2019 Fall Display – PA Trolley

Home Forums LUG discussions 2019 Fall Display – PA Trolley

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Laura
    Participant

Pumpkin Trolley is rapidly approaching with the first weekend being October 12-13, and continuing on the 19-20, 26-27. As with years past this will be a “Fall” themed display. We will set up on the evening of Friday October 11th, prior to the first day of the event. Please let me know if you are interested, sign up on the doodle!

Skipper Mike
    Participant

I signed up for the install and will bring the Haunted House. I will probably be able to add some shifts in there I just don’t know when for sure yet.

Tim

I’ve got a few ideas based on doing a “spooky” fall/Halloween theme, in addition to the pumpkin patch and a larger corn maze. Do we have any tan LUG baseplates to use for the corn maze?

Skipper Mike
    Participant

Oh, I’ll also bring my Hidden Side set.

Phil Breneman
    Participant

@timf, I am not sure if the LUG has a stockpile of tan baseplates, but I have some that could be used if needed. I have 11 16×32 and 1 16×16 tan baseplates. Alternatively, I have 36 16×16 tan plates. Is this something you need ahead of time or at setup?

Tim

I have 11 16×32 and 1 16×16 tan baseplates. Alternatively, I have 36 16×16 tan plates. Is this something you need ahead of time or at setup?

I would need them in advance as I would need to put brown plates on them for the cornfield (with the uncovered tan area being the walking path). I could then attach the various cornstalks at setup.

Phil Breneman
    Participant

I have 11 16×32 and 1 16×16 tan baseplates. Alternatively, I have 36 16×16 tan plates. Is this something you need ahead of time or at setup?

I would need them in advance as I would need to put brown plates on them for the cornfield (with the uncovered tan area being the walking path). I could then attach the various cornstalks at setup.

Do you prefer baseplates or plates? what size are you planning? I talked to @joshhall and sounds like he could probably get them to you at Cranberry Library teardown if that works.

Bob Grier
    Participant

I signed up for the install and teardown for starters, and will see about adding another other shift or two as we get closer. I’ll keep up the tradition of having something HP related by doing something on the Forbidden Forest. Should be “spooky” enough!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

something on the Forbidden Forest.

Oooh, I LIKE it! Set 4865 Forbidden Forest is where Harry faces Voldemort. The bigger the forest, the spookier it will be! There was no Nagini when that original set was made. Maybe I should have a completely white version of King’s cross station with Gollum as the Voldemort homunculus cowering under a table. 🙂

Hey, maybe parts of the 75965 Rise of Voldemort set could fit into the graveyard that I have. Do you have one of those sets @rcgrier3406?

I have started converting my white version of the fishing store into something more haunted looking. Right now even more ideas for pumpkin trolley are surfacing in my brain but time will tell if I have a chance to try them.

Just throwing this out, since the LUG has 1×1 plates, is there an idea for a 48×48 mosaic we could make for an upcoming event?

Finally, the Forest Tractor 60181 and Harvester Transport 60223 are on sale at Amazon right now … could be used for a Fall scene. Ok, this caffeine-induced post is over.

Bob Grier
    Participant

Hey, maybe parts of the 75965 Rise of Voldemort set could fit into the graveyard that I have. Do you have one of those sets @rcgrier3406?

@greg
    , I don’t have it yet but I’m thinking about getting it (it’s only $18 on Amazon so the figs alone are almost worth that). So far for the Forbidden Forest I was thinking about combining Hagrid’s Hut, the Whomping Willow, Aragog’s Lair, the Petronus stuff, and a bunch of spooky trees, so an expanded graveyard would be a good addition. I’m up for collaborating on it if you are!

Tim

I have started converting my white version of the fishing store into something more haunted looking.

@greg I had the same thought – to build the Fishing store and make it dilapidated, with trees growing right up against it (and maybe one growing out of it), a swamp around it, and the Mystery Machine pulling up to investigate. Sounds like a classic episode of Scooby Doo to me. 😀

@rcgrier3406
    I also like the Forbidden Forest expansion idea. I should be able to contribute a baseplate or two of trees.

Tim

Just throwing this out, since the LUG has 1×1 plates, is there an idea for a 48×48 mosaic we could make for an upcoming event?

How about this guy for Pumpkin Trolley? The “Creeper” from Scooby Doo.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Pete
    Participant

How about the clown from IT

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I’m thinking about getting it (it’s only $18 on Amazon so the figs alone are almost worth that).

I had the same thought, its already in my “shopping cart”

for the Forbidden Forest

The best forbidden forest scene is Voldemort in the open glen with Harry at the other end, but maybe there should not be two scenes with Riddle vs. Potter?

a swamp around it, and the Mystery Machine pulling up to investigate

I have the Mystery Machine and I will add a diver with his arms straight out. I love your swamp idea and will try to add that too!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

how about this?

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Glad you all liked the spooky fish house in the swamp. This morning I covered the visible parts of the tan baseplate with dark bley to match the baseplates on either side. I can add two more 16 x 32 baseplates worth of swamp trees to the back if that would help.

As for the HP adjustments to the graveyard, I decided to forgo ordering the set and use what I had. There is a rather pathetic looking dual going between Voldemort and Harry. Maybe some trans 1×2 baseplates strung together could be more impressive. (Lightsaber handles were the only thing I could conjure to add lightsaber blades to the wands.)

I think the statue from Riddle’s grave is acceptable and I also added a deatheater version of Lucius Malfoy and a Cedric Diggory corpse. I forgot to include a portkey though … better fix that.

… and Voldemort is left-handed … doh!

Attachments:
    Tim

Like the swamp house. I also have the Mystery Machine but since you have that already, I will focus on the Forbidden Forest. And I see no reason not to have multiple Harry’s battling multiple Voldys. Different scenes from different books.

Bob Grier
    Participant

As for the HP adjustments to the graveyard, I decided to forgo ordering the set and use what I had. There is a rather pathetic looking dual going between Voldemort and Harry. Maybe some trans 1×2 baseplates strung together could be more impressive. (Lightsaber handles were the only thing I could conjure to add lightsaber blades to the wands.)

I think the statue from Riddle’s grave is acceptable and I also added a deatheater version of Lucius Malfoy and a Cedric Diggory corpse. I forgot to include a portkey though … better fix that.

@greg
    , I bought the set yesterday when I was at the LEGO store with my grandson, but I haven’t opened it yet. I’ll just focus on building Riddle’s grave and we can figure out how to add it into your larger graveyard. The set comes with a port key, Peter Pettigrew and a mis-formed Voldemort to go in the cauldron, so I’ll also bring those. I already had 2 Death Eaters, plus the one that came with the set, so I’ll have 3 to add to yours.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

@greg, I bought the set yesterday when I was at the LEGO store with my grandson, but I haven’t opened it yet. I’ll just focus on building Riddle’s grave and we can figure out how to add it into your larger graveyard. The set comes with a port key, Peter Pettigrew and a mis-formed Voldemort to go in the cauldron, so I’ll also bring those. I already had 2 Death Eaters, plus the one that came with the set, so I’ll have 3 to add to yours.

Bob, that sounds great! Also, do you have the Cedric Diggory that was in the CMF series? I don’t think I have that one, and it would make more sense than the brown haird kid in the Gryffindor shirt that I currently have.

P.S. I can’t help thinking that its too bad @hannah133 is no longer part of our HP LEGO schemes.

Bob Grier
    Participant

Bob, that sounds great! Also, do you have the Cedric Diggory that was in the CMF series? I don’t think I have that one, and it would make more sense than the brown haird kid in the Gryffindor shirt that I currently have.

P.S. I can’t help thinking that its too bad @hannah133 is no longer part of our HP LEGO schemes.

@greg
    , I actually have (2) Cedric’s, one from the CMF series and one from the new Hungarian Horntail set, so we’re covered.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I tried a new project for Pumpkin Trolley. Its comical how badly this missed the mark, yet its still recognizable. (Small scale with LEGO is hard.)

Also I upgraded the graveyard showdown a bit, adding transparent minifigs for Harry’s parents.

Attachments:
    Jim Rolfe
    Participant

@greg, I don’t have it yet but I’m thinking about getting it (it’s only $18 on Amazon so the figs alone are almost worth that). So far for the Forbidden Forest I was thinking about combining Hagrid’s Hut, the Whomping Willow, Aragog’s Lair, the Petronus stuff, and a bunch of spooky trees, so an expanded graveyard would be a good addition. I’m up for collaborating on it if you are!

I have like 15 of Aragog’s Lair. How many spiders do you want?

Plus all the current sets from the last 2 waves of HP and most of the wave prior. The Burrow is a little spooky/run down looking too.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Jim Rolfe.
    Bob Grier
    Participant

I have like 15 of Aragog’s Lair. How many spiders do you want?

Plus all the current sets from the last 2 waves of HP and most of the wave prior. The Burrow is a little spooky/run down looking too.

@tcsbgdady
    , I already have an Aragog, plus a variety of smaller spiders for Harry and Ron to “follow”. I’ve also built a “lair” for him that goes well beyond what comes with the set, and I’m working on some gnarly trees for the forest. Hadn’t thought about including multiple larger spiders in the forest around his lair, but if you want to bring a couple, I’m sure we can fit them into the scene.

I agree that the Burrow would fit the spooky theme (better than the Shrieking Shack set does), so we can certainly find a place for it if you want to bring it.

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

@rcgrier3406, I will build a few spiders and the burrow. Aragog has many children remeber!
    Maybe I can drop it off to @timf. I doubt I can make it to setup on the 11th as I pick my son up at 6PM in Center and the 12th we are out of town.

Tim

Maybe I can drop it off to Tim.

@tcsbgdady, certainly you can drop it off to me (or I can come pick it up) sometime the week of October 7.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar