what the heck is Greg doing?

Home Forums All Things LEGO! what the heck is Greg doing?

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 372 total)
  • Author
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Has anyone had any luck with un-yellowing parts that were exposed to sunlight?

See that Josh answered this question on Discord: Yeah, many years ago. In summary, it worked, but does seem to be temporary as I look at bricks years later. https://sixf00t4.com/2012/10/how-to-make-your-white-lego-bricks-white-again/

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> In summary, it worked, but does seem to be temporary as I look at bricks years later.

That was going to be my response too, although I have that information secondhand. Years ago we talked about getting together as a group and somebody with experience was going to guide us through it, and I bought whatever it is, hydrogen peroxide maybe? I bought four containers, but then was informed that I’d bought the wrong strength, and they sat on the floor of my bathroom closet for like 7 or 8 years before I finally got rid of them. So I’ve never done it.

I have a bunch of white from 90’s sets, mostly Exploriens, that I bought used on Ebay in 2005 before figuring out that that was not a good way to obtain those sets, that is noticeably different from the rest of the white I have, and I have my brother’s old Technic Super Car from 1994, which sat assembled in the sunlit family playroom for 7 years – there isn’t much white in it, but when I sorted out the parts, I initially mistook some of them as being tan. I also have some monorail curves I bought on BL that are noticeably more discolored than the rest of my monorail track, and I was told that it will work on other colors besides white. I also have a blue cement mixer tipper that is strangely discolored, even though the rest of the ones I own aren’t, and even though that’s a part from maybe 2012 and it’s been in storage almost the entire time I’ve owned it; I don’t know if it would work on that or not.

But I have to admit, I’ve kind of lost interest. Somebody I met at Fredericksburg told me that he did it, and it worked, but not only did the discoloration return, it came back fairly quickly, and he thought even worse than it had been before. So I might try it some day, but I’m not making any plans to rely on it.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Today I went to the LEGO store in Columbus, a fun little place in an outdoor mall. I spotted a DUPLO giraffe and my wife got a selfie with all her Friends, although they seemed somewhat unaware.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by Greg Schubert.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Pete
    Participant

I really like the Columbus store and the shopping center it is in.

Hannah Dow
    Participant

Next time give me a heads up, and I can meet you (or anyone else) there! You’re in my stomping grounds 🙂

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I’m just throwing out an idea here, but I was in LOWE’S the other day and saw this tape (see attached photos). Yellow is CAUTION, red is DANGER and white is Zombie Tape. Years ago at Brickfest in Alexandria, they used a type of yellow tape around the displays, but it was construction area tape with the LEGO logo between the words. I cannot remember if they used stanchions then, it was a very early version of LEGO conventions.

It seemed like a cool idea then, so I wondered if there was an interest in using caution tape, or maybe the Zombie tape for pumpkin trolley.

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

I’m finally using years of accumulated LUGbulk parts to build some winter trees.

Attachments:
    John S
    Participant

I’m finally using years of accumulated LUGbulk parts to build some winter trees.

These look great!! Will definitely be borrowing this!!

Tim

The dark green under the white looks fantastic.

Also, that is a nice picture of Kjeld. I believe in 2005, it was still held at the George Mason University law school. The background looks like one of those classrooms.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Next: winter display for the LEGO store …

and to threadjack my own thread, I noticed that bricklink now has assigned three and a half million user names!

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

If you saw this listing locally for $100, would you buy it?

Attachments:
    Dan
    Participant

Probably. Looks like it may have the yellow castle and some old boats that really float. Depends what you’re looking to build!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

The winter display for the store is basically finished; the base is 64 studs wide and 48 studs deep and it is no more than 10 inches tall. The 48 x 48 section separates from the rest so it can fit through the display case opening.

Attachments:
    Josh
    Keymaster

Ima need either back story or follow up. kgr8thxbye.

display looks wonderful, Greg. You are a winter soldier, for sure.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

display looks wonderful, Greg. You are a winter soldier, for sure.

I second that emotion. Actually, I first-ed it.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> The winter display for the store is basically finished

That looks really good, nice job capturing PPG place in the background.

Tim

I would be very tempted. Those are definitely Yellow Castle knights – very rare and valuable.

I presume the figure holding the trans light blue star is @tfdesigns yes? Presuming so, it is a nice visual pun (the figure looks like Tom and is holding some “frost”).

Tom Frost
    Participant

The winter display looks great! Thanks for the cameo

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Does anyone have a red 1×1 window to sell?

Attachments:
    Dan
    Participant

I’ll take a look. I know I have a 1x1x2 somewhere.

Bob Grier
    Participant

Not sure what you’re building, but if you don’t find one you could always use a 1×1 headlignt brick backwards. No little sloped shelf on the bottom, but it would give you the 1×1 square window.

Josh
    Keymaster

I have a 1 x 1 x 2 . Thought I Had some 1x1x1, but must have sold them already.

Will McDine
    Participant

It seemed like a cool idea then, so I wondered if there was an interest in using caution tape, or maybe the Zombie tape for pumpkin trolley.

Somehow just getting caught up here. This caught my eye as a creative solution to a problem. The only issue I see is that this tape is not really as strong as one might think it to be. The slightest bit of pressure from any child or adult will cause it to weaken and eventually rip. It is doable, and somewhat cheap to get multiple rolls. But it would be something we would need to stay on top of. Very creative idea no less!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

this tape is not really as strong as one might think

Yeah, I was thinking of it more as a decoration, not a deterrent.

Not sure what you’re building

Trying to complete the image below: it requires the pièce de résistance

Attachments:
    Tim

Trying to complete the image below

So you bought the lot? Nice. Are the minifigs in good shape?

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 372 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar