CSC Locomotion Weekend – 1/14/23 – 1/15/23

Home Forums LUG discussions CSC Locomotion Weekend – 1/14/23 – 1/15/23

Tagged: ,

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 181 total)
  • Author
    Glenn Holland
    Participant

@joshhall “Also talked to Glenn a bit, and if we want to try to incorporate his trains, which need a wide radius track (which he has), we’re talking ~4x~8 baseplates for half a circle, so we’re looking at wanting a big foot print.”

Correct. If it becomes impractical, I can take a backseat with no problem, but running trains would be nice 🙂

There are reference instructions for R104 and R120 radius track on this site: http://l-gauge.org/wiki/index.php/Reference_Instructions

I can lend my track for this event. Let me know what I need to do.

Tim

We asked them for 8-10 of their 6′ tables. They’re having the event in Point View Hall, which is pretty sizable.

I have not heard anything further from the Science Center yet.

One possible option (the Center would need to confirm this is OK) is that we could set up on the floor and thus not be constrained with fitting onto tables (which could be much easier for Glenn to run his big trains). If we decided to explore this option, we would need to consider what kind of barrier (either physical or visual) might offer appropriate protection for the display.

PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

You guys have rechargeable batteries? Awesome.
    If there’s enough to spare, I’ll be glad to borrow some depending on what you’d like me to bring. If not, I can probably go back to plan b, stocking up on Costco wholesale batteries or getting my own rechargeables. (Any brand recommendations?)

Josh
    Keymaster

You guys have rechargeable batteries? Awesome.
    If there’s enough to spare, I’ll be glad to borrow some depending on what you’d like me to bring. If not, I can probably go back to plan b, stocking up on Costco wholesale batteries or getting my own rechargeables. (Any brand recommendations?)

We should, because we used to. Sometimes attrition takes effect, but the goal and mentality should be to let the LUG support the ambitions of members. We want LUG events to be easy, simple, and complete. We want members to do what they enjoy; building, displaying, and hanging out. No one joins a “buy batteries at costco” club:). Anytime any member thinks the LUG can provide something that will benefit the majority, please seek those opportunities. That’s the whole goal with the project purchase too- it makes doing large cohesive displays more accessible to all members.

Krista K

I have not heard anything further from the Science Center yet.

@timf nor I since the last email. They’re usually pretty crazy over Thanksgiving weekend, but I would expect that Nikki would reach out soon since it’s like 6 weeks away.

Tim

I’ll keep my eyes on my email and reach out to her next week if I do not hear from her by then.

Mitch
    Participant

Ive got a power functions cargo train I could run and would be interested in participating. not sure how it would work but at worst I would be happy to have my cargo train in the display maybe standing still and getting loaded up with cargo or something.

Krista K

I’ll keep my eyes on my email and reach out to her next week if I do not hear from her by then.

Thanks @timf

On a related but unrelated note, I was just at a holiday train display over the weekend and they did a scavenger hunt with random characters throughout the display. I’d be happy to pull some of my random figures and put together a hunt if there’s value/interest.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tim

Nicole just emailed me stating that the available space for our layout will be approx. 12′ x 20′ and that she is confirming that they can provide the necessary tables to cover that footprint (she is confident that they can but will confirm).

Glenn Holland
    Participant

I recognize that this may not be the point of our involvement, but I would like to offer up my modest collection of railroad artifacts to fill space should we find it necessary. I have a couple lanterns, historic photos and books, and plenty more.

If it’s not needed, no problem here. Happy to offer it anyway.

Tim

Per Saturday’s meeting, Nicole’s last email said that our available space is approx. 12′ x 20′ and that she is confirming that they can provide as many tables as we need. So from that basic footprint, we can begin to design a layout.

One question that was discussed briefly on Saturday and needs more discussion here is do we want to go for the maximum number of tracks (and trains) we can fit, and then fill in the intervening spaces with scenery? Or do we want to just do several tracks and have more scenery?

If we go max tracks, one issue is that we do not have enough MILs track. So doing less track means we could hopefully have most (if not all) of the track MILs’d.

Another question is how many trains do we (those who are planning to attend) actually have? I have a Metroliner, a Hogwarts Express, a BNSF engine, a Mersk, and a Santa Fe. Only the Metroliner is reliable long terms. Most of the other engines overheat after a period of time.

I’ll start to work on a draft Bluebrick this week and we can revise from there. I’ll also try to find out from Nicole if we are against a wall or out in the middle, which would affect the layout design.

Tim Brown
    Participant

I have 0 (well half a Hogwarts Express, but not counting that lol) trains/tracks yet. I do plan to make some train related items to be displayed. Maybe a loading crane, silo or some such that can be positioned next to or over the trains/tracks. I also plan to staff at least the last half of the 15th including tear down. My daughter Savannah does have a full Hogwarts Express, so she may want to send that.

Glenn Holland
    Participant

Josh Hall and I spent some time Friday to ballast the large radius curves. A 12×20 layout, even if just a simple double-track loop, would be awesome. That said, how much straight track is ready and available on MILS?

I have more than enough scale-model locomotives and cars to swap out throughout the day.

PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

I think if you run a switch yard on the back straight, you can swap out trains that overheat with other trains instead of running each one hours on end. 8hrs nonstop can do a lot of wear on tear on sets so having rest and run shifts may help, especially with the old 9v motors with those thermal fuses. Also, if you leave room for a couple spare lines, you can have some static displays for trains not currently running.

For anyone forming a roster of locos, I have available the Disney train (PU), Crocodile (PU) with my MOC Swiss rolling stock, the iconic Big Boy steam engine (PF), Challenger steam engine (PF), and Hidden Side diesel (9V), as well as a ton of rolling stock, including P.R.R. and steelworks stuff.

I’d be more than happy to drop a photo/list of all that I have.

EDIT: If anyone has a flyer for the event, I’ll be happy to re-post on my online pages. Might get a few admins to share it in their Lego train groups too.

Tim

I think if you run a switch yard on the back straight, you can swap out trains that overheat with other trains instead of running each one hours on end. 8hrs nonstop can do a lot of wear on tear on sets so having rest and run shifts may help, especially with the old 9v motors with those thermal fuses. Also, if you leave room for a couple spare lines, you can have some static displays for trains not currently running.

I always try to do both of these. I’ll only run a train 1-2 hours maximum before switching. Also it is nice to have several sidings to park trains not-in-use but so people can still see those.

Bob Grier
    Participant

I also like the idea of doing a switch yard with several sidings to store trains that aren’t running along one of the straights. If we leave space along the other straight for some train related builds, that will enable any “zero-train” LUG members that want to display to participate and hopefully help staff.

I would plan to bring Mr. Rogers Trolley, and the PA themed custom train (steam loco, 2 cars and caboose) that I had at Cranberry First Stop, both 9v. I also have a Hogwarts Express (without a motor at the moment), but since it sounds like we may already have several of those coming so I probably won’t bring it unless we need rolling stock to help fill up the sidings.

I’m also planning to bring the smaller Incline that we had at the Q4 meeting retrofitted with the Phil’s programmable Boost block and motor. This will be a good opportunity to get an extended run test on this to see how it holds up and how long the batteries last. As for train related scenery I can bring Hogsmeade Station and a water tower.

Beyond the trains, I suggest we also take stock on how many working speed controllers, connecting wires for 9v track and power supplies we have coming. I know at Santa Trolley Laura ended up having to use her own stuff because the two 9v connecting wires that the LUG has no longer work. There were several LUG speed controllers that worked, but only 1 power supply that had a plug compatible with the jack on the speed controller. I have one complete 9v set-up (speed controller, connecting wires and power supply) that I plan to bring.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Bob Grier.
    Mac
    Participant

I just wanted to add my thoughts to the recent conversation.

1. I also think a switch yard is a good idea. It sounds like most of the groups trains are 9v. I have the latest powered up version. I am curious if anyone other members are playing to bring trains that don’t require the powered track.

2. I think it is a good idea to at least have some non-train area for members to display. It doesnt need to be a huge area, but if we dont have any space for this we are essentially excluding members who dont have trains from participating. So I think a minumum of a small area is needed.

3. If there are broken controllers, or ones that need power suppliers to get working, I am happy to repair them or find the right power supplies to get them working.

Josh

Josh
    Keymaster

I
    3. If there are broken controllers, or ones that need power suppliers to get working, I am happy to repair them or find the right power supplies to get them working.

Careful what you volunteer for, you might be asked to follow through! Do you have experience with wiring/soldering? I can’t imagine we’re the first people in the world that wants to make lego connectors work again. If you’re serious about it, I’d recommend making arrangements to get what we have at the trolley museum.

I suggest we also take stock on how many working speed controllers, connecting wires for 9v track and power supplies we have coming… only 1 power supply that had a plug compatible with the jack on the speed controller

that’s a bummer. I know we used to have multiple…I agree on the inventory, and then we should document what we have on the inventory sheet so we know what we have and where it goes going forward.

As far as trains, since Glenn’s r104 and R120 track are just plastic, RC will certainly be the only option for the swooping curves.

We only currently have a left and right crossover MILS option, so if we wanted to get more rows, we’d have to build more.

We currently have 12 MILS double straight 32×32 baseplates. could build more with another build day or two. We still only have 1 double curve for lego R40 as well.

I know Glenn’s won’t work on the R40 crossovers. It won’t be the end of the world if we just have a few rows of straight track behind the ‘running’ track, perhaps on some of the blank gray MILS plates we have, even if they don’t have cross overs to tie into the mainline.

Mac
    Participant

@joshhall I am happy to try and fix any lego electronics or even work on some projects to potentially build cool new stuff. I have done a lot of soldering and circuit board repair / prototyping. I have a nice electronic work bench in my basement and have soldered 0603 components onto boards before. Which are .06 inches by .03 inches. And if I can’t do it at home, I will take it to work where we have an entire lab of equipment and a tech that solders under a microscope. Lets make arrangements to get me the broken stuff and I will get it repaired.

I started working on a layout in BlueBrick. I was just trying to get something more graphical to help the conversation and was working before Josh posted with details about what we have in MILS and the size of Glenn’s tracks. So I will update and add that.

One cool thing is if we identify what sections we need we can start to divide and conquer.

So am assuming the 20’x12′ section is the area we have to work with and left about 30″ around the outside for people to walk around. If that assumption is wrong let me know and I will adjust.

Then I put some tables down for a idea of what it would take. If the table sizes are different I can adjust.

I did a double loop with a train yard on the back and one extra loop on the corner to break it up. I tossed in some road and some orange areas which would be for some displays.

Again, this was just to get the conversation going more in a visual manner and perhaps start getting things defined a little better. Please offer suggestions and feedback and I will update. As I mentioned I did this before Josh gave the details, so I will put those in tomorrow after I get some other feedback.

Also, since we already have a Josh and it can be confusing with two of us. I think I will start using my nickname from a long time ago, Mac. Hopefully there isn’t another Mac already.

Mac

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Josh
    Keymaster

It’s typical to hollow out the center of the display for members to sit in/face the public. Even if it’s just a small gap to enter the middle (until someone gets ambitious and builds a drawbridge…)

That’s very gracious of you to go by Mac. I’m glad we didn’t have to settle it with a duel. I’ll call you whatever you want to be called (within reason 🙂 )

and correction, there are 22 double straight Mils sections already built.

Mac
    Participant

We could leave the larger orange section open so people can sit in the middle. That would be about 4×8 foot. I will work on a revision tomorrow and adjust the tables too. Do we know we can use the whole 12×20, or do we need to reduce the 12×20 to allow people room to walk around. That make a huge difference on what I am doing in BlueBrick.

Josh, sent me a private message sometime and we can coordinate getting the broken stuff to me for repair.

Mac

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I think you guys need something like this:

The Texas Curve

Mac
    Participant

At the quarterly meeting I saw someone had a model of the incline. I am sorry I didnt catch who it was. But I also heard of a larger model too. Should we think about including these in the display since they are a different type of train? Just at thought.

Mac

Bob Grier
    Participant

At the quarterly meeting I saw someone had a model of the incline. I am sorry I didnt catch who it was. But I also heard of a larger model too. Should we think about including these in the display since they are a different type of train? Just at thought

@jupdyke
    , I’m the one who has both the smaller and the larger model of the Incline. I’m planning to bring the smaller one, retrofitted with Phil’s programmable Boost block and motor that we were playing around with at the meeting. It’s 2 baseplates for space planning purposes.

The larger one takes up almost a full 6 ft. x 30″ table, so I think it’s too big for this event. Plus, the stop/pause/reverse functions on the big one relies 100% on mechanical gears, power function toggle switch and magnets, all of which have been weak links in terms of reliability.

My goal is to test out the durability of the programmable Boost block and motor on the smaller one before trying to retrofit that to the larger one and hopefully eliminate the mechanical gears, toggle switch and magnets.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Bob Grier.
    Mac
    Participant

@rcgrier3406 I have to say that model is impressive. Getting it to all fit in 2 baseplates and look that good. Honestly, ever since I saw it my mind has been playing around with building a similar one, but having a tunnel connected to it for the train to go through.

I will add 2 baseplates for the incline to the BlueBrick tonight for a rev2 version. This event is going to be a lot of fun.

Mac

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 181 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar