What the heck is Rich building?

Home Forums All Things LEGO! What the heck is Rich building?

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 318 total)
  • Author
    Rich Millich
    Participant

9/16/2021:

CAR DESIGN

* I planned on working on the #30. Then the alternate #7. Then changing the #89 in purple, lime, white and orange. Instead, I think I’m just going to “throw my hat over the fence” and start ordering the unique parts I need to update the racer figs. I need more fig heads for both the crowd and to make the drivers unique.

Sometimes it’s good to just step away for a few days from LEGO, especially after a large event.

Rich Millich
    Participant

9/20/2021:

* Got back into actual building again and assigned parts to varying cars, mostly the final four remaining. I’m making the #89 a mad Rainbow Warrior splurge of green, lime, white, purple, orange and red. I have no idea how ugly this car is going to get, and for once, I’m throwing color blocking to the wind in favor of a “splotched” livery we sometimes see on race cars.

* Placed the new driver into the #89, merging the actual head and helmet of the original #89 LEGO set with the Monster Truck Driver’s fire suit.

* Built set 30354, the Hot Rod polybag. This is yet another car I can improve to my higher standards, as it will be fairly easy to upgrade it to have license plate, tail lights, dashboard, and a smoother and more solid transition from cockpit to the supercharger near the front.

Rich Millich
    Participant

Well, well, well.

Look what I found.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Rich Millich.
    Dan
    Participant

What did you find??

Rich Millich
    Participant

9/30/2021:

CAR DESIGN

Well, well, well.

Look what I found. The ONLY sticker sheet available worldwide. As soon as funds land in PayPal? YOINK. Stickers are designed for Technic fairings, and might be too big. One is 1×6-ish, the other 1×12, but it’s worth the $4 experiment to know if I can make these fit.

Since the 1×12 sticker transitions from black at the back, is mostly red, with silver flame front, this dictates that the alternate 96 car is probably a red car with silver as the secondary color, with bits of black as accent. I think a flat silver front could be very exciting. This alternate 96 may bump the existing 96 to an alternate if this works.

20 30 80 89
    FOUR CARS REMAIN

2 5 6 7 8 27 (96?)
    ALTERNATES POSSIBLE

3 4 18 46
    ALTERNATES EARMARKED OR GIVEN

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Rich Millich
    Participant

10/5/2021:

PARTS ARRIVED!

BL order #1 of 5 has arrived.

CAR DESIGN

I will use these to complete a couple of taxis, some green City cars (maybe a Jeep and some green/black hardtops). The green-lime-purple parts are going to be applied to the #89, based on part 30602pb007. I haven’t decided to go with green-lime-checkerboard of the curved slope part, or to go with lime-white-purple of the current driver. I’m leaning toward the former and trying to shoehorn the lime-white-purple into an existing car.

DRIVER CHARACTER DESIGN

But the star of this order are about 40 minifig heads. I’ll be using these heads to rework the mostly plain faced drivers into characters to deepen the lore on this long term MOC. I’m working up a series of jokey driver names, like Stryker Piston and Carl Burator. A happy-go-lucky Lou Zirr? Hardy Leadfoot? Turner Apex? Benji Rinkin?

*PSA*
    I do not advocate drunk driving. Drink responsibly. Have a designated driver. Know when to quit before you embarrass yourself. And remember, alcohol continues to get you more drunk even after you stop.
    *PSA ENDS*

So tonight I’m going to go home, pull all drivers and pit crews out, and start some major fig updating, figuring out who the Lawful, Neutral, and Chaotic drivers are, as well as the spotters for the “complete” teams with printed torsos.

Some people root for the rebels in racing. The racers in black.

20 30 80 89
    FOUR CARS REMAIN

2 4 5 6 7 8 27 66 (96?)
    ALTERNATES POSSIBLE

3 18 46

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Rich Millich.
    Attachments:
    Rich Millich
    Participant

10/6/2021:

BL order 2 of 5 arrived.

DRIVER CHARACTER DESIGN

I sorted out the heads I got, first into smile, smirk, stern and frown, to distribute among the 43 characters. I then sorted into male and female, as I want to use that proportion too. I might as well match as many faces to the sticker sheets of the source sets as I can and keep the names. This will require some research, but that’s okay, as I can do this via BL.

I have lots of options on the 89 now, as I have enough parts in both options to just go for it and see how each option looks.

20 30 80 89
    FOUR CARS REMAIN

2 4 5 6 7 8 27 66 (96?)
    ALTERNATES POSSIBLE

3 18 46

Rich Millich
    Participant

10/11/2021:

BL order 3 of 5 arrived.

DRIVER CHARACTER DESIGN

It turns out that since most of the cars are evolved from Tiny Turbos and other non-minifig sets, there are only a dozen or so of fig heads that match a particular car number. That’s a good thing, as I already have most of them on hand, and I can assign these new heads to driver figs much more freely than I thought.

CAR CONSTRUCTION

* Built the #89 up from the base to the side walls. About 60% complete. I went lime and black checkerboard with green down the middle to match the printed #89 part. I don’t like it. I may rebuild the sides into a plate height checkerboard instead, but I don’t have the lime 1×1 plates for that. I may stick with the first design and see if it grows on me.

TRACK CONSTRUCTION

* I built some more dump cans, as I want two for each pit lane team. I plan on having four pit lane teams. I have eleven dump cans in progress, six of which are complete.

20 30 80 89
    FOUR CARS REMAIN

2 4 5 6 7 8 27 66 (96?)
    ALTERNATES POSSIBLE

3 18 46

Rich Millich
    Participant

10/27/2021:

All five BL orders arrived.

* Pit crews for the #4 Vita Rush and the #23 SpinWear partially filled.
    * A copy of Nitro acquired for the alternate #18.
    * New driver for the #6 Dragon Dueller in Devon Daredevil.
    * New driver for the #84.
    * New driver for the #89.
    * More dump cans completed.

CAR CONSTRUCTION

* Continued to build the #89 up to the top. About 90% complete, because I need to massage the spoiler shaping and color blocking a little. I like the patterning much better now, and I’ve found sponsor parts for it in green, lime and a touch of red and yellow in “Up N Down”, “Yubihama”, “EnGyne”, “LOOK” and “ONE”. This suddenly becomes a well sponsored car with a printed torso driver, and is thus eligible for Pit Lane display as a full team.

CAR DESIGN

* I am seriously thinking of adding the racer fig Nitro Nick to the #88 car and converting it into a reptilian look, as there are many curved slopes with reptilian scale printing. I have a wasp themed car, why not a snake?

20 30 80 89
    FOUR CARS REMAIN

2 4 5 6 7 8 27 66 (96?)
    ALTERNATES POSSIBLE

3 18 46

Rich Millich
    Participant

10/31/2021:

CAR CONSTRUCTION

The #30 and #80 are probably a two car underfunded team. The end is in sight!

20 89
    TWO CARS REMAIN

2 4 5 6 7 8 27 66 (96?)
    ALTERNATES POSSIBLE

3 18 46

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

two car underfunded team

underfunded or underwritten? there is a big difference!

Rich Millich
    Participant

two car underfunded team

underfunded or underwritten? there is a big difference!

Underfunded. Their owner signed the waiver forms.

Rich Millich
    Participant

11/1/2021:

PARTS ACQUISITION

This is one of the parts I plan on adding to the #89 car, and the set is now on order through BL, along with the 1 x 3 lime curved slopes that go outboard of them. I’ll probably peel the red lights off of the top. Or not, as this *is* a Near Future vibe where extra lights can appear on any of the cars.

CAR DESIGN

I also have a Nick Nitro on the way for the #88 car, which may trigger a redesign into a scaly looking livery, as there are plenty of curved slopes that do that. Fun fact: the driver of the #18 (this fig actually has an “18” on the torso) is simply named Nitro. So these guys are probably related, but I can’t find a first name for the #18 “Nitro”… so I get to name him. Chuck Nitro, brother of Nick Nitro? Maybe!

After I complete the #20 and #89, I will next start to pull the cars out of the box I came back with from Brick Fest Live, and replace the LBG gas caps with appropriately colored ones where I can. I will also attempt to use up the last of my sponsor stickers as the cars come out. I’ll also be refining the drivers, as I now have some of the minifig heads from the sets that inspired the MOC. I can also raise the driver up a plate where the hood details partially obscure the windshield as I go.

I’m going to start work on the #20 car tonight, and I found a sticker set for it. This car will now be sponsored by CellFish, another of LEGO’s fake companies. I thought about using stickers from an Ice Planet set that had a bunch of 20s on it, but those stickers are all 6 studs long or longer. That’s a no go. I also didn’t want to drift into LEGO themed cars, although ARCTIC could mean anything.

PRESS START

Today is the first day of NNoVVember, so, like every year, I’m tempted to build a Vic Viper starfighter. Probably not, but now’s the time for me to start checking that Flickr thread for AWESOME builds.

20 89
    TWO CARS REMAIN

2 4 5 6 7 8 27 66 (96?)
    ALTERNATES POSSIBLE

3 18 46

Rich Millich
    Participant

11/4/2021:

THREAD STATUS

Yeah, this has turned into a blog. I’ve found it useful over time to keep this thread updated not just as a motivator for myself to keep going, but to go through and keep track of my creative thoughts and process.

WHAT DID I LEARN SO FAR?

First, I’ve found that I waffle a lot on design based on the parts available, the scope of the project, and how smaller builds are arranged into a bigger one. As it turns out, I think it’s better to have the smaller builds (figs and vehicles) trigger the purpose that the bigger structures serve. After all, nearly all stories are human stories, and thus, dioramas and displays seem to originate with figs, animals, and vehicles, with some very notable exceptions, like architecture and abstract art.

Second, I’ve learned that in my style, virtual building and building with live brick are best intertwined. Virtual building saves me time, the sorting required with experimentation, and saves my fingers. Building with live brick gives me the real world feel that rotating a virtual model can’t provide, viewing angles I don’t naturally consider, and insight into weight and other mechanical concerns that the virtual modeling can’t execute nor account for.

Third, I’ve learned that certain colors can be prohibitive because of their lack of part selection, and those colors’ resulting pattern in unexpected locations on a model. Therefore, a little BrickLink research by color is necessary for a large project unless it’s spread out over years’ worth of time.

Fourth, I’ve learned about stickers and what I call “finishing” bricks: those with a studless look, surface details, printed parts, and so on, as these parts are both rare and particular in the LEGO ecosystem, and care needs to be taken to avoid an unintentional callback to an established set. It seems best to work backward from those bricks when they’re intended for a model. Printed and stickered surface elements can have a domino effect inward, toward the superstructure, because of the specific size or length of the parts that carry the detail I want.

Fifth, I learned to relax. Not every build needs to be huge, dioramic, or full of backstory. I can integrate smaller builds over time with multiple minor adjustments in most cases. It keeps my projects from being overwhelming, as I can let the build and details develop organically. Compartmentalizing a large build into dedicated sections is much more approachable for me.

Finally, I learned that I don’t need nearly as much support and encouragement as I thought I did, so long as I enjoy the process, and match that process to the time and resources I have to spend on LEGO. I’ve learned to consciously do that, and not judge my Fun by the standards of Work, Fame, Profit, Professionalism, or other silly things when it comes to this kids’ toy hobby. I’ve learned to really relax.

As this race car field project draws toward a close of the first version of the formal 43 car field, I’d like to thank the LUG members who have shown interest over these years in this crazy, particular project of mine. I still intend to reward you directly with MOCs in genuine gratitude for your interest and support of my creative intent. This includes as many of you as I have alternate cars left to build. I’ll post these as they’re completed, and who they can go to.

The support matters. It really does.

Thank you.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Rich Millich.
    Rich Millich
    Participant

11/5/2021:

WHAT WAS (1986)

We’ve come a long, long way.

Attachments:
    Rich Millich
    Participant

11/5/2021:

WHAT IS (2021)

And we’re almost there.

ONE CAR REMAINS

Attachments:
    Rich Millich
    Participant

11/7/2021:

FIELD COMPLETED

This is the #20 CellFish GT V8 MOC, and is the final car required to reach a field size of 43.

FINAL QUALIFYING LAP

Now, I pull the cars out, one by one, from the display at BrickFest Live, adjusting driver heads, raising the cockpit areas where necessary, and applying every sticker I have left.

Unless I get a wild inspiration or find a super rare sticker sheet during this process, this is it!

ZERO CARS REMAIN
    FIELD COMPLETED

2 4 5 6 7 8 27 66 (96?)
    ALTERNATES POSSIBLE

3 18 46

Attachments:
    Rich Millich
    Participant

11/8/2021:

CAR CONSTRUCTION

* Now that I’m pulling cars out one by one, I noticed right away on the #96 that the sides of the car are built high enough that the side window of the car is only 2 tiles high. I need to raise the cockpit are of this one, and probably others. The #96 is now in pieces again on my LEGO work area.

CAR DESIGN

* This sticker sheet has served me well, supplying stickers for the #18, #20, #57, and #7. Now I want to use the BSC / SPEED stickers in the lower right and fill out either the Rainbow Warrior #73 or the blue / flame #55, the #55 being more likely. I have so much of the Brick Street Customs parts that I may build a MOC paying tribute to that set, and sponsored by a car. I’d rather have as many cars sponsored as possible, so this will break and reforge the color blocking of one of these cars.

Rich Millich
    Participant

11/12/2021:

CAR CONSTRUCTION

I’m going through mu MOCs one more time, taking new pictures after I edit gas caps, cockpit height, and minifig heads. It turns out that very few of the cars I built had drivers or faces to go with them, so I can select from the 40 or so minifig heads that I bought.

I’ve also started putting the version 2 car photos onto flickr, and I plan to prorate the cars based on popularity there over time. I already have 4 of the 43 done, and the #46 is on my baseplates waiting for me to organize the pit crew for their photo.

Rich Millich
    Participant

11/15/2021:

CAR / TEAM CONSTRUCTION

I got the #46 posted on Flickr, and got to take a look at the pit crew organization more closely.

It turns out that 8 figs with matching printed torsos that match the car is what I need, as these teams are the only ones I want to place in the paddock. Here’s what 8 figs I need:
    * A driver in the car. This driver can have a differently patterned helmet than the rest of the crew.
    * A spotter and a crew chief for their pit box. Ball caps and headsets are common here.
    * Five actual pit crew to go over the wall: a jackman, a gasman, two tire changers, and a fifth pit crew member who catches the extra gas to make sure a fire doesn’t result, might tear off the inclement weather window screen, and might make quick adjustments to the car during the pit stop.

The #46 team does have the 8 figs required, and two extra torsos for a merch shop if I decide to build that.

* Rebuilt the #88 car. I wanted to use the same scaly reptilian themed parts as the Nick Nitro fig torso has, but the XRFuel logo they used there is awful, so I looked for other scaly part options. This led me to dark green parts with scales, and to set 9450, Rise of the Snakes, a Ninjago set. It turns out that the curved slopes were perfect, and with the more scattered color blocking that I’m now okay with for race cars, I’m okay with this dark-green-green-red motif.

I also added the green and lime stickered 1 x 6 curved slope parts shown above, but built up the outboard sections at the rear of the car so that only the lime “hooks” show on the sides, and the red lights on top. As a result, I think the #88 and #89 entries may be a two car team for the same manufacturer, as the colors and some stickers are very similar, but the shaping is different.

* Next up, and on my workspace now for polish, are the #43 and just a teence more work on the #88. I get to select a head for the #43 driver, and Nitro Nick is definitely going into the #88, with a small change: dark green legs and hips.

TRACK DESIGN: PADDOCK AND PIT AREA LAYOUTS

* I got a couple of garage door parts with handles, and so I started feeling my way around the general size of a paddock stall. I know now that the stall needs to be bigger than the car, and that the 1×14 brick that holds the garage door is not long enough to hold the typically 19-20 stud length cars I’ve made. If I want exits on both ends, which I do, the answer is to make the paddock stall 28 studs long, which still fits nicely with a 2 stud transition on either end of a 32 x 32 baseplate.

Width is a different issue, as these 7+ stud wide cars *barely* fit through the 8 stud wide garage door. Clearly, the paddock needs to be wide enough for people to move around the car, so a 4 stud space on either side of the 10 stud wide entrances is a minimum. This makes 18 studs wide, and I can’t do that, since I need two paddock stalls per baseplate. This means I have to have the stalls 16 studs wide, and any fig on the sides of the car must be facing it.

Thankfully, this means that out of an interior paddock space of 24 x 14, with the car filling most of it, this leaves a 2×3 space in each corner for the figs to squeeze around in. This also means that placement of race team things like gas cans need to take up one and only one corner, and the rest placed outside in the similar 2×3 spaces that result outside the paddock stall. This is a good thing, as these stacked toolboxes, should be displayed in what will be the pit stall space.

Equally thankfully, height is not a big issue at all, and I’m more concerned on how to get figs up on top of the paddock stalls onto the pit box area. I think two staircases framing the Winner’s Circle platform should be fine.

All together, this means two paddock stalls per baseplate, with a Winner’s Circle in the middle, that makes for three baseplates wide. With a divided, four lane arrangement in front for pit lane and the Start/Finish line, the minimum display size for this MOC must be 3×3 baseplates, and 5×3 if I want the track to turn inward on the display table.

2 4 5 6 7 8 27 66 (96?)
    ALTERNATES POSSIBLE

3 18 46

Attachments:
    Rich Millich
    Participant

11/15/2021:

NEW PIC, CAR CONSTRUCTION

This is the rebuilt and re-themed #88 Zoom Box Cameras car with an unhappy Nitro Nick.

Attachments:
    Rich Millich
    Participant

11/16/2021:

CITY CAR CONSTRUCTION

* Rebuilt two taxis. Two figs now fit in each car, but without seats and jammed directly against each other. I need to rebuild them again to make them at least two studs longer: one in back to accommodate the passenger and driver more comfortably, and one or two up front to make this vehicle balanced front and back. This third rebuild will likely wait, as the #43 is on deck for final refinement.

Rich Millich
    Participant

11/23/2021:

CAR REFINEMENT

* The final refinement is underway. I’ve been posting the version 2 cars one by one on Flickr. This process is much faster. I have 6 of 44 done already.

Rich Millich
    Participant

11/26/2021:

CAR CONSTRUCTION
    * Adding version 2 cars to Flickr. There are now 17 of 44 posted there in their version 2 form.
    * Sponsors added to several cars.

CAR DESIGN
    * I will attempt to rebuild the #38, #55 and #21 entirely with the discovery of leftover sticker sheets.

TRACK CONSTRUCTION
    * Tho halves of one paddock stall are finished, so I can use their fronts to design Winner’s Circle beside them or back to back to test the depth of this area.
    * All track flags are constructed, both for display at Winner’s Circle and for the flagman.

TEAM DESIGN
    * I now have 11 options for Pit Lane so far, and the possibility of building Pit Lane huge as a result. Current teams eligible for pit stop madness are: 1, 4, 13, 14, 17, 21, 23, 29, 33, 46 and 96. These teams are therefore the top contenders, as their teams are the ones who may celebrating in pit lane too. 88 figs are invested in this decision alone.

Rich Millich
    Participant

12/1/2021:

TRACK CONSTRUCTION

This is a general idea for minimum paddock stall width, even though each pit box must be 20 studs long for the car to fit.

This is also the format for the Winner’s Circle sign I want to be able to plug on and remove. This is 24 studs wide. If I design this right, two pit stalls of 20 studs long + this sign between = 64 studs, and adding the turns into and out of pit lane means the minimum footprint for this build is now 4 baseplates long and 2 deep: one for the track, one for pit lane and a 6 stud deep facade.

I’m also thinking about these patterned parts as the corners of one half of the pedestrian bridge, which will also double as the Start / Finish line.

Attachments:
Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 318 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar