2019 Cranberry Library Summer Display

Home Forums LUG discussions 2019 Cranberry Library Summer Display

Viewing 23 posts - 76 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    Bob Grier
    Participant

I am not sure I understand. I have a three baseplate build for the floor. I also have a ship from @arcadiumsol and a rover with Vic Viper on back. I don’t have loose brick or plate to spread around. Is that what we need? @timf mentioned needing that before.

Jim, I dropped off a six or seven gallon bags of loose LBG, DBG and Orange (lava) brick last night that Josh sent up from the LUG. Ben already has one bin of “space lava” there, and if he brings another one we should have more than enough loose brick.

As far as I know, we have the following going on the floor:
    * your 3 baseplate build, and a rover with Vic Viper on it.
    * Tim’s build including the Saturn 5 (I think it’s 4 baseplates – he’s still working on it).
    * Greg’s 1 baseplate moon base (dropped off last night).
    * Dan dropped off at least 2 baseplates of floor builds (maybe more) last night.
    * Tom’s space train and several rovers.

In the air, we have (or will have):
    * My Klingon Bird of Prey (already hung).
    * Dan’s large classic space ship (already hung).
    * Another mid-sized ship from Dan, plus several smaller ships (dropped off but not hung yet).
    * Sean’s space ship.

You should bring a 6 or 8 ft. extension cord if you’re still going to power your build. There’s power in the display case up in the ceiling trellis, and it’s near the sliding glass door where your build is going to go. 6 ft. should work, 8 ft. would be plenty.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Bob Grier.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I am going to bring another case of lava just in case. It sounds like there’s plenty of stuff going on the floor though, and it’s possible then that we will be able to cover it with a single case.

How big is Sean’s ship? I guess I’ll find out tomorrow. I’m not sure if we’re gonna get Dan’s second ship hung or not, I guess it’s possible, his big ship really took up a lot of space though, and it means it’s tougher to navigate the case now unless you’re sitting on the floor.

I found the pig. (He does not take up much space, so that’s not a concern.) It took some searching, and it turned out to be not worth the effort, I thought he was still tied to fishing line from use in previous displays, but he’s not. I don’t know what happened with that, I don’t remember untying him. So I could’ve used any pig (such as the one I took to LVRR, since I know where that one is). I also couldn’t figure out how I had tied him up, so I actually had to go refer to Matt’s Flickr photos. And I left the line at the library, so there’s no tying til tomorrow morning anyway.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

We got set up this morning, both in the display case at the front and the main case in the back. Frost and Bob both took pics, so I’m looking forward to seeing them on Flickr.

I spent all that time searching for the pig last night, brought him along, mentioned him to Tim while I was there, and then got so caught up in hanging spaceships n stuff that I completely forgot about him til I got back home. So, opportunity missed by Ben. The soonest I’ll be able to go back over to put him in would be about 12 days from now, so I’m assuming it’s not gonna happen. So sad.

Bob Grier
    Participant

Another successful install!! Things came together fairly well this morning, even though we kind of winged it in terms of where to put things, and we were able to wrap it all up in about 2 hours. Here’s the link to some photos of the main display case in back. I also uploaded these to the LUG Group Pool on Flickr.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmE8ivwh

As you’ll see, we had no trouble filling up the main display case. As a result, one of Dan’s classic space ships and the bulk of the rovers ended up getting bumped to the front display case. Tom also took some pics of this back display case, and was going back later today to install his Benny mosaic in the front display case with the rovers. Once he does, he’ll take pics of the finished front display case, so watch for his post.

This display will be there all summer, so if you’re in the area, stop by to see this in person. The pictures don’t do it justice because of backlighting and glare issues we always have with this display case. Be sure to check out Jim Rolfe’s Alien Hive, which has a constantly changing light display in the “egg chamber”!!! The address is 2525 Rochester Rd., Suite 300, Cranberry Township, PA 16066.

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

Awesome job team! Looks really good!

I got some pics of folks setting things up if you want to include those too. I have added links @rcgrier3406 if you want to add those to your album.

Cranberry Library 2019

Cranberry Library 2019

Cranberry Library 2019

Cranberry Library 2019

Build on!

Bob Grier
    Participant

Awesome job team! Looks really good!

I got some pics of folks setting things up if you want to include those too. I have added links @rcgrier3406 if you want to add those to your album.

Build on!

Added Jim, thanks!!

Tom Frost
    Participant

going back later today to install his Benny mosaic in the front display case with the rovers. Once he does, he’ll take pics of the finished front display case, so watch for his post.

here is the front case with the mosaic, rovers, and Dan’s ship.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

@timf Did we decide on an official teardown date on this one? Now that we’re into August it occurred to me that it’s gonna be coming up at some point, and that I am going to be out of town Labor Day weekend.

Tim

We were originally looking at either August 31 (which is the Saturday of Labor Day weekend) or the following Saturday, September 7. Does September 7 work for everyone? If so, I will contact the Library and make sure that works for them.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Saturday September 7 would work for me.

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

If it is just an “hour” for breakdown, I can probably break away on 9/7.

Bob Grier
    Participant

I’m OK with Sept. 7th as well.

Tim

OK, let’s plan on Saturday, September 7 at 10:00 am. I will contact the Library and confirm that will work for them. Tear down should take no longer than 1 hour.

Tim

The Library has confirmed that Saturday, September 7 works great. So let’s plan on meeting right at 10:00 am for tear down.

Also, here is a message of appreciation from Glynnis, the Children’s Librarian: “The display has been so well received. Kids stare in and ask so many questions, sometimes come up with their own answers. Thank you again for your time and energy creating the display. “

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

The Library has confirmed that Saturday, September 7 works great. So let’s plan on meeting right at 10:00 am for tear down.

Also, here is a message of appreciation from Glynnis, the Children’s Librarian: “The display has been so well received. Kids stare in and ask so many questions, sometimes come up with their own answers. Thank you again for your time and energy creating the display. “

Very nice, thanks!

Tim

I’ve had a minor conflict come up (you guessed it – hockey). So I can not come until around 12:15 pm on September 7. All I have is the Saturn V Rocket and the launch pad/base. If I do not make it before everyone else is done, just leave my stuff locked in the case and I will get it once I am there after noon. Thanks!

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

Hello! I still plan on being at the library at 10AM Saturday. Hope to see some of you there. If not, who do I talk to in order to unlock the case? Do they know we are coming at different times?

Tim

If not, who do I talk to in order to unlock the case? Do they know we are coming at different times?

Just go to the Children’s Librarian Desk They will get you the key. You can tell her that others will be coming later. I may not make it until Monday morning now (yet another hockey game has been scheduled for Saturday afternoon – I now have three that day, one for each of my boys).

Bob Grier
    Participant

@tcsbgdady, I plan to be there at 10 am on Saturday as well.

Tom Frost
    Participant

I’m planning to be there at 10 also

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I’m running behind but I should be there by 10:15. I’d expected to be the last to pull my stuff out of the case regardless.

Tim

Everyone, great work again on the Summer Library display. The Librarians raved again about how popular the display always is (and keeps getting more popular each year). As soon as I know next year’s theme, I will let everyone know.

@tcsbgdadyb, how did the timer hold up throughout the summer? Was it still “on time” or did it get out of sync at some point? Just curious.

@pete
    @josh here is the Redemption Credits breakdown. Let me know if I missed anyone:

DISPLAY: Bob, Jim, Tom, Greg, Dan E., Ben, Josh, Tim
    SETUP: Bob, Jim, Tom, Dan E., Ben, Josh, Tim
    TEAR DOWN: Bob, Jim, Tom, Dan E., Ben

Josh
    Keymaster

these are added.

Viewing 23 posts - 76 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar