Cranberry Library Summer Dispay 2016

Home Forums LUG discussions Cranberry Library Summer Dispay 2016

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Tim

From Rachel: Hi Tim!!!!
    We are absolutely interested! The theme is “On your mark, get set, read” which is essentially like exercise, sports, etc. Basically anything you guys do will be awesome though.
    And yes we will prob definitely want you guys for Cranberry Days. Thanks for being awesome to the Cranberry Library!!!!!!!!!!
    Rachel likes to use exclamation points. So the theme is “On your mark, get set, read”. Time to start generating ideas. Anyone up for building a track stadium and filling the stands with minifigs reading books?

OK, I have really let this lag. We need to really get this year’s summer display buttoned up. We normally install on the Saturday after school ends, which this year would be June 3. So, let’s start generating some ideas and get an idea of who is planning on contributing this year. Thanks!

Nick Chen
    Participant

Sounds like a good opportunity for racing? Race cars and books?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

#subbed

#interested

#butnotreadytocommittobuilding

#whoissurprised?

Tim

Race cars and books?

We certainly have a fair number of the Street Racer cars. We could do a section of track, pit lane, the Starter’s box, and a grandstand.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I second the race car idea. Do we have road base plates in LUG stock? Is there a finished half of the ravine that could go on the back side of the racetrack?

David H Donley
    Participant

Road Base Plates??????? Oh no. You must create brick roads.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

We have so many tires, we could stack them around the edges of the racetrack.

Are there cars already assembled in LUG stock? It would be awesome to have racecars from the Pixar movie CARS, but I did not see any CARS sets in our set inventory.

So Tim, what would need to be built in advance? Do we want any kind of start / finish line? How about an infield?

When would we build it?

How would we incorporate the “read” part of ready, set, read?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Road Base Plates??????? Oh no. You must create brick roads.

Indeed, like these ones I spotted in the comments of the link Josh posted the other day…

We have so many tires, we could stack them around the edges of the racetrack.

YES. YES. A THOUSAND TIMES YES. Only other way we’ll ever get rid of those is if @hacim uses them for his monster MOCs…

Inspiration pics. (Actually no tire walls here, but still.)

Greg Schubert
    Participant

create brick roads

Great idea! Please have them completed by June 3rd.

Micah Beideman
    Participant

I was actually thinking of redeeming like 2 cups of tires at the next meeting…

Nick Chen
    Participant

Where we are going. We don’t need roads. LOL

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I was actually thinking of redeeming like 2 cups of tires at the next meeting…

Unfortunately for you, that’s *after* we’ll have swiped them all for this display. 😀

Great idea! Please have them completed by June 3rd.

I’m an ideas man, Greg.

Did you see what I built for LVRR last weekend?!?

Where we are going. We don’t need roads. LOL

Well played, Nick.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Where we are going. We don’t need roads.

Coming from Nick, I’d guess that means Doc Brown vs. Ani Skywalker

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Tim

I suggest we build the Start/Finish area of a racetrack (think Indy 500) which would incorporate Grandstands, Start/Finish line, Flagman’s tower, part of Pit Lane, and in the back a garage area and infield (with drunken patrons, ladies and gentlemen!).

The “Read” part is a bit tricky. A few ideas: (1) have all the drivers reading a book while sitting in their cars prior to the race along with others reading as well; or (2) build a base which consists of the spines of huge books with the entire display sitting on top – perhaps two or three layers of “books” lying on their sides. #2 would look really cool but would be brick and time intensive to build.

I’ve got plenty of gray road plates to use. I also have plenty of black brick built road to use if the road plates don’t work.

Attached is the basic baseplate layout of the Cranberry display case, just to refresh everyone’s recollection.

P.S. Rachel asked about our ideas, I told her about the race track, she loves that idea. I also told her that we would work towards an installation date of Saturday, June 3. Some prep work can be done starting June 1.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Tim.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Tim.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Micah Beideman
    Participant

Yo, someone just BL 10k black tiles and we do road like this! Would totally be worth it: https://www.flickr.com/photos/legols/24590626493/

Seriously though, I think brick built roads would look a lot better, but idk how we would to the turns (other than what I linked to or that crazy think Matt linked to).

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Do we have road base plates in LUG stock?

Seriously though, I think brick built roads would look a lot better, but idk how we would to the turns (other than what I linked to or that crazy think Matt linked to).

I’m actually leaning toward Greg’s camp on this one. I have not gotten the sense that we, as a group, have had time / energy / inspiration for a high intensity display lately. Now, if someone does have the requisites for making a section of brick-built racetrack, I’m all for it – but it’s not likely to be me between now and three weeks from now unless I build while watching Pens games or something (hmm…)

Then again, these curved roads would easily pair with Tim’s existing SNOT roads using 1×4 black brick – just need a metric ton of black 1×2 plate and tile. Now I’m kinda intrigued by the idea… and bonus points to sway Greg – there’s a POLAR EXPRESS in one of Teunis’ photos! What do yinz think? Anyone have a stash of black plate/tile already?

Quick thoughts / rough estimates: if we do just a section of track with the start/finish line roughly centered (say on plate 17, or 16-17, or 16-18), the track could come in from offstage on plate 8, curve on 9 and 15, then curve again on 18 to 12 or 19 to 13, then exit on 14. So, 4 baseplates’ worth of curves total. From this photo, I’m counting ~24 1×2 plates along the outer edge of the curve, and 13 bricks wide for the road including the center stripes (Tim, how wide are yours?) capped with plate, which means 13×3+1 = 40 plates high, which means 20 pairs of plate/tile wide. Inner curve is ~14 1×2 plates long. So, one would need roughly 400 1×2 plates and 400 1×2 tiles to make one baseplate-sized curve. 1600 of each to do four curves. I found a US store with plenty of plates at $0.03, and another with tile at $0.08. So we’d be looking at roughly $175 to do four curves… or we could simplify the track plan and only do one or two curves.

What say ye, gents (@timf / @hacim / @greg / @solscud007 / @lunch36 / anyone else interested in this display)? Worth it? I’m sure we could knock them out in one build evening, if we had the parts…

Is there a finished half of the ravine that could go on the back side of the racetrack?

Not sure exactly what you’re envisioning here, Greg (I’m guessing you meant one cliff wall, as opposed to the view “up the canyon” that will be the viewer’s perspective for the completed ravine…) but I dunno that the ravine would fit in the display case while still leaving room for the racetrack… maybe @zbauer or @JoshHall, who’ve been more intimately involved in the ravine project, could comment as to the feasibility of taking one cliff to Cranberry, and the footprint that would entail (would it be 1×3 baseplates? 1×4? If it’s 2 baseplates deep, I think it’s a non-starter… if it could go on plates 4-6, though, it just might work.)

ONE MORE THING: does anyone feel like we have the chutzpah to tackle a similar display for any of the other branches I’ve talked to? I’d still like to try, but definitely don’t want to overcommit myself or the group… could also do a footrace / Olympics style build instead of another auto race…

Micah Beideman
    Participant

If we had the parts, I’d totally be up for helping build it.
    As far as other libraries go, though I love the idea, I’m not too sure if I can commit to too much more, still having BW builds I need to work on and whatnot…

Zach Bauer
    Participant

Is there a finished half of the ravine that could go on the back side of the racetrack?

Half of the ravine is finished and the other half is 70% ish done. There are 2 48X48 sections and 1 32X48 section that is complete. These ssections measure 15” high. They only go together 1 way but any and all of them could be used for whatever. I’ll try to finish the other half in the next couple weeks.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

There are 2 48X48 sections and 1 32X48 section that is complete.

Those are stud counts, or inches, @zbauer?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

What say ye, gents (@timf / @hacim / @greg / @solscud007 / @lunch36 / anyone else interested in this display)?

I’d advocate using what we already have to get the best effect for the least amount of work. This includes road baseplates with 2-6 straight roads and 4 turns to make a closed loop.

If it is possible to get a 10″ x 30″ (32 stud x 96 stud) hill section of the ravine, it can go on squares 4, 5 and 6.

Unless someone else has a bunch of cars, I can throw together standard LEGOLAND racecars like those from the Victory Lap Raceway set : http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?S=6395-1#T=S&O={} and maybe something like that set can serve as our start/finish line.

We can put tires around the perimeter (or not.) If we have fairly big tires to use as a perimeter, we can lay them down individually. I expect that stacked tires would fall over a lot while the display is setup inside that enclosed display.

Zach Bauer
    Participant

Those are stud counts, or inches, @zbauer?

LOL. Inches?!

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

LOL. Inches?!

Centimeters, then?

Zach Bauer
    Participant

Centimeters, then?

48 stud baseplate ya goof. And not to be confusing but it is approximately 15” high.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

48 stud baseplate ya goof. And not to be confusing but it is approximately 15” high.

But seriously, I thought the ravine covered one 40×40″ (128×128 stud) table. Which would mean one wall of the ravine would be 4×10″ baseplates, no? So when you said 32×48 (studs?), it didn’t seem long enough… now I’m all confuzored.

There are 2 48X48 sections and 1 32X48 section that is complete.

So, two 15″ (48×48 stud) baseplates, and one 32×48 (presumably a 32×32 + 16×32 baseplate?). Not precisely what we’d be looking for to fill the 10×30″ (32×96 stud) space on 4-6, but maybe we could work with it?

I’d advocate using what we already have to get the best effect for the least amount of work. This includes road baseplates with 2-6 straight roads and 4 turns to make a closed loop.

So, curve plates could be 9, 15, 19, 13. Or shrink it in if we wanted grandstands on the end or something, or just didn’t have enough road baseplates (does anyone have any? I might have, like, two…) Or if we don’t have a ravine on 4-6, we could make a slightly more interesting track that curves up on 19, left on 13, up on 12, left on 5, down on 4, left on 11, then down and right to mate back up at the Start/Finish line on 17.

Unless someone else has a bunch of cars, I can throw together standard LEGOLAND racecars

I still have this little guy assembled somewhere. But alas, I never got the bigger sets with the #1, #2, #3, #5, and #6 cars…

We can put tires around the perimeter (or not.) If we have fairly big tires to use as a perimeter, we can lay them down individually. I expect that stacked tires would fall over a lot while the display is setup inside that enclosed display.

I fear you underestimate @hacim’s skills at affixing unaffixable parts in ludicrous, yet effective ways…

I really think this would be worth seeing exactly what’s in LUG inventory, and experimenting with. It’d be a pretty easy way to spice up the road baseplates, no? Mayhaps I can see whether Josh can bring the tires (and any road baseplates?) up to ICF tomorrow / Saturday, and we can see where that gets us…

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Matt Redfield.
    Zach Bauer
    Participant

So, two 15″ (48×48 stud) baseplates, and one 32×48 (presumably a 32×32 + 16×32 baseplate?).

Yes.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 95 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar