what the heck is Greg doing?

Home Forums All Things LEGO! what the heck is Greg doing?

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 373 total)
  • Author
    Renée
    Participant

I really like the mosaic floor in the entry using the envelope tiles. Sand green looks good with red and white.

@bengood921
    It’s just you, or maybe your new laptop.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Yeah, I don’t know what was going on, they’re coming in now, even though I didn’t do anything other than reload the page.

>> The red windows are 20th century LEGO

And by 20th century Lego you mean ‘from the 1970s’. I have a bunch of them from when I was a kid, but I’m pretty sure they’re all in terrible condition, so I’m not sure if I’ll ever use them.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

After 32 years (total) of teaching I’m officially retired! At the school I was known for trying desperately to run a marginally successful recycling program. 😀

• This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by Greg Schubert.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    John S
    Participant

Congratulations!

I suppose it could go either way with having more or less time for Lego now.

Dan
    Participant

The red windows are 20th century LEGO…

Arguably the best Lego 😊

Dan
    Participant

Congratulations on retirement!

Tim

Huge congratulations! You were a very well-liked teacher according to those FC students I knew (mainly my sons’ hockey teammates).

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Thanks everyone! It is bittersweet to leave a community that I belonged to for so long, but it was definitely time to let someone else take over.

Btw @timf, your son also played ultimate frisbee and I was the school sponsor for both the girls’ and boys’ teams. That’s how they knew me. 😉

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by Greg Schubert.
    Tim

Yes, both Jacob and Josh play Ultimate. I saw you at one of the winter league games at Wildwood but I was in the car on the phone with a client and by the time the call was over, you had left. Both want to continue to play in college (and Josh will be the team captain for Seneca Valley’s team next year).

Greg Schubert
    Participant

We were recently on vacation in a cabin in the wood; because I was expecting a lot of rain (and because of the double VIP points) I got a LEGO Rivendell set to work on with my son.

The box says 18+ and it is a crazy fun build! We dumped out one bag and my son said, popsicles and hotdogs??? 😀 Yes! that’s how they made the chairs for the Council of Elrond, the classic scene in which they decide what to do with the ring.

I photographed part of the build in front of a tree painting and then in a few natural settings. It was marginally successful … I discovered that you have to commit to creating a level location for the build.

Attachments:
    Dan
    Participant

The outdoor pictures are great! Looks like an interesting build!

Will McDine
    Participant

Man. Just getting caught up here. First and foremost, congratulations on your retirement Greg! A major milestone and a well deserved break. I am excited to see what you are able to build with all this new free time on your hands! And its interesting you posted about the Rivendell Set. I had looked at it several times and had always told myself I wasn’t going to purchase it on the simple fact that I have never seen the movies in their entirety and I was not the biggest fan of the bits and pieces I have watched. But I was looking at the box when I was at the store for double points and debated on picking it up solely for the build experience and parts….

Tim

I have never seen the movies in their entirety and I was not the biggest fan of the bits and pieces I have watched.

If you have any inclination, read the books first. Then watch the movies (Fellowship is a relatively faithful adaptation; Two Towers and Return of the King stray a bit more from the source material but are good movies nonetheless).

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Thanks Will. There are definitely references in the set to the book and the movies. One is an epic scene in which the ring and Sauron become separated.

I forget to mention that before we tackled the 6,000 piece set, we warmed up with a 1,000 piece LEGO puzzle. If anyone wants to borrow the puzzle for a rainy day, please let me know.

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

I was entertained to see 30-40 Galaxy Explorers for $100 at a single Walmart yesterday. I thought these were liquidated at $75 months ago.

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

The last “work in progress” photo of ST NICHOLAS memorial hospital … probably.

Attachments:
    Tim

There are definitely references in the set to the book and the movies.

(Warning: Incoming nerdy deep dive into the Tolkien legendarium.)So the sticker sheet looks really interesting. I’ve tried to figure out what is represented in all the scenes and here is what I have come up with. It was a lot of fun looking at this sticker sheet in great detail.

1. Celebrimbor and the other elven smiths of Eregion forge the rings of power.

2. Gondolin in the Echoriath (the Encircling Mountains). This one threw me off for a bit. It is a city but clearly not Minas Tirith (no stone prow jutting through the middle of the City, no depiction of the seven levels of the city, and no Tower of Echthelion at the top). So at first, I thought it might be the Grey Havens in Lindon, but there is no water; what might first appear to be water is actually stone. Next I thought it might be Minas Morgul but that would look much more sinister. Finally, since this sticker is depicted as a painting, a city from the First Age would be appropriate. Gondolin was the preeminent city in the First Age (an argument could be made for Menegroth in Doriath – King Thingol’s realm – as the preeminent city in the First Age, but that city was underground), it sat upon a hill in the middle of the Vale of Tumladen, and it’s preeminent features were its white walls and the Tower of King Turgon.

3. Earendil sailing to Valinor. While this scene could also be Tuor (Earendil’s father) trying to sail to Valinor, since Earendil actually made it there, and by doing so brought about the defeat of Melkor (and the end of the First Age), I am going with this being a depiction of Earendil.

4. Unknown. It could be the statute in Rivendell which holds the shards of Narsil but there is no other context on the sticker itself. Perhaps discovering where this sticker is placed within the set will lend a clue to a more definitive answer on the identity of the elf portrayed here.

5. Map of Middle Earth in the Third Age.

6. Battle between Elendil and Sauron on the slopes of Orodruin (Mount Doom).

7. Title to Bilbo’s book of his adventure to The Lonely Mountain.

8. Depiction of the aftermath of the Breaking of the Fellowship. One arrow shows the path of Frodo and Sam into the Emyn Muil after crossing the River Anduin. Another arrow shows the path of Merry and Pippin captured by the orcs and taken west towards Isengard, with a second arrow for the pursuing party of Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli. The last arrow shows the path of Boromir’s funeral boat sailing down Anduin to the Sea.

9. Map of Mordor showing Barad-Dur on the left and Mount Doom in the background, with an arrow pointed to each of them (perhaps to show the two paths that could have been taken – to Barad-Dur if captured by the Enemy or to Mount Doom if the Quest was to be successful).

The last “work in progress” photo of ST NICHOLAS memorial hospital … probably.

The completed hospital looks fantastic. I am looking forward to seeing it IRL.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by Tim. Reason: fixed a typo
    Tom Frost
    Participant

The hospital looks amazing!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Thank you @timf and @tfdesigns. 🙂 The pièce de résistance, has now been added.

Attachments:
    Tim

Nice! Is that a sticker or engraved?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I got really excited when I saw these White Slope, Curved 1 x 1 x 2/3 Double showing up on PaB walls because I thought of making terracotta-style snow-covered roofs. (I realize it makes as much sense as snow-covered palm trees, but whatever.)

Usually when I have an idea, I get online to see that someone else has already thought of it. 😛 This time, however, I did a Google image search and I could not find an example roof made this way. (It has probably been done, I just couldn’t it.)

Anyway, my preliminary idea, which uses several 4×8 black plates, is shown below; next, I’ll need a building to apply this idea to.

Attachments:
    Josh
    Keymaster

I mean….

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/the-madrigal-house-43202?ef_id=Cj0KCQjwkqSlBhDaARIsAFJANkiXZKIiFeT64qnrj225P-Rd0aOXhODHmcQfUfm9a7bSFZ9U1cCiOkcaAi8zEALw_wcB:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!790!3!!!!x!!!19932189580!&cmp=KAC-INI-GOOGUS-GO-US-EN-RE-SP-BUY-CREATE-PLA-SHOP-BP-SP-RN-PMAX_LOW_PRIORITY&gbraid=0AAAAADESMXKrqC_pPu6mr8M_sVIrY9P91&gclid=Cj0KCQjwkqSlBhDaARIsAFJANkiXZKIiFeT64qnrj225P-Rd0aOXhODHmcQfUfm9a7bSFZ9U1cCiOkcaAi8zEALw_wcB

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Yeah, I know the Madrigal House from Encanto, but thats really just a hint of the terracotta effect. I am confident that it has been on full display on some MOC at a LEGO show, but I just haven’t seen it yet.

Below is a photo I took of the rooftops of Nice, (pronounced “niece”) France from the top of their coliseum … this kind of roof is everywhere in France. I guess I don’t really need vertical offsets, which makes the technique easier to implement.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by Greg Schubert.
    Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

It is still legal in Michigan to sort LEGO parts into baby pools by color.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Has anyone had any luck with un-yellowing parts that were exposed to sunlight?

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 373 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar