CSC Locomotion Weekend – 1/14/23 – 1/15/23

Home Forums LUG discussions CSC Locomotion Weekend – 1/14/23 – 1/15/23

Tagged: ,

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 181 total)
  • Author
    Krista K

The Science Center has reached out to see if we’re interested in being part of next year’s Locomotion Weekend, which will be January 14th and 15th with set up on Friday January 13th.

To all my train and town folks! Let me know if you’re interested. I have to let them know by Monday November 7th whether or not we’re able to attend.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

RUN ALL THE TRAINS!

P.S. Tell them yes, but only if I can get my graffiti back.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tim

Yes, count me in!

Will McDine
    Participant

Right now we are just too far out for me to give a hard yes or hard no. Worse comes to worse I can send something train related along.

Bob Grier
    Participant

I’m in!! Note to @joshhall, we should contact Dennis Bateman about switching out the current displays up on the 4th floor. Maybe something we can do in conjunction with this event.

Mac
    Participant

I have a small train collection, but would be happy to help. I just joined the LUG so I have never been part of a group build, but I would love to be part of it. Just let me know what I can do to help.

Laura
    Participant

I’m interested, have to check my availability for that weekend still.

Mac
    Participant

Since I am new to LUG I am not sure how these events are typically organized. I know there will be a quarterly meeting Dec 10th. But since the event is mid January I would assume some planning would happen before the Dec 10th meeting.

It sounds like we have 5 people for sure and possible a 6th depending on schedule. Has the LUG participated in this event in the past? If so what did we do then?

Do we have any idea of the size space we have to work within?
    Maybe we can get a list of what trains people are willing to bring to the event and set up?
    What about a theme or buildings that people already have or are willing to build before Jan?

Does the group have any standardization on MILS plates?

This is all new to me, so I am just curious how this all works. I have 2 trains I can bring, one is the Express Passenger Train (60337) and the other is the MOTORISED HOGWARTS EXPRESS 2004 (10132), which I am converting to run on the Powered Up system. I am happy to bring those and set them up.

I also am working building a small mountain / tunnel design. I just started that but I should have that done in time. I am planning that to be on a MILs plate.

I also saw a really cool thing that people have done. I am not sure if it would be frowned upon on not since it is not fully lego. But Adafruit has a blog post showing a OLED train display that shows the actual train schedule and updates.
    https://blog.adafruit.com/2012/06/25/oled-lego-train-schedule/

I was thinking about building something like this for my home display just because it would be cool. I am not sure if others would be interested in something like that. If I was going to build 1, I might as well build multiples if other people want them.

I am not trying to step on anyone’s toes, I am just excited to be part of this. So if I am overstepping or completely off topic please let me know.

Thanks,
    josh

Tim

Since I am new to LUG I am not sure how these events are typically organized. I know there will be a quarterly meeting Dec 10th. But since the event is mid January I would assume some planning would happen before the Dec 10th meeting.

Most planning is conducted here on the Forum within each event thread. We generally also discuss upcoming events at each Quarterly meeting.

It sounds like we have 5 people for sure and possible a 6th depending on schedule. Has the LUG participated in this event in the past? If so what did we do then?

While we have done multiple events at the Science Center, I believe this is a new event for us.

Do we have any idea of the size space we have to work within?
    Maybe we can get a list of what trains people are willing to bring to the event and set up?
    What about a theme or buildings that people already have or are willing to build before Jan?

I would love to basically just set up track for this event (maybe even with minimal scenery) and just run as many trains as we can simultaneously. I have multiple trains (Santa Fe, Metroliner, BNSF, Maersk, etc.) and I know there are many others in the LUG as well with trains. And we can not forget Monorail (@randomdan).

Does the group have any standardization on MILS plates?

Yes, we have a sizeable collection of MILS’d train track as well as many members have lots of track as well (MILS’d and non-MILS’d).

This is all new to me, so I am just curious how this all works. I have 2 trains I can bring, one is the Express Passenger Train (60337) and the other is the MOTORISED HOGWARTS EXPRESS 2004 (10132), which I am converting to run on the Powered Up system. I am happy to bring those and set them up.

I also am working building a small mountain / tunnel design. I just started that but I should have that done in time. I am planning that to be on a MILs plate.

That all sounds awesome! Looking forward to this event. Much will depend upon the amount of space the Science Center can allot to us.

Mac
    Participant

@timf That sounds awesome. I guess the first main step is to figure out how much space will be available.

In the mean time I am going to work on slowly converting my tracks to MILS plates. It is something I want to do anyway, so it isn’t a big deal. I am looking forward to being part of the next LUGBulk to be able to order more parts for MILs plates and ballasting the track. But in the mean time I will probably see what the local lego store has and maybe place an order on online.

Is there any limitation with running many trains at once? Since the new ones are bluetooth it probably isnt a problem to talk to many trains at once. I just was curious if there is any challenges.

The other thought I had was the batteries and charging them. I was doing some research to find a nice set of rechargeable batteries. Does anyone have a recommendation? Should we think about having a charging station to keep all the trains powered up.

Josh

Tim

Is there any limitation with running many trains at once? Since the new ones are bluetooth it probably isnt a problem to talk to many trains at once. I just was curious if there is any challenges.

I presume you mean running multiple trains on the same track? I really do not know – all of my trains are 9-V so I can only run one train per track. I don’t think we’ve ever tried to run multiple Power Functions trains on the same track. But developing and collaborating on more elaborate train layouts is definitely something in which I would participate.

The LUG has a set of rechargeable batteries and a charger (holds something like a dozen AA batteries) so we can charge and switch out batteries .

Mac
    Participant

@timf That is good to know that the LUG has a battery charger. My first Lego train was the 9v version and I really enjoyed it. There is something about the control box that is very satisfying to use. Turning that big yellow knob just feels great.

My newest train is the powered up version which runs on batteries. Personally I like this version better though. I always had trouble with keeping the powered tracks connected in larger displays. All it took was one section to not make electrical connection and the train stops. I know people use copper tape to help with this. But I like the train actually being the power source. The downside is you have to swap out batteries, but honestly they seem to last a pretty long time.

What I was originally questioning was the fact that the Power Function trains use IR for remote control and have 4 channels I believe. So I think that is the practical limit for running those types of trains in close proximity.

The Powered Up version uses Bluetooth communication to connect to a smart phone. I think it also uses the same method to connect to the controller. But personally I have never tried the controller since the smart phone app is great. Quick google searching shows the Powered up controller has 5 channels and can control 2 hubs at a time. So in theory 10 Powered Up trains could be controlled at the same time.

When you were saying run as many trains as possible, I was just thinking if we will start to run into communication issues.

Josh

Laura
    Participant

What I was originally questioning was the fact that the Power Function trains use IR for remote control and have 4 channels I believe. So I think that is the practical limit for running those types of trains in close proximity.

So you can technically run 8 Power functions trains at the same time because while there are only 4 channels you also have a blue and red side on the receiver and a blue and red side on the remote, allowing you to control 2 trains on 1 channel. Not that we’re going to need to run 8 PF trains.

Josh
    Keymaster

we’re going to need to run 8 PF trains

who said anything about “needs” ?

Dan
    Participant

Subbed

Glenn Holland
    Participant

It’s been a while since I participated, but as long as you’ll have me I would love to bring some trains. This is an event that I most likely can participate in.

I have unballasted track and plenty of “8-wide” models. I can also show up in full engineer or conductor clothes, because why not.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I can also show up in full engineer or conductor clothes, because why not.

One year at Brickfair they were selling t-shirts that read, “What would Jesus build?” under a drawing of a bearded man in a white robe holding a LEGO train, (maybe a Hogwarts Express.) 😀

Tim

It’s been a while since I participated, but as long as you’ll have me I would love to bring some trains.

Glenn, absolutely. It would be great to see you again. Full costume would be a bonus!

PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

A local opportunity for trains? Mark me as interested.
    I have detailed 8w builds I might be able to lend and run. Everything I have is R40 compliant so no need for third party wide radius track. I also have self-published books on train MOCs if you’re interested.

M.P.Lynes

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Glenn Holland
    Participant

What are the times for this event, including setup on Friday?

I will plan to bring some large radius curves and turnouts as well – that’s all I can use for the larger models. I have my own batteries and chargers.

Tim

@emperorofthenorthpole we’ve not been provided the details yet. Hopefully we’ll get that information from them within the next several weeks.

I do plan to ask the Science Center to provide tables for us (rather than load in and out the LUG tables), unless someone wants to take charge of transporting the LUG tables.

Tim Brown
    Participant

Subbing. Have to check my availability though.

PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

Keep us posted.

If it’s all greenlit, I have a ton of USA and Swiss cargo rolling stock and some huge steam engine mocs as well as the 60197 and 60337 Lego passenger train sets and the Croc and Disney trains. XD

I just gotta stock up on AAA batteries at Costco. LOL
    That inconvenience is where 9V will always be king.

Josh
    Keymaster

I just gotta stock up on AAA batteries at Costco. LOL
    That inconvenience is where 9V will always be king.

The lug does have a bunch of rechargeable batteries and a large charging dock. It’s worth validating inventory before this show though.

@knb112
    has there been more discussion around this? I was going to say that we should target having the entire display covered with our MILS project support builds, so firming up a layout will be key.

Also talked to Glenn a bit, and if we want to try to incorporate his trains, which need a wide radius track (which he has), we’re talking ~4x~8 baseplates for half a circle, so we’re looking at wanting a big foot print.

Krista K

@joshhall I looped @timf in since I’m not sure I can be onsite that weekend. We asked them for 8-10 of their 6′ tables. They’re having the event in Point View Hall, which is pretty sizable.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 181 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar