Threadjacking

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Threadjacking

Viewing 25 posts - 1,226 through 1,250 (of 1,453 total)
  • Author
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Here is the complete inventory:

Fun and Funky VIP Add On Pack polybag

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Pittsburgh, this is why we can’t have nice things.

Meh, I swore vendetta against peppi’s years ago…

David Bacon
    Participant

Pittsburgh, this is why we can’t have nice things.

Meh, I swore vendetta against peppi’s years ago…

Haha, @greg did you notice the other face reflection when you took the picture? He looks a bit concerned at the Peppi’s sign you photographed.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by David Bacon.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Josh
    Keymaster

A friend sent me these pics of jeopardy tonight. They called it correct!

Attachments:
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

On the BrickFair site, there’s a Carlie Kohan of Pittsburgh PA registered for the Fredericksburg event next spring. Do we know who that is?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

On the BrickFair site, there’s a Carlie Kohan of Pittsburgh PA registered for the Fredericksburg event next spring. Do we know who that is?

There are profiles for Carlie Kohan on pinterest and linkedin. It says that she is a waitress/hostess from Glenshaw.

Btw, I tried to post links to Carlie’s profiles, but the message didn’t post. This happened with links to bricklink the other day … maybe this is a new defense feature to keep spam out.

Josh
    Keymaster
    Tom Frost
    Participant

We got the purple classic space torso in Series 22 collectible minifig “space creature”; now the helmet and airtanks are subtly included in a $130 lunar new year parade set.

Attachments:
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> We got the purple classic space torso in Series 22 collectible minifig “space creature”; now the helmet and airtanks are subtly included in a $130 lunar new year parade set.

Nice, I hadn’t picked up on that. This set was not on my list of ones to buy. I was able to get several space creatures on BL without too much difficulty, but I’m wondering how much these parts are gonna go for on BL and how available they’ll be. I remember when the Exo-Suit set was out, I never got any green astronauts other than what came in the set, because they were super expensive on BL and yet all got bought up quickly.

I’m also wondering if they’ll be on the LUGBulk list this year. I’m pretty sure the torso was not on there last year, I seem to recall looking through the list more than once trying to find it without success.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

We got the purple classic space torso in Series 22 collectible minifig “space creature”; now the helmet and airtanks are subtly included in a $130 lunar new year parade set.

Ooh, is this one to buy in bulk and make all the monies back in reselling rare parts?!?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

The most recent version of the LEGO mosaic maker is on sale at LEGO.com. It is basically a parts pack of 1×1 square plates, NOT 1×1 round tiles like most current mosaic sets.

At 4500 plates, the plates are essentially 0.022 cents each, which is lower than any bricklink store in the US. Of course there are the free shipping, 2x VIP points and other freebies this weekend too.

Josh
    Keymaster

The most recent version of the LEGO mosaic maker is on sale at LEGO.com. It is basically a parts pack of 1×1 square plates, NOT 1×1 round tiles like most current mosaic sets.

At 4500 plates, the plates are essentially 0.022 cents each, which is lower than any bricklink store in the US. Of course there are the free shipping, 2x VIP points and other freebies this weekend too.

not really a great variety of parts…it is tempting though…

Attachments:
    Josh
    Keymaster

updated screenshot with avg bricklink prices from the avg price of sales in the last 6 months. not an amazing value…

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

No, you’re not gonna get rich reselling these parts, but they are a bargain if you need them for something that has a lot of black and gold, for instance.

Renée
    Participant

When you’re in the Macy’s parade…

Attachments:
    Tim

Watching the Parade also. Interesting choice of song – “shake your money maker” made me think of shaking a box of Lego! 😀

Tim

very cool write up on the history of the LAN

https://bricknerd.com/home/the-lan-before-time-how-lego-began-engaging-with-afols-11-25-22?fbclid=IwAR2IspWrze8UJK598X_GjdcGZe5lJpjhreQpQw-V4B2lJXV-mq_2PktKeR4

This was a very interesting read. I was on LUGNET when Brad Justus first appeared and it was amazing then that a major company was reaching out to its consumers directly. This particular quote from Brad”s February 2000 post in retrospect is stunning in that TLG followed through on its stated objectives: “Among other activities, we will be helping to enable and participate in LEGO communities for older (i.e. adult) enthusiasts, and we will create (over time) products and other offerings with specific appeal to this group. This means not only bulk buying, but perhaps exclusive playthemes or product lines that are made even more valuable by the participation and input of the community.”

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

Watching the Parade also. Interesting choice of song – “shake your money maker” made me think of shaking a box of Lego! 😀

I think you mean “shake my money taker”! 🤣

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

For anybody who missed out on this one, this is quite possibly my all-time favorite Pittsburgh Dad moment. I think we need to get a copy of this song, and then take big speakers along to conventions and play it on infinite repeat during setup, so that all the other LUGs know that the best LUG is present and accounted for:

Phil Breneman
    Participant

I have attempted to purchase baseplate 606p01 three times from different BrickLink stores. Each time, I have received baseplate 80547pb01, one of which was missing a corner. Is it really that hard to tell the difference? Is quality control in general getting worse on BrickLink or is this just an unfortunate coincidence?

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

GLUED!!!!

I had been unaware of this set until today. Unlike with the fridge magnets, where it was pretty obvious why they started gluing, I can’t think of what their motivation might’ve been here.

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=852676-1

Greg Schubert
    Participant

with the fridge magnets

My first thought is that it is for the same reason, ie. they started gluing minifigs to magnets because before the figs were glued they were really valuable when separated from the magnets … you did not have to buy an entire set just to get certain figs.
    Maybe the same concern with the skulls / helmets. IDK, it is odd.

Attachments:
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

(WordPress didn’t like my post with links to BrickLink parts, even though presumably I did it the same way Phil did in his post, so I’m going to attempt to post it without the links. I’ll attempt a follow-up post with just the links, but if that doesn’t work, the zero of you who are truly interested will have to look up the parts manually. EDIT: it did not work.)

>> Is quality control in general getting worse on BrickLink or is this just an unfortunate coincidence?

Three in a row sounds like an unfortunate coincidence no matter what. But given the age of the parts, I’m guessing you bought them used. When you put new stuff into your Bricklink store, you’ve got the packaging and you just enter the set number and it comes up. When people buy used lots, they have to identify and manually enter every single part, and although I only buy used if I absolutely have to, it’s become clear to me over the years that a lot of people are lacking in even basic knowledge, especially when it comes to color.

It’s fairly common to see parts listed in colors that they don’t actually come in. It’s possible that it’s a non-production part like the kind Walter likes to by, but it’s rare. The vast majority of the time, they simply guessed on the color, got it wrong, and did not bother to confirm that it’s a real option for the part. It’s especially bizarre when they pick a color that Lego hasn’t used in nearly twenty years, such as medium orange for bright light orange or medium green for bright green.

I’m looking at part 30593. It comes in black and glow in the dark opaque. Right now there’s 11 lots listed as white. That’s not why I brought this one up, though. One time I ordered a dozen or so of these, new, and instead I received 58843 instead. On that one he at least understood the error as soon as I pointed it out, apologized, and refunded me, although I was disappointed that he did not have the correct parts to send.

A more frustrating one was where I ordered two of 30117 in trans-neon green, new, and instead got 30117pb03L and 30117pb03R. (Bricklink is also showing that 30117 has sold used in the past 6-months in trans-green, a color it doesn’t actually come in.) In this case, both items were listed in the store, so I was hoping I could still have the correct parts sent, but even though I carefully explained it and sent links to both parts, it was clear that she didn’t really understand what the problem was, and I never got the parts I really wanted. I did get a refund on the parts and on shipping, and there were other parts in the order, but if I’d known ahead of time how it was going to turn out, I would not have bothered placing it.

Three in a row still sounds like bad luck, but it could partially be explained that you’re asking for an older part that was available for three years, and instead got a slightly less old part that was available for ten years, which means it’s more likely to show up in people’s current collections. More recently, for entries of a particular piece, Lego has started including a ‘similar parts’ section, if relevant, which I have frequently found to be very helpful. I’ve noticed that they have not gotten to these particular road plates, presumably because parts that old and uncommon are lower priority. We have no way of knowing if it would have made a difference on your orders, but the fact that Lego hasn’t updated those particular entries yet didn’t help.

Maybe it wouldn’t matter. In official part listings for sets, I’ve seen parts listed that I’m pretty sure are wrong, where they used an older version of the part instead of the newest one. I’m not sure how common it is for Lego to fill the same set two different ways when one part is being phased out and a new one brought in, but if they’ve listed a part in a recent set that hasn’t been used in 40 years, then it’s probably not right, even though three other people had to approve the inventory for it go through.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> We got the purple classic space torso in Series 22 collectible minifig “space creature”; now the helmet and airtanks are subtly included in a $130 lunar new year parade set.

Yesterday on brickset-dot-com, they posted a review of this set. There’s already 53 comments, the very first of which reads:

“The eternal question: do I get a large set I have no interest in just to get the incomplete pieces to a purple classic spaceman?”

I haven’t scrolled through enough to see if anybody else addresses the issue. EDIT: I didn’t need to go far. The third person starts off with “I too am only here for the purple people parts!”

2nd EDIT: If I was smart I would have included the link in the original post:

https://brickset.com/article/86336/review-80111-lunar-new-year-parade

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

When you put new stuff into your Bricklink store, you’ve got the packaging and you just enter the set number and it comes up. When people buy used lots, they have to identify and manually enter every single part,

This is the big reason I haven’t ever delved into listing used in my store. Lots of effort, minimal value (ok, if we built enough inventory, we’d probably eventually get some good sized orders…) The likelihood of having dozens/hundreds/thousands of 1- and 2-piece lots is high.

And that plays on the back end too. Even with good organization, it takes a long time to pull an order with a bunch of lots. Kind of disheartening when pulling a $5-10 order takes an hour, and you know you already spent an hour or more listing those parts in the first place.

Viewing 25 posts - 1,226 through 1,250 (of 1,453 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar