Threadjacking

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Threadjacking

Viewing 25 posts - 1,326 through 1,350 (of 1,453 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Does anybody know anything about this part?

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=30151a#T=C&C=89

The reason I ask is: two weeks ago I did my giant sort of seven containers of Lego. A couple parts got my attention, and this is one of them. I didn’t count them up, but I’d say I ended up with two dozen or so in dark purple. They’re definitely the old version of this part (and therefore not 30151b), but either way, on BrickLink they do not list dark purple as an option, although for 30151a, there are some listed for sale. So the real question is, where’d they come from?

I don’t see how they could be knock-offs, because there were no used lots in the sort. Almost everything was from official sets purchased new, but there were some exceptions such as event kits from conventions. There were also some sealed bags from sets of unknown origin. Some were from my nephew’s collection – he aged out without finishing building all his sets, and my sister gave me the sealed bags and I just dumped them into the unsorted bins. But I was also awarded the prize for ‘Best Space’ at Bricks Cascade in 2020, which was a whole bunch of sealed bags from sets, but no instructions or boxes. I never took the time to figure out what sets they came from before dumping them into the unsorted as well, but I do remember there were a lot of treasure chests, and so I had assumed they were likely to be Minecraft. But I don’t really know.

Josh
    Keymaster

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=30151apb02#T=C&C=89

I’d guess here. Just like those yellow slopes we got from lug support that were missing the cars face printing on them.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> I’d guess here. Just like those yellow slopes we got from lug support that were missing the cars face printing on them.

I vaguely recall hearing about the yellow slopes. And I *think* I’m following you here, but just to be clear:

The idea is that the yellow slopes/purple domes were meant to have printing on them, but there was an error at the factory and the unprinted parts got bagged up with the rest of the set parts. Rather than just throw everything away, or fish out the unprinted parts and rebag, Lego decided to send out those sealed bags as part of LUG support (I know we’ve gotten plenty of sealed bags that weren’t part of complete sets). And then somehow one or two of those bags made it to me, most likely through either Bricks Cascade (I know conventions get their own support in a system similar but not identical to LUG support) or somebody associated with it such as the theme coordinator, who figured that giving the bags away at the con would be as good a use for the parts as any.

Sweet, thanks 😀 I don’t think I would have thought of that on my own. Unless somebody has an alternate and compelling explanation, I think I’m going to go with Josh’s as correct.

Josh
    Keymaster

Anyone ever hear about this rule?

LEGO designers crack the conspiracy of the long-lost LEGO goat

At around the same time, the LEGO Group came up with a distinct approach to new animals: anything meant to represent a live animal would be sculpted and moulded, while any statues of animals would be brick-built. (7189 Mill Village Raid includes both moulded chickens and a brick-built bird for its wind vane, for instance.)

maybe no longer an active rule?

Josh
    Keymaster
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

I was scrolling through an article on how to manage money and advertisements kept popping up that seemed somewhat counter to the article’s message. See attached. 😀

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

I have a sturdy cardboard box that is 18″x18″ on the base and 22″ tall. If someone has a MOC on a 15″x15″ baseplate that they want to transport, this would be large enough to to get your hands around the base to take it out or put it back in. You could even cut the box to a suitable height and cut holes in the sides for carrying it.

Actually, I have a lot of large boxes in storage, so if you are ever in need of a particular size, let me know.

Dan (Beast)
    Participant

Random Studio Question. While designing in Studio, is there a way to select (any color) while building the internal structure of a model?

I don’t care what color the inside is, and it would be helpful to use the (not applicable) option on colors for bricklink. That way I could get the cheapest bricks for the internal structure. Is there an easy way to do that?

I’ve been using a dark purple (a color I don’t use) and converting them once I get them into bricklink.

Thanks

Dan H

PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

Orient Express coming Nov 1. Anyone else excited for another Lego adult train model? Got the Croc but ended up having to make my own Swiss rolling stock for it. Hoping the OE passenger car will be all bricks and no special prints/stickers so I can build a few extras. Rumor is it may be just one passenger car, maybe two if we’re lucky.

If track compatible, I’ll be sure to motorize it as my rolling fleet is starting to be too cargo-orientated.

PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

Also as a heads up, if you go to the Lego store in Ross Park Mall and indulge yourself with the BIG sets, they’re actually empty boxes. Don’t panic. They’ll have to get you one from the back, and it’ll still be in its shipping cardboard box.

Case in point: my Ferrari Daytona SP3. XD
    I love walking out of the store with the big sets. LOLOL

Attachments:
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> Random Studio Question. While designing in Studio, is there a way to select (any color) while building the internal structure of a model?

As far as I can tell, no. I can’t see any way to select a part or change the color of a part without selecting a specific color.

On the Studio forums on the BrickLink website, there’s a section for submitting requests for features you’d like to see added. Since finding it several months ago, I haven’t time to read through it, and I don’t know how likely it is that any given request will get added. Presumably some are a lot more complicated to add than others, and some will be useful for a large number of people, while others are very very specific. I can see other people liking this idea. Also, if you submit the idea, and it turns out there *is* a way to do it, they’ll tell you how to do it and close the request.

Incidentally, we have a Studio thread here on the website, but the official name of it is Stud.io, so if you do a search for ‘Studio’, it may not come up. (Also, the thread is dominated by long-winded posts by your truly.)

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

This is 34 seconds of my life that I can’t get back:

Josh
    Keymaster

Hahahahah!

Go watch some more Don hertzfeldt

Tim

This is 34 seconds of my life that I can’t get back

And now, neither can I. Thanks, Ben.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> Thanks, Ben.

You’re welcome. But, to be clear, this is all Josh’s fault.

For those wondering, it came up at Otani at BFNoVA23 because Josh was wearing a t-shirt with the guy and the banana, and I asked him about it since I didn’t get the reference. (Although, when I watched the video and heard the guy’s voice, it made me think that I did actually see it way back in the day, and somehow managed to forget about its existence.) Josh had played the video for Amanda, who found it about as amusing as I did, but nonetheless, in an apparent bid to win the Spouse of the Year Award, found the t-shirt on the internet and ordered it for him as a surprise gift.

Josh
    Keymaster

For posterity, someone complimented me on the shirt at nova and got the reference. It’s like a super underground cool kids club. I assume it’s the same feeling someone would get if they got a Matt redfield allusion without assistance.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> For posterity, someone complimented me on the shirt at nova and got the reference. It’s like a super underground cool kids club.

The good news is, if you and Amanda aren’t sure what you’re going to dress up as for Halloween this year, I figured it out for you.

(Pics attached because WordPress didn’t like my links to Etsy and Amazon.)

Attachments:
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I assume it’s the same feeling someone would get if they got a Matt redfield allusion without assistance.

There’s an “Illusions, Michael” reference here somewhere…

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

I now love Ed Sheeran!

Attachments:
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

This show in Philly Brickfest starts 4 days after the Brickfest Live in Pittsburgh?

I’ll save Matt the time and add his favorite meme …

It’s *a* favorite, to be sure, but is it *the* favorite? When we have “beating a dead horse” and other classics?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I now love Ed Sheeran!

Only just now…?

Tim

Ed Sheeran and Rupert Grint may have been separated at birth.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

My son and I just built 20 battle packs worth of figures and a few snow speeder bikes.

Jim, please put this “Brickdiction – Seven Steps to Recovery into your Amazon cart.

PLAYINGWITHECHOES
    Participant

Heads up, @joshhall, @rcgrier3406, @knb112, @amplef0rth, and @watchwmarcella.

The 2023 Brick Train Awards are live and the Lug’s spectacular city display at the Pittsburgh Home and Garden Show would certainly qualify for “Best Overall Group Display.” Do you have any photos that you’d want to submit for it on their website or would you like to me to upload any good photos I have for it as “Steel City LUG”? It’s free to enter and gets Steel City’s name put out there to other Lego fans. If the Lug wins, it gets a bunch of nice custom BrixTrix track to add to the collection. Quite frankly, your city streets and buildings were top notched and the skyscrapers definitely jaw dropping. They made my big blue Schnabel car seem small and that’s saying something. 🙂

Tim

I say go for it!

Viewing 25 posts - 1,326 through 1,350 (of 1,453 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar