The Adventures of…

Home Forums LUG discussions The Adventures of…

Viewing 22 posts - 101 through 122 (of 122 total)
  • Author
    Pete
    Participant

Something with a sticky back.

Dan
    Participant

I think @kyle2022 or @playingwithechoes should be able to provide good sticker recommendations.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

@tfdesigns should also be able to help, he used stickers to make my White-Tron guys and they look great.

Kyle2022
    Participant

that is easy enough I have the lug logo already in a png. Also how many are you looking to get done? that would change my recommendations on what to do. If we are talking one maybe 2 then I would recommend using a clear sticker paper for a vinyl and a laser printer (less expensive) so the bleed will not be a big deal. If you are looking to more than say 20 then I would recommend to look at millionprints to have it uv printed on the part (more expensive)

Pete
    Participant

This would be really cool if we all got one.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

20 then I would recommend to look at millionprints to have it uv printed on the part

So is it something like $3 a part + shipping for UV printing? I could see lots of people wanting their own SteelCity mini LUG Doug.

Fwiw, I also took a photo of LUG Doug’s back.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

If it was my minifig LUGDoug, I would not feel the need to put the old logo on his back.

Your other option is to contact Citizen Brick and see if they’d print the logo and minifig face directly on the parts for you. You can expect high quality results, but it’s also likely to be quite expensive.

Also, I hate to rain on our parade here, but it just occurred to me – didn’t it come up at a meeting once that Lego doesn’t want us making minifigs with our logo? It was some sort of trademark issue.

Tim Brown
    Participant

“Thou shalt not touch the minifig” (Paraphrased)

-The Lego Group

Protecting the LEGO Minifigure Trademark – Official Statement

Looks like we are free to customize other components but the minifig is a trademark that we must steer clear of.

Tim Brown
    Participant

I imagine we could get around this by customizing a wearable minifig accessory…like a cape or vest, helmet, etc. Something that isn’t a minifig but could be used with a minifig, but….not a lawyer so can’t say for sure.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Sorry Greg, I think this one is DOA, it was a good idea while it lasted.

>> I imagine we could get around this by customizing a wearable minifig accessory…like a cape or vest, helmet, etc. Something that isn’t a minifig but could be used with a minifig, but….not a lawyer so can’t say for sure.

It’s not just an issue of being legally clear – we have recognized LUG status with TLG, and we don’t want to jeopardize that, especially considering it’s not like we’re gonna actually test it in court. But also, I find the idea of accessories to be unsatisfying. They raise all kinds of logistical issues for results I can’t get excited about.

The other workaround is do a knockoff LUGDoug, although I find this option to be very unsatisfying. It would be similar to how you can make your shirt black and gold and have it say ‘Pittsburgh Hockey Team’ on it, and put all kinds of stuff on it, but as soon as you put NHL, Pittsburgh Penguins, or the Pens’ logo on it, you’re in violation. For LUGDoug, we’d need to remove Steel City LUG from the logo, and we’d probably need to make the skyline unrecognizable as Pittsburgh. Doesn’t seem worth it to me, although maybe some people will disagree.

Years ago, I saw Citizen Brick torsos floating around at BrickFair, so I asked Joe for one, he gave me one, I asked him how much, and he said “That one’s on the house.” It only occurred to me today that most likely he gave it away because he knew he couldn’t sell it – he doesn’t know what I’m going to do with it, so if I’m just keeping it in my house, it’s fine. So we could make LUGDoug figs if they’re just for us to keep at home for our own enjoyment, but we’re not putting them in public displays or posting pics of them online. I also find that to be very unsatisfying.

Kyle2022
    Participant

I was unaware that this was brought up at a meeting. This was the second part I was asking about quantity. @bengood921 hit the nail on the head. Copyright is a pain I was going to recommend a shirt or hoodie with minifig outlined with the Logo in the center. But I remember having a conversation about this with Joe Meno (Brick Journal) when I met him at Brickfair in 2021 and Todd was not allowed to even sell something like that.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I agree that LEGO does not want LUG’s to use the word LEGO, the LEGO logo or the minifig design on custom clothing mostly because LEGO does not want the general public to think that LUG’s represent the LEGO company itself. Their legal justification is copyright.

However, I really don’t think that displaying a LEGO-made minifigure with a sticker on it is a copyright violation. LUG Doug himself is a copy of the minifig design, so the idea of not displaying a custom minifig in public or on social media, if it were a rule, should also apply to LUG Doug himself.

I am eager hear what the person who attended law school has to say about all of this.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

We don’t need a lawyer for this one. To start with, it’s not copyright, it’s trademark, so nothing about copyright applies here. Lego’s rationale is explained in the link that Tim B posted. I had said that “it came up” at a meeting, but that’s not strictly accurate, cause that makes it sound like it was a bit random, which I’m pretty sure it wasn’t. As I remember, it was deliberately brought up, either by Krista or by Josh, because Lego had sent out the notice that Tim B posted to all the LUGs, telling them that they should make sure all members were aware.

So you’re right, LUGDoug is in violation. I’m not sure what we want to do about that, or if anybody’s thought about it until today (I hadn’t). I can’t remember if it came up at the meeting. What I do remember discussed at the meeting was making a sigfig that’s wearing a LUG tshirt, or making figs wearing LUG tshirts to give out to the public. Both were a definite no.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

In that case, I’ll be taking a naked minifig to a children’s theme park. Lord have mercy on my soul.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Did they make a Geppetto minifig? You could try and position him as “Pinocchio in progress”.

Pete
    Participant

One of the years at Brickfest live when you bought a goodie bag you got a Brickfest live minifig. Not sure how they got away with it.

Tim Brown
    Participant

Lug Doug is a bit more complicated. He may or may not be in violation of the trademark. I would actually lean toward not. A trademark is really a protection on key identifiable marks/features of a product. It’s purpose is to ensure that if you buy a product with a specific trademark on it, that forms a sort of guarantee that you purchased an authentic product by and that was actually made by or on behalf of a specific entity. It’s not a whole sale protection of an idea like a patent or a copyright. Reasons I lean towards not is that you can’t mistake him for an actual minifig due to the size and material, he is not a toy or other merchandise that Lego actually produces/sells, and we are not selling him or any other product related to him. I think he would fall more under fair use similar to fan art. Again, that’s my slightly informed, due my small business, but not a trademark layer take.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> One of the years at Brickfest live when you bought a goodie bag you got a Brickfest live minifig. Not sure how they got away with it.

I’m under the impression that a lot of it was that TLG wasn’t always good at paying attention to what was going on in the adult community. I’m pretty sure I have minifigs with both BrickFair and BrickWorld logos on them that I also got in goodie bags, or maybe as free handouts. I also have a LUGnet minifig that’s from like twenty years ago, and I have a SnailLUG torso from just a couple years ago. (I’m always looking for torsos that can pass as regular t-shirts for minifigs to use in my town/train display, after the stuff I took to events from 2013-2015 looked like nineties video games, cause I kept repeating the same torsos, hair, and faces.)

My understanding with the notice that Tim B posted was that it was Lego basically saying “We’re paying attention now, and you can’t do it. If you were doing it, you have to stop.” I don’t think anybody was happy about it, but I don’t see how we have any kind of argument that we should be allowed to do it.

Krista K

Late to the party here, but all good points brought up. My understanding from the LAN is that LEGO is “aggressively protecting” the minifig. I’m not sure where LUG Doug falls in that or some 3-D printed figs I have, but it is a direction they’re moving in.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

They better start building another prison in Denmark because custom minifigs abound!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

So I just got notification about making stickers, probably because of all the stickers on my Lego train rolling stock. XD

They were made in two ways. First, the locomotives had UV ink printed on the parts by Millionprints.

The rolling stock livery were handmade by yours truly, using ink jet friendly paper from Amazon. I printed that on my printer, let it dry over night, and then sealed it with three coats of gloss sealant meant for drawings and artwork. Once that aired out another day or so, I cut them out with an exacto and a metal straight edge. Peeled off the backing and stuck them on. There’s a color chart online that lists the Lego RGB or HSL value so you can match closely on your computer and adjust as needed. The tan was pretty spot on, based on my Bhutanese Butter Tea refrigerated box car.

I used illustrator but you can use photoshop, paint, or whatever you have to make graphics and size to fit. I know even MS word has rulers in inches. What you print is your own liability. I know in the train world, Union Pacific and others don’t seem to care if you print their livery for custom trains. There’s quite a few home printers on Etsy, Ebay, etc. I guess they consider it free advertising? And our dear local PRR is defunct, as are a few other railroads.

LUG Doug has been around for years with the SCL logo laser etched on it. If you’re uncertain, you can always contact Lego in Denmark and give them the details about the project.

Nancy Flury Carlson
    Participant

This intellectual property discussion is interesting – does it mean we are downplaying LUGDoug’s travels? Seems like we should avoid tagging him on social media.

Viewing 22 posts - 101 through 122 (of 122 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar