderators – will want to go in and delete them all out.

There’s no reason to boot him out of the group – I join other LUG’s Flickr groups cause it’s an easy way to see what displays and activities they’ve been doing – but if he continues to post photos somebody will have to warn him or block him.

I haven’t been an administrator for more than a year, but this kind of thing isn’t unusual. I think a lot of people who don’t speak English as a first language (or at all) see Lego pics and assume they can post theirs there, and a lot of people are big on posting their photos literally anywhere they can. Some of you have probably heard this story before – one time somebody posted a screen shot of the corporate homepage for a steel company in India, it was obvious they’d they done a Flickr search for ‘steel’ and posted it to every single match that came up, regardless of what it was, as a way to promote the company. I did enjoy deleting the photo and blocking them.

Micah Beideman
    Participant

K, I deleted them and updated the queue. Though I check flickr multiple times a day, I probably don’t check the Steel City LUG group as much as I should :\

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

What are all the alexbrick2000 virtual batman builds on the SteelCityLUG Flickr feed?

Yeah, Josh and I talked several weeks ago, and neither knew him, so I e-mailed him to ask if he recently moved here or something… got no response (not that I’d remembered to check.) We figured give him the benefit of the doubt while gently explaining that our thread is for our members’ work and our LUG activities… but he didn’t ‘splain himself so I’m considering it spam.

BUT. This begs the question – who approved the photos to be in our stream, and why? Do we need to revoke someone’s admin/mod privileges? 😉 Or just have coaching sessions / a vote on what our flickr feed is about?

ALSO. Does anyone know Connor Yoho? He’s posting some Star Wars stuff to our thread… minifigs out in nature and/or with lasers and stuff edited in… which is fine, but not quite what we’re looking for, especially if it’s not coming from a member. If nobody knows who it is, I can message and ask if he’s local, like I did with alexbrick2000.

Micah Beideman
    Participant

I don’t know him, but his profile says he’s from the area, so I approved his photos (and tho they’re not mocs, they are pretty good shots).

“I am a AFOL living out of Pittsburgh. I work in film for a living currently handling several ongoing projects. I just recently started taking pictures in December and I am hoping to improve over time. My favorite Lego sets have to be Star Wars.”

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Wait where do you find profile info? I am apparently a flickr n00b because I could not find that… wait nevermind now I did.

OK, he’s allowed to post his very nice shots of non-MOCs. 😉

And he’s in film, so maybe we revisit the idea of doing a LEGO Pittsburgh Dad episode or something…?

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> BUT. This begs the question – who approved the photos to be in our stream, and why?

Ha, it’s like an Agatha Christie novel, you’re now down to 9 suspects.

This kind of thing is everywhere among Lego Flickr groups. A lot of them deal with it by either heavily moderating or limiting the number of photos somebody can post per day, or both. It depends on the scope of the group though and who’s running it; for example for the BrickFair group, they stopped paying attention years ago (Todd isn’t connected to the group) and so you typically have to scroll through pages and pages of crap before you get to photos that are actually from BrickFair. As a result, I hardly ever go there, instead using other sources to see photos of the events. We definitely don’t want that to happen to us.

In advance of BFNE last year, I created a group specific to that event and got Todd to promote it. My stated reasoning was that on the BrickFair group, the VA photos tend to dominate and it’s hard to find photos of the smaller events (which is true), but really it was so I could indulge my control-freak nature and moderate it myself to keep out the garage. But the other thing I did, which is the reason I mention is here, is that I also wrote a ‘terms of service’ blurb that you had to read in order to become a member. I can’t remember if we have one or not, but I’m guessing not; most groups leave that section blank, although I have read them for other groups. They are, of course, like all online terms of service, in that just because somebody checked that they read them, it doesn’t necessarily mean that they did. And I can’t say how well it worked because I only ran the group for a short time before passing it on to others (at which point I deleted out the rules except for one sentence), and it currently only has 17 members.

My original rules weren’t short (this probably surprises no one) but I thought they were clear and comprehensive, and despite the fact that I gave as wide a range as I could on what constitutes an acceptable photo, I had a surprisingly easy time writing them. What makes an acceptable Steel City LUG group photo is a lot more complicated. But maybe it would be worth it to put in something (I just checked, the Group Rules section is currently blank), it might make some people realize they don’t belong there.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> Some of us have been angling for that invitation for five years…

Just for the record, I’ve been in Greg’s Lego room twice now.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

This is old news by now, but how do I find these so I can buy them?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brothers-brick/30890009424/

They were in a 2016 whitehouse display.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Flickr link broken, Greg… :/

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 1,453 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar