[ES] 2018 Cranberry Library Summer Display

Home Forums LUG discussions [ES] 2018 Cranberry Library Summer Display

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    Tim

Well at least SOMETHING was posted on the forum this weekend.

Yes, it has been a bit slow recently, in all the Forums. I’ve been busy reworking a few things: the top section of the Grant Building finally fell apart so I rebuilt it with much greater structural integrity; and lots of parts sorting which I have been putting off for months. 😀

Sean Collins
    Participant

Personally I’ve been working on cleaning up my LEGO and designing this new ship. Seeing that i only really build space stuff i dont think ill be able to contribute to displays for some time sadly.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

i only really build space stuff

ok, Benny

Hannah Dow
    Participant

@hannah133, I’m glad you like this start. Maybe you have not seen the Cranberry children’s library display case, we probably did the setups when you were already finished for the semester. Its a big display case, probably 6 feet wide and 4 feet deep and tall enough to stand in.

@rcgrier3406, the keyboard looks good, I like the detail of having the slope at the front of each black key, a feature that most people would overlook. Do you have enough tiles to do it this way? Even if you used bricks on their side and did not have raised black keys, it would still be recognizable. Minifigs could jump on the keys like in BIG. ?

I’m just remembering now, at one point Hannah was thinking about building a LEGO keyboard in which the keys actually move.

Yea, I usually peace-d outta Pittsburgh by the first week of May so I haven’t seen this display case. I’ll make some different sizes of music notes and post my progress likely this weekend 🙂

As for the moving piano, I did make it awhile back. I never got around to getting enough pieces for more than 4 keys and 3 black keys though, just a small mock up. Here’s the video I based the idea off of:

The premise is simple though, I built it sideways so that I could use a technic brick in the back that attached to an axle giving it an angle of rotation. I also didn’t have enough springs to build more than 4 keys (my black keys moved but didn’t return to normal).

But for this project, you wouldn’t need the springs. Just make keys on an axle then we can position minifigs atop ones that are “depressed” and for the others we can lay them atop clear 1×1 studs giving it the illusion that the key could go down if it wanted to.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Hannah Dow.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Hannah Dow.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

I like the design of the keyboard, they look very realistic.

I recruited Jonathon, who is home on Spring Break, to build the rock concert. He created the instruments, microphones and performers. I originally was thinking of using the Beatles and their submarine, but my son took this a totally different direction.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tim

Awesome, and good timing, with the next official trailer out today: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/avengers-infinity-war-trailer-2-reveals-a-lot-watc/1100-6457464/

Bob Grier
    Participant

As for the moving piano, I did make it awhile back. I never got around to getting enough pieces for more than 4 keys and 3 black keys though, just a small mock up. Here’s the video I based the idea off of: The premise is simple though, I built it sideways so that I could use a technic brick in the back that attached to an axle giving it an angle of rotation. I also didn’t have enough springs to build more than 4 keys (my black keys moved but didn’t return to normal).

But for this project, you wouldn’t need the springs. Just make keys on an axle then we can position minifigs atop ones that are “depressed” and for the others we can lay them atop clear 1×1 studs giving it the illusion that the key could go down if it wanted to.

I played around with the “moving keys” piano over the past few days (thanks for the video @hannah133, it helped a lot!). I was able to get a couple of white keys working with springs, and the “action/feel of those keys is actually pretty realistic, but I struggled a little in getting the black keys to work with the springs. Just means more playing around to do until I get the spacing and the feel right so they work. I think it would be cool to have at least some of the keys be “dynamic”, but I agree with Hannah that for the display we can make others “static” with some depressed to mount some minifigs on.

Tom Frost
    Participant

but my son took this a totally different direction.

I’m sure the kids at the library will get a kick out of the superhero rockers!

Hannah Dow
    Participant

Here’s some music notes I made today, they’re 7 studs tall (and then some for the treble clef). You can see the minifigs for size comparison. The red are just bricks I don’t have in black ?

Too big/small?

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

some music notes I made today

Great job, it looks like you were having fun! 🙂

Tom Frost
    Participant

Here’s some music notes I made today,

These are great Hannah! I think the size looks good. We will hang these from the top of the case with fishing line, and there’s room for lots of them. I think it would look nice if there were many colors. And I don’t think you need the tiles. Studs on top would be fine.

Hannah Dow
    Participant

I think it would look nice if there were many colors. And I don’t think you need the tiles. Studs on top would be fine.

good call! I’ll make a bunch more in varying colors and I’ll get rid of the tiles as well 🙂 less bricklinking for me lol

I also planned on making other double eighth notes have varying notes and not the same note side by side (e-f not e-e). Gives it more variety.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I also planned on making other double eighth notes have varying notes and not the same note side by side (e-f not e-e).

Nice! Now, just model us up a two-five turnaround chord progression, and we’ll be all set!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I added some lights and speakers to the stage / library roof.

Attachments:
    Tom Frost
    Participant

that looks fantastic @greg!

Tim

@greg, does the word “LIBRARIES” in the windows show up well in person? In the picture, the letters are not showing up very well. If I did not know they were there, I would likely miss them entirely. Maybe go with a different, more vibrant color? Unless you were going for subtlety. Not a criticism; just wondering. 🙂

Greg Schubert
    Participant

When there is no light coming in from the back, I guess that black and transclear are hard to distinguish. In the case of this most recent photo, the roof is covered and the back of the library is against a wall so no light is coming in. But there are floor to ceiling openings in the back which should allow light in. If that’s not going to work, then I would consider

1) a permanent light inside (probably not going to happen in the Cranberry library display case) or
    2) as you suggest, a contrasting color like white or yellow in place of the clear

Below is the original photo. What do you think?

Attachments:
    Josh
    Keymaster

I didn’t see it until Tim pointed it out.

Tim

Below is the original photo. What do you think?

It definitely shows up better in the original photo. We can make sure that the back is not covered (i.e. does not back up to the solid back wall of the display case) so light can get in.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Bob has been working on a keyboard and Hanna built musical notes. Is anyone else planning to add to the Cranberry library display?

Someone mentioned the possibility of having several libraries, like a quad on a college campus. We could easily have two more libraries, with more rocking on the roof. Some ideas are the Justice League Anniversary Party set, Batman rockers, super villains or even FRIENDS Pop Star sets.

Tim

Yes, I’m planning on contributing, perhaps by building the Cranberry Library. We need to have at least 10 people contribute as this is a Support Event.

Tom Frost
    Participant

Is anyone else planning to add to the Cranberry library display?

I am also planning on contributing in some capacity, maybe a big guitar

Dan Paoly
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I’m a new guy here looking to get involved with the group and thought I might be able to contribute to the display. Here is a picture of a rocker hand I made last night. It is 19 studs high and built with 2x bricks.

I was going to play around with adding Libraries Rock to it somehow but thought I’d post this to see if it fit the group display before going to far with it.

Dan

Attachments:
    Bob Grier
    Participant

Update on the keyboard with the dancing figs. It’s a little more than half done, so it’ll be ready in plenty of time. All “static” keys for this one, since it will be in the display case.

Attachments:
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Update on the keyboard with the dancing figs. It’s a little more than half done, so it’ll be ready in plenty of time. All “static” keys for this one, since it will be in the display case.

This is great.

But… that…. that guy doesn’t have pants on! #WhereAreMyPants?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 129 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar