2023 Winter Display Patrolley

Home Forums LUG discussions 2023 Winter Display Patrolley

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Laura
    Participant

After much discussion with the museum staff we have come to what I think is a much better plan for the location of our display at Santa Trolley this year. It is pretty much assured now that Santa Trolley will be the first event taking place out of the new “Welcome and Education Center” and we are going to be able to have our display in the new building rather than being sequestered away from the main center of activity. The plan currently is to put us in the center of what is dubbed “The History Wall” display, this will give us a large amount of space, and, for the first time in a museum display, we will have the chance to do a “wrap around” set up. This means guests will be able to walk all the way around the display area (similar to what we’ve done at Greenberg in the past) and will give us a chance to make a much more interesting display! Set up for Santa will take place on the weekend prior to Thanksgiving (Nov 18 & 19), the museum will be open during this time so we will have the area cordoned off so that guests do not come into the area. Santa Trolley takes place on November 24, 25, and 26 and December 2, 3, 9, 10, 16, and 17. Teardown will be after closing on the 17th. I think the chance to do a wrap around display will be an excellent opportunity to push the limits on what we can do as a group! So with that said, please let me know if you have interest in participating in this event, and what items you wish to contrinbute.

PS. I have added a rough layout drawing to give everyone an idea of where the space is in the new building. I don’t have exact measurements yet but I estimate the max display space to be around 20’x20′

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    John S
    Participant

I’m interested for sure. My winter town display is up to 7×3 baseplate and expanding as we speak.

Josh
    Keymaster

I can put effort into making sure the draw bridge works as a drawbridge

John S
    Participant

I can put effort into making sure the draw bridge works as a drawbridge

Either that or I’m going to be sliding under using a garage creeper lol.

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by John S.
    Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Oops never mind, I’m not available on those dates – désolé

I made elevated haunted houses for pumpkin trolley event last year, but all that stuff was removed … the hillside could become something more wintry if we are two tables deep again.

I also still have an alpine mosaic (see image below), but it is better displayed as a backdrop against a wall, not in a walk around display … just mentioning this in case the floor plan changes.

Attachments:
    John S
    Participant

I also still have an alpine mosaic (see image below), but it is better displayed as a backdrop against a wall, not in a walk around display … just mentioning this in case the floor plan changes.

I really like this idea. Easier than building an entire mountain!! Looks like bricks and plates built normally?

Tim

I’m looking forward to seeing and being in the new building! Exciting news!

Tim Brown
    Participant

Fingers crossed the teddy bear is done by then but it’s kinda stalled out so we’ll see.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

teddy bear

what’s this?

Tim Brown
    Participant

The next evolution of the Panda mosaic. A 3d teddy bear moc.

Jonathan Wagner
    Participant

You’ll see at Brick Fest but I have a new AT-AT MOC (much smaller than the Hoth Base) and it is on MILs plate so could be added if wanted.

Laura
    Participant

Okay so now it’s sounding like we’re going to be in the Classroom area in the new building, this means the display will most likely not be a walk around set up.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by Laura.
    Kerri Acierno
    Participant

I will send something. Probably a winter scene 1 or 2 baseplates.

Laura
    Participant

So after some discussion with staff at the museum the final decision is that we will be in the Exhibit area with a wrap around display, per my original post. I will have a layout drawn up once I am down there to see exactly how much space there is in the area, which will hopefully be later today.

Attachments:
    Dan (Beast)
    Participant

I’m new to these displays, this is at the PA trolley museum in Washington, right?

Would a small Peanuts xmas work for an addition to a big display?

Attachments:
    Josh
    Keymaster

just had a thought – the drawbridge for the gap can only do RC track. If we want to run 9v, we’ll want to loop around before the gap.

I can work on fixing the drawbridge, and maybe we can still put it there and use 9v wyes to break off a straight run of RC for the bridge. let me know what you think so I know if I need to focus putting the effort into a v2 in the next few weeks.

Josh
    Keymaster

I’m new to these displays, this is at the PA trolley museum in Washington, right?

Would a small Peanuts xmas work for an addition to a big display?

definitely, @howhardcoulditb! I was going to reiterate for the fall trolley, since we (as the lug) have put so much effort into the MILS and track infrastructure, it really does lend well to people creating small scenes to add onto the landscape. Trees, minifigs doing something, ponds, etc. anything can be put on the mils plates.

John S
    Participant

As we getting closer to install, wanted to provide some dimensions/options from me.

My personal display is 7×3 baseplates for just the town. I have a non-mils train running around making it 9×4 baseplates. I can adjust and bring what you wanted or needed.

For those that haven’t seen it before, the trolley runs back and forth in the road with custom pybricks code. Ice skating rink is now a self contained baseplate with four skaters.

Still some things to finish yet. Video here:

John S
    Participant

@laura do we have a layout/blue brick yet. Sign ups for display and staffing?

I would volunteer to assist with those, but I’m not familiar with the apps or how this show will work… Happy to try to learn to help out though!

Pete
    Participant

About 5 posts up from yours is the table layout. The sign up is in google sheets.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by Pete.
    John S
    Participant

Am I missing the link to the sign up Google sheets somewhere? Only 20 posts you think I’d be able to find it??

Pete
    Participant
    Jonathan Wagner
    Participant

Not every event has a Google sheet to sign up on…most we just sign up here

John S
    Participant

Thanks. Found it in the fall trolley post at the same time!

Will McDine
    Participant

I probably wont be able to attend due to my work schedule, but if needed I have several MILSed train tracks, road plates, and Buildings I can send along. In addition to fire trucks of course. Will likely need to find someone to take them out there, but I am not certain on that at this point.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar